+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Good sportsmanship

Good sportsmanship

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...-after-9735653

The one at the other end looked like a pen tbf, definitely contact.

Enjoy

Re: Good sportsmanship

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...-after-9735653

The one at the other end looked like a pen tbf, definitely contact.

Enjoy
    Not sure you'd be saying that if a similar award went against us today - seen the first one twice now and still can't work out why it was given.

Hopefully we don't get the same ref tobw!!

Even more mystifying for me is why he made them retake the first pen, any ideas?

Even more mystifying for me is why he made them retake the first pen, any ideas?
    First of all I was thinking it might have been because the keeper was off the line when the kick was taken, but, looking at it again, it doesn't seem to me as if there was anything going on that would normally lead to a penalty being retaken. Therefore, it seems to me that he ordered the retake because his pride was hurt by somebody so obviously undermining his authority - when the guy knocked the second penalty wide, the ref didn't have anywhere left to go because he could hardly order a retake because there was no attempt to score from it.

I agree the second penalty was one that you can make a case for it being given, so I suspect that one was missed because the taker thought his team owed their opponents one after what happened earlier - it's a bit like that game between Plymouth and Yeovil I think it was few years back when one of them scored while their opponents stopped playing because someone was injured and then the side who had been given the goal let the other team score straight from the kick off.

It was a friendly so obviously nothing on the result.
    Kick in the teeth for officialdom though and an example of player power undermining the beautiful game.
    This kicking the ball out when an opponent is on the floor never used to happen and, although brought in with good intentions, gets abused.

The ref should have passed the whistle to one of the players and went to the bar!

Encroachment?