+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why have we started getting penalties?

Why have we started getting penalties?

Remember those days about eight or nine years ago when it was the exception rather than the norm for City not be given a penalty in a home game and we used to get a fair few in away matches as well? To use the modern parlance, I think we had a few forwards who were prepared to "go to ground easily", but that didn't wholly explain the huge number we were getting around the 08/09 season.

Gradually, the penalties dried up and it almost seemed at times that referees were paying us back for all the ones we had been given as they ignored what looked like stonewall spot kicks to this unbiased observer!

I've just been looking up how many penalties we were given under Russell Slade's management and all of the four penalties we scored from in 14/15 came in matches where he was in charge, while there was also one that Whitts missed in a 3-2 loss at Norwich. Last season we scored six penalties and, off the top of my head, we didn't miss any, so ten in the eighty one league games Slade took charge of is better than I thought it would be.

This season, I make it that we've been given five penalties, none of which were awarded during Paul Trollope's time in charge, so, under Neil Warnock, we've scored five in eighteen matches. If that ratio was maintained over a forty six match campaign. we'd be talking about something like twelve or thirteen for the season, more than double what we've had in both of our previous seasons.

However, the most interesting thing for me is that four of these penalties have come in our last seven matches, with a surprising three of them coming in away games.

Of course, this surge in penalties coming our way could well be something of a blip and things will return to normal soon, but I've been thinking of possible reasons as to why we are suddenly seeing opponents penalised in their own penalty area against us and have come up with the following;-

1. Teams are willing to run the risk of the ref penalising them for fouls on our most potent attacker from corners, Sean Morrison as they hold, block or obstruct him more - we've been given two penalties recently for fouls on Morrison and should definitely have had one in the dying minutes up at Newcastle as well.
    2. Our players are diving more!
    3. The Warnock effect - officials are intimidated by our manager's reputation and so we get penalties that we wouldn't under other managers.
    4. We have more attacking pace with tricky players like Hoilett and Harris who are encouraged to take people on by this manager.

I'd discount reason 2, but I think there could be something to the other three possible reasons - one thing I do know though is that we seem to be players into the sort of positions where defenders feel most pressurised more now than at any time since our relegation.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 02-02-17 at 16:05.

Re: Why have we started getting penalties?

Stant----the best diver we've ever had

Simple answer. Opposing teams are committing fouls in their penalty area.

Good question Bob

I'd go for 4 as being the main reason. We've finally got a bit of pace up front and NW has clearly told them to express themselves when attacking.

Morrison and others may also be benefitting from the NW effect though, as his reputation as being qualified as a Ref means the Ref can't play the 'you don't understand' card so readily.

Either way, it's good to see and long may it continue. I also can't believe Whitts missed a penalty - sacrilege to even suggest such a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Remember those days about eight or nine years ago when it was the exception rather than the norm for City not be given a penalty in a home game and we used to get a fair few in away matches as well? To use the modern parlance, I think we had a few forwards who were prepared to "go to ground easily", but that didn't wholly explain the huge number we were getting around the 08/09 season.

Gradually, the penalties dried up and it almost seemed at times that referees were paying us back for all the ones we had been given as they ignored what looked like stonewall spot kicks to this unbiased observer!

I've just been looking up how many penalties we were given under Russell Slade's management and all of the four penalties we scored from in 14/15 came in matches where he was in charge, while there was also one that Whitts missed in a 3-2 loss at Norwich. Last season we scored six penalties and, off the top of my head, we didn't miss any, so ten in the eighty one league games Slade took charge of is better than I thought it would be.

This season, I make it that we've been given five penalties, none of which were awarded during Paul Trollope's time in charge, so, under Neil Warnock, we've scored five in eighteen matches. If that ratio was maintained over a forty six match campaign. we'd be talking about something like twelve or thirteen for the season, more than double what we've had in both of our previous seasons.

However, the most interesting thing for me is that four of these penalties have come in our last seven matches, with a surprising three of them coming in away games.

Of course, this surge in penalties coming our way could well be something of a blip and things will return to normal soon, but I've been thinking of possible reasons as to why we are suddenly seeing opponents penalised in their own penalty area against us and have come up with the following;-

1. Teams are willing to run the risk of the ref penalising them for fouls on our most potent attacker from corners, Sean Morrison as they hold, block or obstruct him more - we've been given two penalties recently for fouls on Morrison and should definitely have had one in the dying minutes up at Newcastle as well.
    2. Our players are diving more!
    3. The Warnock effect - officials are intimidated by our manager's reputation and so we get penalties that we wouldn't under other managers.
    4. We have more attacking pace with tricky players like Hoilett and Harris who are encouraged to take people on by this manager.

I'd discount reason 2, but I think there could be something to the other three possible reasons - one thing I do know though is that we seem to be players into the sort of positions where defenders feel most pressurised more now than at any time since our relegation.
    There was a stat around the time when we were getting penalties when we had Bothroyd here, was that penalties were directly related to the amount of times you enter the oppositions box, the more box entries you make the more penalties you get.

Under Slade and Trollope either our main tactics were to load the box for set-piece or to play football in the midfield, with an isolated striker.

What has changed now is that we have Hoillet, Harris, Zohore to play a little more direct and run into the penalty where fouls occur and penalties are given.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Good question Bob

I'd go for 4 as being the main reason. We've finally got a bit of pace up front and NW has clearly told them to express themselves when attacking.

Morrison and others may also be benefitting from the NW effect though, as his reputation as being qualified as a Ref means the Ref can't play the 'you don't understand' card so readily.

Either way, it's good to see and long may it continue. I also can't believe Whitts missed a penalty - sacrilege to even suggest such a thing!
    I've not checked this, but Whitts missed three during 10/11 I seem to remember.

Intentional obviously

He does what he wants!

I remember an interview with Dave Jones the season we had a ridiculous number of pens and he said that they had been making a real focus on getting as many players into the opposition box as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I remember an interview with Dave Jones the season we had a ridiculous number of pens and he said that they had been making a real focus on getting as many players into the opposition box as possible.
    You can imagine that it could be fruitful regards rash challenges, hand-balls deflections!

TBH I don't especially remember that being tactic I would associate with Mr Jones.
    There were a lot of two/three player breaks under DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Totally true, that's one of the reasons I hate the Tw^t.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Totally true, that's one of the reasons I hate the Tw^t.
    What are the other reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    There was a stat around the time when we were getting penalties when we had Bothroyd here, was that penalties were directly related to the amount of times you enter the oppositions box, the more box entries you make the more penalties you get.
    I thought this when we were awarded our first and only Premier League penalty in mid-April.

But I believe we conceded our first and only penalty that season in the same match which seemed to scupper that theory.

We now have wide players (Harris and Hoillett) who get past a player and get into the box. foul = pen.
    Previously Noone would get to the edge of the box and cut inside and try to get a shot in from outside the box. Foul = free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    After Bothroyd, shirley?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    What are the other reasons?
    Tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Tattoos
    BLUETIT failed the SAS entry tests?