+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Fake news' inquiry launched

Blog Entries

'Fake news' inquiry launched

We knew it was coming..
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...-launch-16-17/

"The Culture, Media and Sport Committee launches an inquiry into 'fake news': the growing phenomenon of widespread dissemination, through social media and the internet, and acceptance as fact of stories of uncertain provenance or accuracy."

You can submit your views through the Fake news inquiry page, it will be interesting to read some of those.

Blue in the Face

Re: 'Fake news' inquiry launched

And here's the think tank behind it (as always)....

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    We knew it was coming..
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...-launch-16-17/

"The Culture, Media and Sport Committee launches an inquiry into 'fake news': the growing phenomenon of widespread dissemination, through social media and the internet, and acceptance as fact of stories of uncertain provenance or accuracy."

You can submit your views through the Fake news inquiry page, it will be interesting to read some of those.
    They are too late, Trump has already had an inquiry, and they quickly identified the perveyors of fake news ... the MSM!

City's attendance figures would be somewhere to start.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    "Alternative facts" oh how we laughed until someone pointed out the following

There is a glass of water on the table with 50% water in it.
    It is half full - FACT
    It is half empty - Alternative FACT

both are right - people tend to pick the one that suits them
    Indeed so.

I interpreted the kind of 'Alternative facts' she had referenced as more akin to:
    The Glass is 3/4 full - FACT
    The Glass is 3/4 empty - FACT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    And here's the think tank behind it (as always)....

"Truth decay" maybe they should brush more? it's obvious they are going somewhere with the "threat to democracy" thing, they will end up blocking them all and we will just be left with the Big Bullshitting Corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    They are too late, Trump has already had an inquiry, and they quickly identified the perveyors of fake news ... the MSM!
    So we are going to end up with 'Trump news' only?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    "Alternative facts" oh how we laughed until someone pointed out the following

There is a glass of water on the table with 50% water in it.
    It is half full - FACT
    It is half empty - Alternative FACT

both are right - people tend to pick the one that suits them
    That's two ways to express the same number. Alternative facts, as Spicer used them, are different numbers to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    City's attendance figures would be somewhere to start.
    Back in the 60's the gates figures were lowered as you probably know

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Indeed so.

I interpreted the kind of 'Alternative facts' she had referenced as more akin to:
    The Glass is 3/4 full - FACT
    The Glass is 3/4 empty - FACT
    This is more like it. What ninianclark is describing is spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    .So we are going to end up with 'Trump news' only?
    Actually it's the truth according to Donald Trump. He worked out a long time ago that the MSM like to twist everything, push vague truths, and regularly omit things. That's why he uses Twitter and Facebook to communicate directly with the electorate.

You can actually trace the origins of this fake news story back to a tweet that was made in early November, after people had started to notice strange things being mentioned in the leaked Podesta emails https://mobile.twitter.com/jmpalmier...64366547533824 In order to suppress discussion surrounding these leaked emails, we had the Russian hacking story, and the attack on the alternative media.

The tables have now been turned with Trump's unexpected election victory, so we will have to wait and see what happens next, but I don't think we have heard the last of this.

Actually it's the truth according to Donald Trump. He worked out a long time ago that the MSM like to twist everything, push vague truths, and regularly omit things. That's why he uses Twitter and Facebook to communicate directly with the electorate.

You can actually trace the origins of this fake news story back to a tweet that was made in early November, after people had started to notice strange things being mentioned in the leaked Podesta emails https://mobile.twitter.com/jmpalmier...64366547533824 In order to suppress discussion surrounding these leaked emails, we had the Russian hacking story, and the attack on the alternative media.

The tables have now been turned with Trump's unexpected election victory, so we will have to wait and see what happens next, but I don't think we have heard the last of this.
    How do you determine that 'trump's tweets are any more or less distorted than MSM news?
    " Alternative facts" from both sides seems more likely.

How do you determine that 'trump's tweets are any more or less distorted than MSM news?
    " Alternative facts" from both sides seems more likely.
    If I want to tell you something important, it will be more accurate if I tell you directly rather than going through a 3rd party, especially one who is opposed to me. Then you can judge my words knowing that they came directly from me, and they haven't been altered in any way.

If I want to tell you something important, it will be more accurate if I tell you directly rather than going through a 3rd party, especially one who is opposed to me. Then you can judge my words knowing that they came directly from me, and they haven't been altered in any way.
    POTUS statements, etc could always be easily found. How many cameras are there at a press conference?

Well, I get that ;)

But what if you are lying, or it became abundantly clear that previously you had lied in a direct communique?
    Now what do I believe?!

Does an untruth/distortion from the horses mouth (in order to convey a particular viewpoint) have any more merit than an untruth/distortion processed through a media outlet (in order to convey a particular viewpoint)?

Perhaps the media outlet has to take a little more care to avoid litigation even.
    The horses mouth might be able to say whatever it wants - on behalf of itself.

I'm sure that the use of Social Media its a fascinating about turn in the world of politics - even if some of the early adopters often sound like petulant brats rather than statespersons - but I also suspect that 'trump' trumping off directly via Twitter is not exactly the the way, the truth and the light.

Multiple flavours of bullsh1t - direct and indirect?
    (yeah i know .. there's a bigger picture behind it all ;) )

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    POTUS statements, etc could always be easily found. How many cameras are there at a press conference?
    Thing is nobody looks into the stuff that they hear on the news!

Well, I get that ;)

But what if you are lying, or it became abundantly clear that previously you had lied in a direct communique?
    Now what do I believe?!

Does an untruth/distortion from the horses mouth (in order to convey a particular viewpoint) have any more merit than an untruth/distortion processed through a media outlet (in order to convey a particular viewpoint)?

Perhaps the media outlet has to take a little more care to avoid litigation even.
    The horses mouth might be able to say whatever it wants - on behalf of itself.

I'm sure that the use of Social Media its a fascinating about turn in the world of politics - even if some of the early adopters often sound like petulant brats rather than statespersons - but I also suspect that 'trump' trumping off directly via Twitter is not exactly the the way, the truth and the light.

Multiple flavours of bullsh1t - direct and indirect?
    (yeah i know .. there's a bigger picture behind it all ;) )
    It just makes your job as the receiver of my message a little easier, knowing that the words have not been distorted in any way. Naturally you will still have some work to do regarding the veracity of my message and what it is I am saying Propaganda is an interesting topic!

Blog Entries

It just makes your job as the receiver of my message a little easier, knowing that the words have not been distorted in any way. Naturally you will still have some work to do regarding the veracity of my message and what it is I am saying Propaganda is an interesting topic!

Just wondering what you make of these two links - I thought Obama's ratings were bad enough, but then I saw Trump's!

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just wondering what you make of these two links - I thought Obama's ratings were bad enough, but then I saw Trump's!

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/
    I think Trump is a bit of a chancer, but he is also a genius! He's got the democrat supporters in perpetual meltdown mode, which is fun to see. The main benefit of Trump being president is it should make our Brexit a little bit easier. It will also be interesting to see whether he sorts out the current corrupt political system or goes along with it. I still think he was the least worst option, even though he will probably come up with some very dodgy policies!

Inquiry needs to go all the way back to WW2

It has taken a while for it to sink in but you actually serious with all this Trump stuff aren't you?

Thing is nobody looks into the stuff that they hear on the news!
    Doesn't this contradict what you said in the Daily Mail/Wikipedia discussion - that people should decide for themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    It has taken a while for it to sink in but you actually serious with all this Trump stuff aren't you?
    This discussion is not about Trump, it is about the media. Trump is merely a player, albeit a central character, so I have no choice other than to include him in the narrative. You seem to be a man of many diversions

You could substitute any number of people or organisations into this equation, but one fact remains - the media are colluding with the globalists, as they attempt to disrupt and destroy anything that gets in their path.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Doesn't this contradict what you said in the Daily Mail/Wikipedia discussion - that people should decide for themselves?
    Not at all. In an ideal world, people would get there information from a variety of sources, and then come to their own conclusions. However the fact is most people get their information from a single source, usually the TV or MSM. And it is obvious what the Daily Mail/Wikipedia thing is all about - the suppression of opposing views.

Not at all. In an ideal world, people would get there information from a variety of sources, and then come to their own conclusions. However the fact is most people get their information from a single source, usually the TV or MSM. And it is obvious what the Daily Mail/Wikipedia thing is all about - the suppression of opposing views.
    If it is about the suppression of opposing views, why don't they ban more 'news' outlets with the same view as the Mail?