+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who was there for the R.Madrid game?

Re: Who was there for the R.Madrid game?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes but were you there for the Esbjerg game l ask,plenty of room that night

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    I was on the Bob Bank near the front having been taken with a friend & his father.
    I was 9 years old & it was my first ever game.
    The atmosphere was totally unbelievable & I have been hooked on the bluebirds ever since.
    You were like a rabbit in headl... nevermind.

I was there halfway up the Bob Bank with a blue & white scarf, me mam knitted me. The crowd surges were pretty dangerous during the match & exiting the ground you were picked up off your feet, especially on the slope down to the back of the Canton Stand.

Great days and if anyone has a ticket stub, get in contact ;)

Oh, and Kingy got booked for a foul. :)

Another one stood on the Grange End seeing my first ever match. I was 11 and was half way up the stand with my Dad and brother.

Spent the night taking it in turns to be sat on my Dad's shoulders to see properly and the things I remember were:

- the unbelievable noise when we scored
    - the experience of the 10 yards surge down the steps in the midst of a wave of people to end up within 5 yards of the net when we scored. Looking back it was really dangerous but I just felt alive in a sea of noise and happiness at the time
    - the noise that was made by the fans stamping on the wooden steps - really primitive and powerful
    - the hordes of fans coming in for free over the back wall
    - the rubbish under the wooden stand
    - the air of decay around the ground even then
    - the otherworldly nature of the whole occasion under the floodlights

Looking back I was hooked from that moment on the collective passion and noise that came from that first drug hit when we scored.

Been searching for it ever since and for just the odd, magical moment it is glimpsed again. Of all the memorable occasions we've been privileged to witness in the past decade or so, the moment that has come closest for me since then was Turner's equaliser at Wembley and again I was privileged to witness it with my Dad.

In the end being a fan boils down to who you share the good memories with and I've had some great people around me for many years now to have a grumble with or to share the excitement of possibilities opening up.

Thanks for that link. Nice to read about Brian Clark. Top bloke. I played squash fairly regularly with him. He was such a modest bloke i could never get him to talk about his time with Cardiff City.

I was 25 years old and working in London. I travelled down to the game and drove back immediately after the game. Totally knackered but well worth it.

Remember it well. I was 98 at the time, and I had all my own teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    I wasn't, 6 years before I was born.
    I've just watched the highlights on ewe tube and was wondering, what was the crowd like, it looked mental, like you couldn't move.

What did you do before and after the match. Drunk? Hungover? Any memories of what looked a great night

Still in the infants school and this was my first visit to Ninian Park, I remember being down the front of the Bob Bank and I'm sure there were scaffolding poles around the camera that was at pitch side?

The noise when Brian Clark scored was unbelievable and I was hooked!!!!

Cardiff City beat the champions of Europe so every one was saying, I remember walking home thinking it must be like this every game?

The only other game that I think compares to that was the Hereford match in 1976, I stood in the enclosure with my Dad and I'm convinced there were more than 36000 there for that game?

Banned

There's some really good stories on here. Keep em coming lads.

I was halfway up the Grange End with my father. He insisted on standing in front of a barrier and I couldn't see why until crowd surges happened and flowed past either side of us.
    I was amazed watching Madrid and Zaragoza in those cup matches by the shirt pulling, sly kicks, feigning injury and referee baiting that those damn foreigners got away with. None of the good, honest clogging and leg breaking we were used to seeing.