+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who was there for the R.Madrid game?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Who was there for the R.Madrid game?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I was there standing on the Bob Bank. From memory I think the match was pay at the gate but could be wrong. The atmosphere was electric. Although it has not been mentioned much since, at the time we played the match Real Madrid were going through an indifferent period of form and it seemed to me we could have won by more than the single goal. I can't remember what I did before or afterwards as it was far too long ago and I doubt whether many can.
    Don't think you could pay on gate.
    I bought my ticket a few weeks beforehand. The were approx. 45,000 in the ground that day. Fantastic atmosphere, though I think the atmosphere at the Leeds cup game was better, even though the crowd was restricted to half that of RM game.
    I was 16, and stood behind the goal on the Grange end.
    We could hardly move independently.
    When Brian headed that goal, the whole end (prob the whole ground) jumped up in unison.
    It's a wonder the stand didn't collapse. (It was the old wooden one, demolished in the wake of the Bradford fire. )

The real question (no pun intended) is what happened in Madrid, when we lost 2-0.
    If my memory serves correctly, Gary Bell was on the ground, having been hit by something thrown from the stands, when the first goal went in.
    And bizarrely, wasn't allowed treatment, and was still on the ground when the second went in a minute later.
    Last edited by bobh; 30-01-17 at 14:46.

Wasn't pay at the gate but tickets were easily obtainable from various newsagents around the area. Bought mine in one in Rumney. 16 at the time but memories of the game are a bit hazy, we were getting decent crowds at the time in the league, usually 20,000+, 30,000 there for a battering of QPR.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wasn't pay at the gate but tickets were easily obtainable from various newsagents around the area. Bought mine in one in Rumney. 16 at the time but memories of the game are a bit hazy, we were getting decent crowds at the time in the league, usually 20,000+, 30,000 there for a battering of QPR.
    Was that the 4-2 QPR game

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Don't think you could pay on gate.
    I bought my ticket a few weeks beforehand. The were approx. 45,000 in the ground that day. Fantastic atmosphere, though I think the atmosphere at the Leeds cup game was better, even though the crowd was restricted to half that of RM game.
    I was 16, and stood behind the goal on the Grange end.
    We could hardly move independently.
    When Brian headed that goal, the whole end (prob the whole ground) jumped up in unison.
    It's a wonder the stand didn't collapse. (It was the old wooden one, demolished in the wake of the Bradford fire. )

The real question (no pun intended) is what happened in Madrid, when we lost 2-0.
    If my memory serves correctly, Gary Bell was on the ground, having been hit by something thrown from the stands, when the first goal went in.
    And bizarrely, wasn't allowed treatment, and was still on the ground when the second went in a minute later.
    Definitely pay on the gate. Absolutely manic atmosphere and the only other close to that was the semi final against Hamburg. 2 brilliant nights to remember, only downside was defeat by Hamburg.
    Villa game Easter 1960 came close, Graham Moore goal and promotion.
    Last edited by Cleve van Leef; 30-01-17 at 15:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Definitely pay on the gate. Absolutely manic atmosphere and the only other close to that was the semi final against Hamburg. 2 brilliant nights to remember, only downside was defeat by Hamburg.
    Villa game Easter 1960 came close, Graham Moore goal and promotion.

Don't wanna get into a great debate about this, BUT, as others have said, "They bought their tickets".

I feel that it was all ticket and mine cost 8 shillings (40p) for the ground area, which would be Grange End or Bob bank.

Will look for my old Echo I've kept, to see if they mention about tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Don't wanna get into a great debate about this, BUT, as others have said, "They bought their tickets".

I feel that it was all ticket and mine cost 8 shillings (40p) for the ground area, which would be Grange End or Bob bank.

Will look for my old Echo I've kept, to see if they mention about tickets.
    You are probably correct. But could it be that those who had season tickets needed a ticket for the Madrid game to retain their seats and the rest of us plebs paid at the gate to get into the rest of the ground. However I realise that this may be wrong as your recollection seems better than mine especially as you were also in the standing section.