+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warnock - our best manager since relegation from the Premier League?

Warnock - our best manager since relegation from the Premier League?

In terms of points won, then yes.

28 points from 18 games gives an average of 1.56 per game.

Solskjaer won a less than impressive 1.33 per game.

Slade's ppg average was a dreadful 1.21 per game until Trollope joined as coach. Between them they had an average of 1.52 points per game. Slade's overall in charge was 1.44.

Trollope's short stint in charge yielded 0.72 points a game.

Re: Warnock - our best manager since relegation from the Premier League?

If he stays long enough I truly believe he'll do a better job that malky

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

Win the league by 20 points AND WIN the league cup

Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    In terms of points won, then yes.

28 points from 18 games gives an average of 1.56 per game.

Solskjaer won a less than impressive 1.33 per game.

Slade's ppg average was a dreadful 1.21 per game until Trollope joined as coach. Between them they had an average of 1.52 points per game. Slade's overall in charge was 1.44.

Trollope's short stint in charge yielded 0.72 points a game.
    What was saint Malky's average?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

I totally agree with that. Under Malky, with Tan's money, we put together quite an expensive Championship side (by the then standards) but it was only to get to the promise land. The players were not good enough to stay there (including the new signings).
    I had a feeling that we would not sign anyone yesterday but strangely I did not feel downbeat.
    Warnock has much more common sense in his approach and I am sure he is confident of staying up but not going further, therefore, the summer will be his building period.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    1.592, and that includes cup games and his PL stint, so he's the best of the bunch (I'd rather Warnock FWIW).

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post

Win the league by 20 points AND WIN the league cup

Can't wait
    In all seriousness, I believe Warnock would've got us promoted at a canter having spent a fraction of what Malky did, and built a team that would've stayed up.

Malky's achievements must of course be recognised and celebrated but we cannot ignore how much was spent building that team.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    In all seriousness, I believe Warnock would've got us promoted at a canter having spent a fraction of what Malky did, and built a team that would've stayed up.
    So you're saying Warnock would've kept us in the black?

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Did I say that?

Did I say that?

Malky's achievements must of course be recognised and celebrated but we cannot ignore how much was spent building that team.
    Where can you find a good database of what was spent over those periods. Whilst for our standards we spunked a lot of money be interesting to see it in comparison to others?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Where can you find a good database of what was spent over those periods. Whilst for our standards we spunked a lot of money be interesting to see it in comparison to others?
    Dunno - does one exist? Probably difficult to have any degree of certainty with "undisclosed fee" seeming to be more and more popular these days?

It's early and I'm not well

Lets not forget the state our playing squad was in when Jones left. No recognised strikers, players at the end of their contracts etc. The club wanted a quick promotion and happily funded it.

Lets not forget the state our playing squad was in when Jones left. No recognised strikers, players at the end of their contracts etc. The club wanted a quick promotion and happily funded it.
    Totally agree. As I was at pains to point out, I think Malky did a good job.

Imho Malky is a good manager, but Tan's money made him appear to be a great one.

I just think Warnock would've achieved the same or similar results, with less ££.

It would be interesting to check the stats, since Warnock took over, but I believe our current team and manager are good enough to go up. The reason we are where we are is because we started the season with the equivalent of a points deduction.
    Last edited by TH63; 01-02-17 at 09:15.

My nan could have been a better manager than the ones we've had after Malky!

Dunno - does one exist? Probably difficult to have any degree of certainty with "undisclosed fee" seeming to be more and more popular these days?
    Found this site, seems (based on their figures) we had the biggest deficit in the 12/13 season of 11,5M and in the top 3 spenders!

Lots of 'Ifs' and 'Buts' and i know its not so straight forward but gives an idea.

Knowing the result of promotion seems like money well spent. The rest, as they say, is history.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/champio...ern=0&intern=1

I like Warnock and always have tbh. He's done a fantastic job but this is all ifs and maybes the only thing for certain is Malky DID get us promotion, as champions, he also took us to the League cup final.

He had money to spend yes but we weren't the only big spenders that year it's the same every year and some of the big buys like Maynard barely contributed anyway. Malky managed us to promotion, money is needed and was used well to achieve that championship winning season.

What more could MM have done (on the field!!!) than take us up as champions?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    I like Warnock and always have tbh. He's done a fantastic job but this is all ifs and maybes the only thing for certain is Malky DID get us promotion, as champions, he also took us to the League cup final.

He had money to spend yes but we weren't the only big spenders that year it's the same every year and some of the big buys like Maynard barely contributed anyway. Malky managed us to promotion, money is needed and was used well to achieve that championship winning season.

What more could MM have done (on the field!!!) than take us up as champions?
    I agree with this. Maynard was injured, Velikonja was signed by Tan (I believe, Malky didn't want him or play him).

Malky spent relatively little when he first took over. After the unexpected success of his first season the club demanded promotion within a year and backed their manager.

Given some of the amounts spent by Championship teams, the amounts spent were hardly extravagant.

I agree with this. Maynard was injured, Velikonja was signed by Tan (I believe, Malky didn't want him or play him).

Malky spent relatively little when he first took over. After the unexpected success of his first season the club demanded promotion within a year and backed their manager.

Given some of the amounts spent by Championship teams, the amounts spent were hardly extravagant.
    If you exclude Maynard who had bad luck with injures, and EV who it is debated who signed him, he bought Mutch for 2m (sold for 6m and arguably our best player in PL), Kim for 2m, Fraizer for 650k, Noone (1m) and Connolly (500k), the latter two are still here. Tommy Smith and Helguson came in for peanuts as well. He hardly broke the bank, we spent 10m. Villa have spent 12m or more on a single striker three times this season alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If you exclude Maynard who had bad luck with injures, and EV who it is debated who signed him, he bought Mutch for 2m (sold for 6m and arguably our best player in PL), Kim for 2m, Fraizer for 650k, Noone (1m) and Connolly (500k), the latter two are still here. Tommy Smith and Helguson came in for peanuts as well. He hardly broke the bank, we spent 10m. Villa have spent 12m or more on a single striker three times this season alone.
    Mackay's record in the transfer market until we won promotion was fantastic. The club bollocksed things up by demanding promotion a season earlier, in particular leading to panic buying when we went up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Agree with the figures but don't forget, there was a 5 year gap and transfer amounts have gone crazy.
    I also remember when Malky brought Bellamy in from Man City when he was still very much a Premiership player.
    Championship teams were complaining bitterly (and others) that we had somehow fiddled a top player to join us.

Facts don't lie so there is little doubt that Malky's record was excellent.
    The OP question was whether we considered Warnock to be the best manager since Malky.
    I happen to think he is better than Malky.
    By the way I have no issue with Malky and I am glad he has got back into football in some way. I think he paid a price and should return.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Pretty obvious really. Malky was a good manager here too.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    My nan could have been a better manager than the ones we've had after Malky!
    What about the recruitment lad from Azerbaijan??? Wonder what happened to him.....

Racist - reported!