+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who was there for the R.Madrid game?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Who was there for the R.Madrid game?

I was 15 and had a junior season ticket in the Canton Stand, block C I think. I was 2/3 the way up the stand right in the centre when Brian Clark nodded in that goal. Great night and the official attendance was 47,500 but seemed more.

The following season we had 50,00 v Leeds in th F A Cup, but that wa even more crowded, and my fourth game in January 1969 was in the cup again v Arsenal when there were over 55,000 there...that was really crowded and scary.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I was 15 and had a junior season ticket in the Canton Stand, block C I think. I was 2/3 the way up the stand right in the centre when Brian Clark nodded in that goal. Great night and the official attendance was 47,500 but seemed more.

The following season we had 50,00 v Leeds in th F A Cup, but that wa even more crowded, and my fourth game in January 1969 was in the cup again v Arsenal when there were over 55,000 there...that was really crowded and scary.
    I was on the Bob bank for the Madrid game and in the enclosure for the Arsenal game.The one and only time my missus came to a game with me was the Leeds FA cup game when we lost 2-0 she never asked me to take her again she was terrified for some reason , lucky she never came for the 2-1 win game

I was on the Bob Bank near the front having been taken with a friend & his father.
    I was 9 years old & it was my first ever game.
    The atmosphere was totally unbelievable & I have been hooked on the bluebirds ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    I was on the Bob Bank near the front having been taken with a friend & his father.
    I was 9 years old & it was my first ever game.
    The atmosphere was totally unbelievable & I have been hooked on the bluebirds ever since.
    You were like a rabbit in headl... nevermind.

I was there halfway up the Bob Bank with a blue & white scarf, me mam knitted me. The crowd surges were pretty dangerous during the match & exiting the ground you were picked up off your feet, especially on the slope down to the back of the Canton Stand.

Great days and if anyone has a ticket stub, get in contact ;)

Oh, and Kingy got booked for a foul. :)

I was 13, with my Dad halfway up the Canton Stand right behind the goal. The first time I'd ever sat down. Clarky buried it right in front of me. My old man always put me in the boys enclosure Grange End previously. I do remember how disappointed I was when they ran out in that red kit.

The official attendance was 47,500, but the late Brian Clark, who netted Cardiff’s winner, always said he felt there were more.

Supporters could climb over the wall at one end of the stadium and Bluebirds full-back Gary Bell said: “We played teams like Arsenal and Leeds United in front of 55,000 spectators at Ninian Park.

I was there for that, too, though I didn't see you

On the Grange, we hid our scarves and chanted "Yooo-Ny-Ted" as we saw the weeds fans come in at the Bob/Canton corner, then as they came near our end, we held up our colours, shouted "City - City" and they all turned and ran. Then we chanted "You'll never take the Grange End!"

Happy days, though that was the start of decades of decline.