+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who was there for the R.Madrid game?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Who was there for the R.Madrid game?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    At the time they were nowhere near being the standard of the Real Madrid team that won the first 5 European Cups but they were the big name in Europe even though it was Ajax who were conquering all at the time. Nevertheless, then it seemed to everyone that it was a major achievement to have beaten a legendary team like Real Madrid even though they knocked us out in the return leg. A great night and a milestone in the history of Cardiff City
    I agree with what's been said here but would also add - if I recall the period correctly to mind - that City had been playing in Europe regularly as Welsh Cup Winners so a home tie against big name opposition who had lost their gloss (temporarily as it turned out). So the air of anticipation and maybe expectancy didn't come from seeing household names in the white shirts but more from a feeling we were (still as underdogs) in with a shout that night.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/8002524.stm

Listen to the crowd, CARDIFF, CARDIFF, CARDIFF.

Not bluebirds

Thanks for that link. Nice to read about Brian Clark. Top bloke. I played squash fairly regularly with him. He was such a modest bloke i could never get him to talk about his time with Cardiff City.