+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Just got back....(well not really but...)

Just got back....(well not really but...)

I was at the game yesterday which followed a similar pattern to the Brighton game: we start with 5 at the back and I presume hope to score from a set piece or a breakaway, where a breakway is mainly hoofing it up to Zohore.

It is a shame as once we went behind, especially at 2-1 we created chances and Reading we glad to hear the final whistle.

That said, our passing was so poor especially in the first half, and Reading (as Brighton had done) passed the ball around on the floor very neatly. In fact the exact opposite to us!

As everyone says, we badly need a striker. If Zohore is the answer, then I want to know what the question is. Rhys Healy looked quite sharp and looks a decent prospect.

And is it just me that is less than impressed with MacGregor? The goal at Brighton seemed to go straight through him (it was hit hard, I admit), he could and should have held the shot for Reading's first goal and was very easily beaten for their second.

I can't help thinking from the way that the team went about these last two games that Colin would have been very pleased with a point from each, but deep down didn't expect us to get any. Which is quite depressing really. :-(

Re: Just got back....(well not really but...)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I was at the game yesterday which followed a similar pattern to the Brighton game: we start with 5 at the back and I presume hope to score from a set piece or a breakaway, where a breakway is mainly hoofing it up to Zohore.

It is a shame as once we went behind, especially at 2-1 we created chances and Reading we glad to hear the final whistle.

That said, our passing was so poor especially in the first half, and Reading (as Brighton had done) passed the ball around on the floor very neatly. In fact the exact opposite to us!

As everyone says, we badly need a striker. If Zohore is the answer, then I want to know what the question is. Rhys Healy looked quite sharp and looks a decent prospect.

And is it just me that is less than impressed with MacGregor? The goal at Brighton seemed to go straight through him (it was hit hard, I admit), he could and should have held the shot for Reading's first goal and was very easily beaten for their second.

I can't help thinking from the way that the team went about these last two games that Colin would have been very pleased with a point from each, but deep down didn't expect us to get any. Which is quite depressing really. :-(
    Sorry, I meant to add: why did Colin sign Halford? Does he honestly offer us something that we don't already have in Connolly or someone else? I just can't see it. Yet anyway.

That's a few I've seen criticise McGregor for the first, but it looked to me ( and I was close to the front) that the ball was hit hard into a cut up area and he actually did as well as possible with it.

What I saw on the video seemed to back that up.

We had a lot of the ball in the second half and got into some great positions but there's no end product. The nearest we came was the miskick from their defender which was well saved. Great support from our fans who never stopped singing. We need 4 point from the Preston and Norwich home games or we'll be looking nervously over our shoulders again with 2 difficult away games to follow.

I think bringing MacGregor and Halford into the team in place of Murphy and Whittingham has weakened us. I think we would have drawn at least one of the games had Murphy played and it's criminal that he was dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I think bringing MacGregor and Halford into the team in place of Murphy and Whittingham has weakened us. I think we would have drawn at least one of the games had Murphy played and it's criminal that he was dropped.
    Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    That's a few I've seen criticise McGregor for the first, but it looked to me ( and I was close to the front) that the ball was hit hard into a cut up area and he actually did as well as possible with it.

What I saw on the video seemed to back that up.
    Not sure about that. All keepers are trained to make sure the ball doesn't end up in the danger area if possible and he should have been able to push that away for a corner. Once he'd saved the ball that should never have ended up as a goal.

In defence of his errors, he's rusty and I hope and expect game time will improve his match craft a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Not sure about that. All keepers are trained to make sure the ball doesn't end up in the danger area if possible and he should have been able to push that away for a corner. Once he'd saved the ball that should never have ended up as a goal.

In defence of his errors, he's rusty and I hope and expect game time will improve his match craft a lot.
    Quite. It was a great back heel but an international goalkeeper should have done better in the first place not permitting the situation to arise.

I am still to be convinced. And that is without mentioning his kicking.........

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Quite. It was a great back heel but an international goalkeeper should have done better in the first place not permitting the situation to arise.

I am still to be convinced. And that is without mentioning his kicking.........
    The pitch was cut to pieces in that area, there was no way he could have controlled where the ball went.
    I was shocked at how bad the pitch was.

I was stood literally 10 yards away from the incident and didn't for a second think 'he should have done better'

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    The pitch was cut to pieces in that area, there was no way he could have controlled where the ball went.
    I was shocked at how bad the pitch was.

I was stood literally 10 yards away from the incident and didn't for a second think 'he should have done better'
    I'm happy to concede that you had a better view of what happened than what was shown on the TV. Perhaps it's just the pessimist in me seeing things that are not there.

Looking forward to tomorrow night now