+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We desperately need at least one striker

We desperately need at least one striker

Ralls and Gunnarsson were by far our best players today.

Ken bless him will run all day but there are no goals in him. Healy shows promise but to rely on somebody who 4 weeks ago was up front for Newport shows how dire it is.

There was no alternative on the bench.

For me the major questions are why bring Kadeem on and leave Noone on the bench?
    Why play Halford at all - does Warnock really think he is better than Connolly cos I dont see it
    Why bring Kennedy on and wait for injury time to bring on Whittingham. Reading had camped into their own half for last 15 minutes and we just needed quality into the box - not Peltier or Jazz aimless punts

Reading were absolutely there for the taking

How on earth they are third. Worryingly they will be in the play offs along with Leeds and Leeds will murder them as they are so bang average

I know we aren't pretty to watch but christ I couldn't put up with that kicking it backwards and sideways crap. When did this football become the 'way' football is meant to be played.

Re: We desperately need at least one striker

Spot on mate. Also think our 2 centre halfs and Peltier were well on top.

Saw you today and called out 'Binman' ! You understandably snubbed me 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Spot on mate. Also think our 2 centre halfs and Peltier were well on top.

Saw you today and called out 'Binman' ! You understandably snubbed me ��
    I think our defenders came out well as Reading spent most of the game passing it about in their own half without bothering our defence - Bamba has now cost us the last 2 games......

Dident see you mate - see you Tuesday - nice to get to an away game!!

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    I think our defenders came out well as Reading spent most of the game passing it about in their own half without bothering our defence - Bamba has now cost us the last 2 games......

Dident see you mate - see you Tuesday - nice to get to an away game!!
    Yeah, see you Tues. Good day today, frustrating though as we don't seem a million miles off

We do need a striker but Healy and Zohore show promise.Its a direct fast runner we need an outlet to feed into. I thought that we looked better when Harris came on.The defenders didnt like handling him with his pace and close control.He looked like he could do something and made their defence look awkward. I see now why NW was after Hayes.

any of the ex-players who are coming from Kevs testimonial game out of contract ? ? ?

Unite, have got loads of them

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    We do need a striker but Healy and Zohore show promise.Its a direct fast runner we need an outlet to feed into. I thought that we looked better when Harris came on.The defenders didnt like handling him with his pace and close control.He looked like he could do something and made their defence look awkward. I see now why NW was after Hayes.
    Harris' problem is his ball control when trying to go around his man and the fact that his body language lets the defender know what he's about to do 2 or 3 secs before doing it, so invariably loses the ball once he makes the move.

He needs someone to show him how to feint to do something to make the defender unsure - and he's got to learn to stand his man up before trying to go past him.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Ralls and Gunnarsson were by far our best players today.

Ken bless him will run all day but there are no goals in him. Healy shows promise but to rely on somebody who 4 weeks ago was up front for Newport shows how dire it is.

There was no alternative on the bench.

For me the major questions are why bring Kadeem on and leave Noone on the bench?
    Why play Halford at all - does Warnock really think he is better than Connolly cos I dont see it
    Why bring Kennedy on and wait for injury time to bring on Whittingham. Reading had camped into their own half for last 15 minutes and we just needed quality into the box - not Peltier or Jazz aimless punts

Reading were absolutely there for the taking

How on earth they are third. Worryingly they will be in the play offs along with Leeds and Leeds will murder them as they are so bang average

I know we aren't pretty to watch but christ I couldn't put up with that kicking it backwards and sideways crap. When did this football become the 'way' football is meant to be played.
    Our problem is not strikers. Our problem for a long time has been creativity and supply.

We do not have central midfielders that can penetrate and weave passes and moves through defences. We have destroyers and "neat and tidy" players in this position but none with any flair.

We do not create enough chances. Look at all the strikers we've had over the past few years. Surely they can't all be bad? Kenwyne scored a decent amount but I'd argue that's because he was almost unstoppable in the air and took advantage of something we do have, good set piece delivery.

Ralls and Gunnarsson for all their engine and dirty work just do not possess the vision or quickness of thought to create chances.

We need a goalscoring striker and a creative midfielder with an eye for goal, but, if pushed, I would opt for the latter over the former.

However, it needs to be appreciated that it's not as simple as just bringing the type of players we say we need in, it has to be done while not weakening us in the parts of the game we are good at currently - and, despite our record this season, these areas do exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    Our problem is not strikers. Our problem for a long time has been creativity and supply.

We do not have central midfielders that can penetrate and weave passes and moves through defences. We have destroyers and "neat and tidy" players in this position but none with any flair.

We do not create enough chances. Look at all the strikers we've had over the past few years. Surely they can't all be bad? Kenwyne scored a decent amount but I'd argue that's because he was almost unstoppable in the air and took advantage of something we do have, good set piece delivery.

Ralls and Gunnarsson for all their engine and dirty work just do not possess the vision or quickness of thought to create chances.
    We do not create enough chances, true, but for the longest time under Slade we were picking from strikers who fell into one of three categories: i) couldn't score ii) wouldn't work for the team iii) couldn't reliably do either.

Looking at the analysis of the Liverpool game yesterday and Danny Murphy is talking about a lack of creativity from midfield and forwards all doing the same thing and nullifying their threat. If we're going to be a top team then the focus needs to be on both areas of the pitch rather than just one.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    If we're going to be a top team then the focus needs to be on both areas of the pitch rather than just one.
    No doubt. I've just been of the opinion for a long time that strikers aren't our main issue, creating chances for them is.

I'd like to see Whittingham play when Healey does. From watching the game yesterday he instinctively knows the runs to make, sort of Chopra-esque, I reckon Whitts could pick him out and put him through regularly.

No doubt. I've just been of the opinion for a long time that strikers aren't our main issue, creating chances for them is.

I'd like to see Whittingham play when Healey does. From watching the game yesterday he instinctively knows the runs to make, sort of Chopra-esque, I reckon Whitts could pick him out and put him through regularly.
    Speaking of Chops, we are so far away from a Thompson/Chops/McPhail partnership where hardwork is matched by creativity is matched by goal-scoring.

good shout this. bit of pace out wide, and we are not too far away in my opinion.

Playing with fire in not signing a decent striker

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We need a goalscoring striker and a creative midfielder with an eye for goal, but, if pushed, I would opt for the latter over the former.

However, it needs to be appreciated that it's not as simple as just bringing the type of players we say we need in, it has to be done while not weakening us in the parts of the game we are good at currently - and, despite our record this season, these areas do exist.
    From this season's perspective where Warnock has focused on getting the ball into the opposition penalty area with the minimum of 'effort', I'd agree. A few more goals would pretty much guarantee our survival. As for next season, my thoughts are that midfield is where the current midfield -Gunnarson excepted - needs a complete overhaul for us to even begin to think about challenging for the play offs..

IMO you're absolutely right about Whittingham. He has his weaknesses but until we bring in better he is the only midfielder capable of finding a telling pass to the strikers.

I was pleasantly surprised by yesterday's performance. However, we really should have got something out of that game. It seems as if the most basic of strikers would pay dividends at the moment. I was thinking even Leo or Pikey could create more of a goal threat that what we have out there now. There's got be to be some big, ugly monster out there in the lower divisions that could bang a few in for us.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised by yesterday's performance. However, we really should have got something out of that game. It seems as if the most basic of strikers would pay dividends at the moment. I was thinking even Leo or Pikey could create more of a goal threat that what we have out there now. There's got be to be some big, ugly monster out there in the lower divisions that could bang a few in for us.
    We've tried that with Revell, Parkin, Doyle etc and they have all flopped.

We've tried it with a more high profile striker like Lambert and it hasn't worked.

It seems pointless to go crazy in the next 48 hours on players unless they are going to be an investment that will strengthen us for next season.

I don't think we will go down with this current crop. In fact Warnock's form is not far off play off form on results gained. I'd only go for it this window if I felt we could challenge this year but while not impossible I don't think we are quite ready for that.

So I'd be happy if we could get rid of any more deadwood while the window is open, Lambert included if that's a possibility and maybe try to get the lad from Scotland as I think he'll help us now and be a good player for a challenging team next season.

If a striker did become available who could improve for the rest of the season to improve the squad I'd be OK with that as well, but as I say, no need to go for daft signings, maybe just one insurance signing to help see us safe this campaign and the Aberdeen lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    We've tried that with Revell, Parkin, Doyle etc and they have all flopped.

We've tried it with a more high profile striker like Lambert and it hasn't worked.

It seems pointless to go crazy in the next 48 hours on players unless they are going to be an investment that will strengthen us for next season.

I don't think we will go down with this current crop. In fact Warnock's form is not far off play off form on results gained. I'd only go for it this window if I felt we could challenge this year but while not impossible I don't think we are quite ready for that

So I'd be happy if we could get rid of any more deadwood while the window is open, Lambert included if that's a possibility and maybe try to get the lad from Scotland as I think he'll help us now and be a good player for a challenging team next season.

If a striker did become available who could improve for the rest of the season to improve the squad I'd be OK with that as well, but as I say, no need to go for daft signings, maybe just one insurance signing to help see us safe this campaign and the Aberdeen lad.
    Revell and Doyle were Slade purchases, enough said. Parkin was a cheap random Jones buy. None of them were youngsters who were likely to improve. Someone like Omar Boogle at 22 and scoring for fun would be worth a punt.

I haven't given up on Lambert yet. He's sill the best no 9 at the club IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I haven't given up on Lambert yet. He's sill the best no 9 at the club IMHO
    I agree, but he cannot play as a lone striker, he requires support either Zohore or Healey alongside him.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Speaking of Chops, we are so far away from a Thompson/Chops/McPhail partnership where hardwork is matched by creativity is matched by goal-scoring.
    I dunno , Thompson was painfully slow when chasing or running with the ball, oor Rickie(the shuffle) makes Thompson look like Usain Bolt.

Good to see McPhail gets a high level of retrospective appreciation.
    I remember when he was commonly labelled McFail, regularly described as a crab and barracked as soon as he was on the ball.

But . .we were happy ;)

I'd guess Rickie is what we will have until Ohhh ..those Su-huh-mmer ... Niiiiiiiihiiiiiights..

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Good to see McPhail gets a high level of retrospective appreciation.
    I remember when he was commonly labelled McFail, regularly described as a crab and barracked as soon as he was on the ball.

But . .we were happy ;)

I'd guess Rickie is what we will have until Ohhh ..those Su-huh-mmer ... Niiiiiiiihiiiiiights..
    The criticism of MacPhail used to blow my mind. What a lovely football player.