+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who was there for the R.Madrid game?

Banned

Who was there for the R.Madrid game?

I wasn't, 6 years before I was born.
    I've just watched the highlights on ewe tube and was wondering, what was the crowd like, it looked mental, like you couldn't move.

What did you do before and after the match. Drunk? Hungover? Any memories of what looked a great night

Re: Who was there for the R.Madrid game?

I was there but I was only 8 years old so don't remember a lot.

I do remember the goal though as Clarky powered the header right at us sat in the Canton Stand

I got Ronaldo's autograph. Smashing bloke, great day.

I was there standing on the Bob Bank. From memory I think the match was pay at the gate but could be wrong. The atmosphere was electric. Although it has not been mentioned much since, at the time we played the match Real Madrid were going through an indifferent period of form and it seemed to me we could have won by more than the single goal. I can't remember what I did before or afterwards as it was far too long ago and I doubt whether many can.

At the time they were nowhere near being the standard of the Real Madrid team that won the first 5 European Cups but they were the big name in Europe even though it was Ajax who were conquering all at the time. Nevertheless, then it seemed to everyone that it was a major achievement to have beaten a legendary team like Real Madrid even though they knocked us out in the return leg. A great night and a milestone in the history of Cardiff City

I was there, back of the Grange, being carried down on a wave of euphoria, as a young one , all you had to do was lift your legs as the crowd surged down , and you got a free ride down to the bottom , bloody dangerous, but so unforgettable , I feel so sorry for younger people today who cannot feel those atmospheres of endless noise ,huge crowds , it was a real proud peoples game back then.

Gotta go tearing up .

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I was there standing on the Bob Bank. From memory I think the match was pay at the gate but could be wrong. The atmosphere was electric. Although it has not been mentioned much since, at the time we played the match Real Madrid were going through an indifferent period of form and it seemed to me we could have won by more than the single goal. I can't remember what I did before or afterwards as it was far too long ago and I doubt whether many can.
    Don't think you could pay on gate.
    I bought my ticket a few weeks beforehand. The were approx. 45,000 in the ground that day. Fantastic atmosphere, though I think the atmosphere at the Leeds cup game was better, even though the crowd was restricted to half that of RM game.
    I was 16, and stood behind the goal on the Grange end.
    We could hardly move independently.
    When Brian headed that goal, the whole end (prob the whole ground) jumped up in unison.
    It's a wonder the stand didn't collapse. (It was the old wooden one, demolished in the wake of the Bradford fire. )

The real question (no pun intended) is what happened in Madrid, when we lost 2-0.
    If my memory serves correctly, Gary Bell was on the ground, having been hit by something thrown from the stands, when the first goal went in.
    And bizarrely, wasn't allowed treatment, and was still on the ground when the second went in a minute later.
    Last edited by bobh; 30-01-17 at 14:46.

Wasn't pay at the gate but tickets were easily obtainable from various newsagents around the area. Bought mine in one in Rumney. 16 at the time but memories of the game are a bit hazy, we were getting decent crowds at the time in the league, usually 20,000+, 30,000 there for a battering of QPR.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I was there, back of the Grange, being carried down on a wave of euphoria, as a young one , all you had to do was lift your legs as the crowd surged down , and you got a free ride down to the bottom , bloody dangerous, but so unforgettable , I feel so sorry for younger people today who cannot feel those atmospheres of endless noise ,huge crowds , it was a real proud peoples game back then.

Gotta go tearing up .
    Ditto regarding the statement in bold. It was bloody heaving. Magical night though. Must be the most memorable game I have ever seen as far as CCFC is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Don't think you could pay on gate.
    I bought my ticket a few weeks beforehand. The were approx. 45,000 in the ground that day. Fantastic atmosphere, though I think the atmosphere at the Leeds cup game was better, even though the crowd was restricted to half that of RM game.
    I was 16, and stood behind the goal on the Grange end.
    We could hardly move independently.
    When Brian headed that goal, the whole end (prob the whole ground) jumped up in unison.
    It's a wonder the stand didn't collapse. (It was the old wooden one, demolished in the wake of the Bradford fire. )

The real question (no pun intended) is what happened in Madrid, when we lost 2-0.
    If my memory serves correctly, Gary Bell was on the ground, having been hit by something thrown from the stands, when the first goal went in.
    And bizarrely, wasn't allowed treatment, and was still on the ground when the second went in a minute later.
    Definitely pay on the gate. Absolutely manic atmosphere and the only other close to that was the semi final against Hamburg. 2 brilliant nights to remember, only downside was defeat by Hamburg.
    Villa game Easter 1960 came close, Graham Moore goal and promotion.
    Last edited by Cleve van Leef; 30-01-17 at 15:01.

I was there.Back of the bob bank towards the canton end.
    i cant remember where I parked my ford anglia.

I was 15 and had a junior season ticket in the Canton Stand, block C I think. I was 2/3 the way up the stand right in the centre when Brian Clark nodded in that goal. Great night and the official attendance was 47,500 but seemed more.

The following season we had 50,00 v Leeds in th F A Cup, but that wa even more crowded, and my fourth game in January 1969 was in the cup again v Arsenal when there were over 55,000 there...that was really crowded and scary.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wasn't pay at the gate but tickets were easily obtainable from various newsagents around the area. Bought mine in one in Rumney. 16 at the time but memories of the game are a bit hazy, we were getting decent crowds at the time in the league, usually 20,000+, 30,000 there for a battering of QPR.
    Was that the 4-2 QPR game

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I was 15 and had a junior season ticket in the Canton Stand, block C I think. I was 2/3 the way up the stand right in the centre when Brian Clark nodded in that goal. Great night and the official attendance was 47,500 but seemed more.

The following season we had 50,00 v Leeds in th F A Cup, but that wa even more crowded, and my fourth game in January 1969 was in the cup again v Arsenal when there were over 55,000 there...that was really crowded and scary.
    I was on the Bob bank for the Madrid game and in the enclosure for the Arsenal game.The one and only time my missus came to a game with me was the Leeds FA cup game when we lost 2-0 she never asked me to take her again she was terrified for some reason , lucky she never came for the 2-1 win game

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Definitely pay on the gate. Absolutely manic atmosphere and the only other close to that was the semi final against Hamburg. 2 brilliant nights to remember, only downside was defeat by Hamburg.
    Villa game Easter 1960 came close, Graham Moore goal and promotion.

Don't wanna get into a great debate about this, BUT, as others have said, "They bought their tickets".

I feel that it was all ticket and mine cost 8 shillings (40p) for the ground area, which would be Grange End or Bob bank.

Will look for my old Echo I've kept, to see if they mention about tickets.

I was on the Bob Bank near the front having been taken with a friend & his father.
    I was 9 years old & it was my first ever game.
    The atmosphere was totally unbelievable & I have been hooked on the bluebirds ever since.

I was 13, with my Dad halfway up the Canton Stand right behind the goal. The first time I'd ever sat down. Clarky buried it right in front of me. My old man always put me in the boys enclosure Grange End previously. I do remember how disappointed I was when they ran out in that red kit.

I was there for that, too, though I didn't see you

On the Grange, we hid our scarves and chanted "Yooo-Ny-Ted" as we saw the weeds fans come in at the Bob/Canton corner, then as they came near our end, we held up our colours, shouted "City - City" and they all turned and ran. Then we chanted "You'll never take the Grange End!"

Happy days, though that was the start of decades of decline.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Don't wanna get into a great debate about this, BUT, as others have said, "They bought their tickets".

I feel that it was all ticket and mine cost 8 shillings (40p) for the ground area, which would be Grange End or Bob bank.

Will look for my old Echo I've kept, to see if they mention about tickets.
    You are probably correct. But could it be that those who had season tickets needed a ticket for the Madrid game to retain their seats and the rest of us plebs paid at the gate to get into the rest of the ground. However I realise that this may be wrong as your recollection seems better than mine especially as you were also in the standing section.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    At the time they were nowhere near being the standard of the Real Madrid team that won the first 5 European Cups but they were the big name in Europe even though it was Ajax who were conquering all at the time. Nevertheless, then it seemed to everyone that it was a major achievement to have beaten a legendary team like Real Madrid even though they knocked us out in the return leg. A great night and a milestone in the history of Cardiff City
    I agree with what's been said here but would also add - if I recall the period correctly to mind - that City had been playing in Europe regularly as Welsh Cup Winners so a home tie against big name opposition who had lost their gloss (temporarily as it turned out). So the air of anticipation and maybe expectancy didn't come from seeing household names in the white shirts but more from a feeling we were (still as underdogs) in with a shout that night.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/8002524.stm

Listen to the crowd, CARDIFF, CARDIFF, CARDIFF.

Not bluebirds

I was pinned to the back wall of the "enclosure", Grange End. The memory has made me smile many a time when I've felt a bit low over over the years, just as all our recent visits to Wembley will live forever within the hearts of younger Bluebirds. Magical times deserve a special place in the hearts of proper football supporters not the synthetic memories of The Sky (I support whoever is winning everything) Generation, they you see will not appreciate a memory unless someone analyses it for them post match? You gotta smell the pasties, piss and the passion to have a memory, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Ditto regarding the statement in bold. It was bloody heaving. Magical night though. Must be the most memorable game I have ever seen as far as CCFC is concerned.

The official attendance was 47,500, but the late Brian Clark, who netted Cardiff’s winner, always said he felt there were more.

Supporters could climb over the wall at one end of the stadium and Bluebirds full-back Gary Bell said: “We played teams like Arsenal and Leeds United in front of 55,000 spectators at Ninian Park.