+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FT: READING 2 - 1 CARDIFF CITY

FT: READING 2 - 1 CARDIFF CITY

Match facts

• Reading's 1-0 win over Cardiff in August ended a run of 12 league matches without a victory over the Bluebirds (D7 L5).
    • Cardiff have only failed to score in two of their past 31 matches against the Royals in league competition.
    • Reading's 1-0 victory over Fulham in midweek was just the second occasion this season that Jaap Stam's side have won at home having had less possession than their opponents (also vs Norwich).
    • The Royals have now won six of their past seven league games on home soil, losing just once.
    • Peter Whittingham has been directly involved in a higher share of Cardiff's Championship goals this season than any other player (32%).
    • Neil Warnock's side have picked up just one win in their past six away league games (D2 L3).

Re: READING v CARDIFF CITY. Matchday thread

Reading manager Jaap Stam told BBC Radio Berkshire:

"The (Madejski Stadium) pitch is not in a good condition. Everyone knows there's been rugby union and youth team games played on it a couple of times in recent weeks.

"These games need to be played in the stadium, but the pitch is in a very bad state to be fair.

"If you want to keep on playing well and keep on getting results, especially in how we want to play keeping possession and going forward, creating chances, it doesn't make it easy."

Cardiff manager Neil Warnock told BBC Radio Wales:

"We are quite capable of getting results everywhere, but the next five games are tough for us.

"Reading have been impressive, you just have to look at the results really and they are entertaining.

"I am looking forward to it. I have had some battles with Reading over the years and I have had some good results there really.

"It is a good stadium, they have a good owner. We would love to be in their situation in one year. That would be the aim."

Reading will have full-back Jordan Obita available after suspension for the Sky Bet Championship match against Cardiff.

Tyler Blackett stood in on the left side of defence for the 1-0 win over Fulham on Tuesday night so could retain his place, while captain Paul McShane is fit following a wrist problem.

Midfielder Roy Beerens will be hoping to make the starting XI again after marking his return to the team with the winning goal against the Cottagers.

Winger Callum Harriott (hamstring), midfielder Stephen Quinn (knee) and striker Deniss Rakels (ankle) remain out.

Cardiff defender Bruno Manga is unavailable after returning from Gabon's African Nations Cup campaign with knee ligament damage.

Manga is due to have a scan on Monday and Cardiff fear the centre-half could miss the rest of the season.

Anthony Pilkington also looks like missing out after being injured against Burton last weekend.

Pilkington sat out the 1-0 midweek defeat at Brighton and Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock is unlikely to risk the Republic of Ireland international after confirming he has only done some light running in training.

Rhys Healey starts

McGregor, Peltier, Richards, Morrison, Bamba, Halford, Ralls, Gunnarsson, Hoilett, Healey, Zohore

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    McGregor, Peltier, Richards, Morrison, Bamba, Halford, Ralls, Gunnarsson, Hoilett, Healey, Zohore

Why Warnock persists with Halford in there i have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Why Warnock persists with Halford in there i have no idea
    My thoughts too. There is literally no creativity in this side in midfield. Another long day at the office coming up I think.

Halford and Ralls are a waste of a shirt IMO (I'd love Ralls to be the playmaker in the side but he just doesn't have it in his locker based on past performances). So at least 2 strong midfield presences required next season if Whitts seems to have finally been deemed not good enough on his passing, deadballs and shooting alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Reading manager Jaap Stam told BBC Radio Berkshire:

"The (Madejski Stadium) pitch is not in a good condition. Everyone knows there's been rugby union and youth team games played on it a couple of times in recent weeks.

"These games need to be played in the stadium, but the pitch is in a very bad state to be fair.

"If you want to keep on playing well and keep on getting results, especially in how we want to play keeping possession and going forward, creating chances, it doesn't make it easy."

Cardiff manager Neil Warnock told BBC Radio Wales:

"We are quite capable of getting results everywhere, but the next five games are tough for us.

"Reading have been impressive, you just have to look at the results really and they are entertaining.

"I am looking forward to it. I have had some battles with Reading over the years and I have had some good results there really.

"It is a good stadium, they have a good owner. We would love to be in their situation in one year. That would be the aim."
    That was either a pointed dig at the permanently absent and thrifty Vinny, or Neil wasn't thinking clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    That was either a pointed dig at the permanently absent and thrifty Vinny, or Neil wasn't thinking clearly.
    I thought that, too

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I always get the feeling that Warnock gets his message across in his interviews. This is no exception and has almost resigned himself to not getting much from today, kind of giving himself the excuse.

After seeing the teamsheet, those travelling fans had better have an extra couple of beers as it's going to be another long afternoon!

Bamba booked.

Pitch looks shit

Reading (Danny W0 should have scored then.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Reading (Danny W0 should have scored then.
    Jazz could be in for a tough afternoon. Done up like a kipper and as you say, Williams should have scored

Ralls hit post (deflected)

Ralls cracking effort off the post :-(

We've got absolutely no quality about us going forward. Our passing and movement is dreadful.

We hit the post. Ralls

Pilkington injured and no Lambert or Bennett in the bench? Lambert must have got knackered running around for 10 minutes last week, and where is Bennett, is he injured? Declan John on the bench! No sign of Huws or O'Keefe. Looks like Warnock has written of some players and wants to play the younger ones like Healey, Harris and Kennedy over Lambert, No one and Whittingham.

Still 0-0 so there's hope and we sound OK.

Wycome one up at Spurs

Some tasty challenges going in and ref happy to let them go.
    Refreshing to see.
    City doing okay so far.

Healey and Zohore doing a decent job with scraps imo

1 - 0 Reading. Sounds as if McGregor was at fault for the goal

Oops. We were looking ok too.

That's a shame.