+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is Warnock the Manager for next Season?

Is Warnock the Manager for next Season?

Neil Warnock has done extremely well to get us clear of the relegation zone after the disastrous start to the season under the clueless Trollope. However he has stated quite clearly, provided money it made available, that he may stay on for one more season to have a crack at promotion. Is this however, to satisfy his own ambitions and not really in the best interests of the long term future of the Club.

Re: Is Warnock the Manager for next Season?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Silvers View Post
    Neil Warnock has done extremely well to get us clear of the relegation zone after the disastrous start to the season under the clueless Trollope. However he has stated quite clearly, provided money it made available, that he may stay on for one more season to have a crack at promotion. Is this however, to satisfy his own ambitions and not really in the best interests of the long term future of the Club.
    Fair poser.
    Personally I would without a doubt give him next season and if all goes to plan try and tempt him to stay on.
    Hypothetical of course as things need to go to plan this season first but if it doesn't, it won't be for the lack of trying.
    Warnock is the man!

Funnily enough, I was thinking about this on Friday evening and almost posted something similar.

I think it's a question worth asking.

We know that Warnock won't be here next season if the club aren't planning on funding a promotion attempt. We know there isn't the quality here to have a go at the playoffs.

So by logic, if Warnock is here in August, it's because there's money to spend. That, then, presents two possible scenarios.

1) Warnock is given the money with no assurances of whether he'll continue as manager in a year's time. This could mean we spend money getting promotion only for a new manager to rip up whatever Warnock has done and want to build his own team (and we all know where that approach gets us).

2) The club look longer term and give a new manager that money with a view to building towards promotion and developing a style, squad and structure that would survive in the Premier League, albeit that the new manager might end up taking us backwards again.

It's a peculiar conundrum that's got to be worthy of some discussion!

If this wasn't thought about before hiring Warnock then the club must be comfortable with the idea of backing a manager who is unlikely to take us further after that.

At the moment Warnock picks from a squad which was assembled by 5 managers each with different objectives and ideas (are there any Ole players left?), and there are real risks of having 3 managers in 3 years and the next man picking from a squad of 6 previous managers.

yes

If he gets money - yes - I think he knows what players he needs

If he doesn't get money - most definitely yes

Anyway he isn't going to get money we all know it anyway and he does to - however it suits him here til he retires unless the Plymouth job came up

Or Bristol City who like us he's always waxed lyrical about - canny old fox is Colin he knows how to play the game both on and off the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    If this wasn't thought about before hiring Warnock then the club must be comfortable with the idea of backing a manager who is unlikely to take us further after that.

At the moment Warnock picks from a squad which was assembled by 5 managers each with different objectives and ideas (are there any Ole players left?), and there are real risks of having 3 managers in 3 years and the next man picking from a squad of 6 previous managers.
    I reckon Warnock was brought in as a short term fix to stop us going down, with the possibility of going for promotion if that's what happens. Prior to that we had the club talking about "the Cardiff way", with the club developing its own style and identity. That didn't last long.

Yes - no matter what happens.

I hope he's here for next season because the last 3 managers were shite and I'd rather stay with him in as he's doing a good job IMO and we don't want another crap manager brought in like his 3 predecessors

My fear is that if Warnock intends having one more season to have a crack at promotion, then the signings he hopes to make might reflect this. If he fails and leaves, the Club could be left with players specifically bought to get promotion but not for the long term. I really don't want to see a situation created by OGS happening again.

My fear is that if Warnock intends having one more season to have a crack at promotion, then the signings he hopes to make might reflect this. If he fails and leaves, the Club could be left with players specifically bought to get promotion but not for the long term. I really don't want to see a situation created by OGS happening again.
    Or even Malky's promotion winning team. Brought to grind its way to promotion but not good enough for the top division.

I don't get any sense that what has happened so far between Warnock and Tan is anything more or less than Warnock was led to believe when he agreed to become manager. My own reading of the situation is that Tan wanted Warnock to keep us up this season and mount a promotion challenge next season. Therefore Warnocks and Tan's objectives are identical. This assumes that funds will be made available in the summer to bring in new players. By then Warnock will have proved his worth and will be considered trustworthy.

We would be mad not to continue with Warnock he's a tried and tested football manager , with a vast track record , does motivation well , no ones fool , spots talent ,has connections thwt others dont , better than all of our other prevous managers experiences and knowledge , from and including Malky, through to OGS , Slade , Trollope.

With Tan already writing off £8m a year plus the end of the parachute payments I can't envisage a large amount being available for Warnock to spend on a promotion push especially with average crowds of 15,000. Add in the fact we keep on giving has beens and average players long contracts, where will this additional funding come from without infringing FFP rules?

Unless Warnock is supported he said he's off, which would be disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Funnily enough, I was thinking about this on Friday evening and almost posted something similar.

I think it's a question worth asking.

We know that Warnock won't be here next season if the club aren't planning on funding a promotion attempt. We know there isn't the quality here to have a go at the playoffs.

So by logic, if Warnock is here in August, it's because there's money to spend. That, then, presents two possible scenarios.

1) Warnock is given the money with no assurances of whether he'll continue as manager in a year's time. This could mean we spend money getting promotion only for a new manager to rip up whatever Warnock has done and want to build his own team (and we all know where that approach gets us).

2) The club look longer term and give a new manager that money with a view to building towards promotion and developing a style, squad and structure that would survive in the Premier League, albeit that the new manager might end up taking us backwards again.

It's a peculiar conundrum that's got to be worthy of some discussion!
    Could Blackwell be a future manager under Warnock's tutelage? I'm not particularly impressed by Blackwell's name as a manger but on checking his past he took Leeds and Sheff Utd to within one game of the Premier league?

Personally I think Warnock should be given the funds and backing to prepare a side to kick of in August with genuine promotion ambitions.

"I'd like to get promotion next season," Warnock, who succeeded Paul Trollope in October, said. "I'm working hard to show the club what I can do.

"I've met the owner [Vincent Tan] and everybody else. Everything is very positive.

"I've told them in detail what I think we need, I gave them an in-depth look into my thoughts this week.

"And I'm sure they're going to come back and let me know if it's possible.

"It's a great club and I think we're showing them we know what we're doing.

"I don't want to pick up money without a chance of promotion. They know that and we get on really well. Vincent is very supportive."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    "I'd like to get promotion next season," Warnock, who succeeded Paul Trollope in October, said. "I'm working hard to show the club what I can do.

"I've met the owner [Vincent Tan] and everybody else. Everything is very positive.

"I've told them in detail what I think we need, I gave them an in-depth look into my thoughts this week.

"And I'm sure they're going to come back and let me know if it's possible.

"It's a great club and I think we're showing them we know what we're doing.

"I don't want to pick up money without a chance of promotion. They know that and we get on really well. Vincent is very supportive."
    That's the one

YES

Quote Originally Posted by JKB View Post
    With Tan already writing off £8m a year plus the end of the parachute payments I can't envisage a large amount being available for Warnock to spend on a promotion push especially with average crowds of 15,000. Add in the fact we keep on giving has beens and average players long contracts, where will this additional funding come from without infringing FFP rules?

Unless Warnock is supported he said he's off, which would be disappointing.
    I think Warnock understands he might well have to get rid of 6 existing players to create the budget to move forward.
    Let's face it, we have a lot of dross hanging in there and collecting wages.