+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loan Watch

Loan Watch

The world has changed since the last time Loan Watch appeared; Britain is on its way out of the EU, Donald Trump has taken charge at the White House and Etien Velikonja has left Cardiff City. Turbulent times, for sure, but Loan Watch is back to pour oil on troubled waters.

Before we start, I'd just like to thank everyone who has visited the Loan Watch Museum. It was a risky venture and I was told it wouldn't take off but I said 'build it and they will come' and I was proved right. I've even had a sign put over the entrance which says 'build it and they will come' in Latin. Or I thought it did. Apparently, 'semper ubi sub ubi ubique' actually means 'always wear underwear everywhere' which is sage advice but not exactly the message I was trying to convey. There was a mix-up involving the sign-writer and google translate that I won't bother you with but I'm leaving it for now anyway, it looks classy and no one's going to notice unless Ian Hislop turns up. For anyone planning to visit, don't miss out on the waxworks section. People have been very impressed with how lifelike the Kenwyne Jones model is.

If we were to make a waxwork of our French striker Idriss Saadi as a City player he'd be sitting on the bench. When he started his season long loan with Kortrijk, in the Belgian top flight, he was on the bench again and must have had a feeling of deja vu (or whatever that is in French). However, it didn't take him long to establish himself in the starting line-up and his two goals yesterday at Standard Liege take him to twelve for the season, in twenty-four appearances. Another player out on a season long loan, Deji Oshilaja, is also in the goals. He scored for the second week in a row as Gillingham got a creditable draw at Bradford. Not the best season for Deji but it's been a disappointing one for Gillingham which hasn't helped. Hopefully, Deji can take confidence from his goals and finish the season strongly.

Of our new players out on loan, it's been a strong start for both our Championship players. Semi Ajayi built on a strong showing in midweek by keeping Tammy Abraham out of the game at Bristol City yesterday, leading to Abraham being subbed after 58 minutes. Another defeat for Rotherham (for whom Tom Adeyemi is injured) but no blame is being attached to Ajayi who has impressed fans and manager alike. The same can be said for Emyr Huws, who was outstanding in Ipswich's 2-2 draw with Reading.

A clean sheet for Ben Wilson as Rochdale drew 0-0 with Bristol Rovers in League 1. Stuart O'Keefe made a lively appearance as a sub for MK Dons in their 1-1 draw with Bolton, for whom Adam le Fondre also made an appearance from the bench. It was a last minute, surprise move for O'Keefe but he's philosophical about what's happened here and is just happy to be playing again. Another late mover, Matty Kennedy, put in an 8/10 performance for Plymouth on his debut in a 1-0 win at Cambridge; taking on defenders, getting in the box and, apparently, getting involved in some link-up play. Whatever that is.

Of our two players that are currently out on loan at non-league level, Lloyd Humphries game for Weston-Super-Mare against Bath was called off while goalkeeper Luke O'Reilly played for Redditch in a 2-0 home defeat against Chippenham. Chippenham had a player named Alex Ferguson in their team, I'm not sure if that's the Alex Ferguson but I assume so.

A quick check on Loan Watch Hall of Famer, Etien Velikonja, who has now taken his quest for world domination to Turkey. He has joined top flight side, Genclerbirligi, who made the mistake of leaving him on the bench too long yesterday. By the time he came on for his debut in the quarter-finals of the Turkish Cup there was only enough time for him to score one goal and they lost 3-2. That'll learn 'em.

Blue in the Face

Re: Loan Watch

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another former player who has been getting some game time is Mats Daehli at St Pauli.
    Bottom of the table St Pauli got a vital away victory against top of the league EINTRACHT BRAUNSCHWEIG, and Daehli played 60 minutes in a number 10 role in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Didnt pick up any goals or any assists so I've tried to see if I could find out how he's doing there.

I found a couple of the obligatory looking sharp in training kind of articles, and then stumbled across this article...

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/st...1242.bild.html

Doesn't say much of interest about the football, but google translate has turned up a quite remarkable claim on there, I wonder if anyone else can spot it.

Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Another former player who has been getting some game time is Mats Daehli at St Pauli.
    Bottom of the table St Pauli got a vital away victory against top of the league EINTRACHT BRAUNSCHWEIG, and Daehli played 60 minutes in a number 10 role in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Didnt pick up any goals or any assists so I've tried to see if I could find out how he's doing there.

I found a couple of the obligatory looking sharp in training kind of articles, and then stumbled across this article...

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/st...1242.bild.html

Doesn't say much of interest about the football, but google translate has turned up a quite remarkable claim on there, I wonder if anyone else can spot it.
    I can't access that link for now.

I'll certainly be looking at former players in more detail as time goes on, especially the lads we've released this season, but I'd waffled on enough today so let it go for this week. I noticed Burgstaller started in Schalke's draw at Bayern Munich yesterday and Daehli is always a player I keep an eye on too.

Here's Saadi's second goal yesterday, a beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G9o7CnQSrA

And Velikonja's decent strike too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-MYFtZ2iGc

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    The world has changed since the last time Loan Watch appeared; Britain is on its way out of the EU, Donald Trump has taken charge at the White House and Etien Velikonja has left Cardiff City. Turbulent times, for sure, but Loan Watch is back to pour oil on troubled waters.

Before we start, I'd just like to thank everyone who has visited the Loan Watch Museum. It was a risky venture and I was told it wouldn't take off but I said 'build it and they will come' and I was proved right. I've even had a sign put over the entrance which says 'build it and they will come' in Latin. Or I thought it did. Apparently, 'semper ubi sub ubi ubique' actually means 'always wear underwear everywhere' which is sage advice but not exactly the message I was trying to convey. There was a mix-up involving the sign-writer and google translate that I won't bother you with but I'm leaving it for now anyway, it looks classy and no one's going to notice unless Ian Hislop turns up. For anyone planning to visit, don't miss out on the waxworks section. People have been very impressed with how lifelike the Kenwyne Jones model is.

If we were to make a waxwork of our French striker Idriss Saadi as a City player he'd be sitting on the bench. When he started his season long loan with Kortrijk, in the Belgian top flight, he was on the bench again and must have had a feeling of deja vu (or whatever that is in French). However, it didn't take him long to establish himself in the starting line-up and his two goals yesterday at Standard Liege take him to twelve for the season, in twenty-four appearances. Another player out on a season long loan, Deji Oshilaja, is also in the goals. He scored for the second week in a row as Gillingham got a creditable draw at Bradford. Not the best season for Deji but it's been a disappointing one for Gillingham which hasn't helped. Hopefully, Deji can take confidence from his goals and finish the season strongly.

Of our new players out on loan, it's been a strong start for both our Championship players. Semi Ajayi built on a strong showing in midweek by keeping Tammy Abraham out of the game at Bristol City yesterday, leading to Abraham being subbed after 58 minutes. Another defeat for Rotherham (for whom Tom Adeyemi is injured) but no blame is being attached to Ajayi who has impressed fans and manager alike. The same can be said for Emyr Huws, who was outstanding in Ipswich's 2-2 draw with Reading.

A clean sheet for Ben Wilson as Rochdale drew 0-0 with Bristol Rovers in League 1. Stuart O'Keefe made a lively appearance as a sub for MK Dons in their 1-1 draw with Bolton, for whom Adam le Fondre also made an appearance from the bench. It was a last minute, surprise move for O'Keefe but he's philosophical about what's happened here and is just happy to be playing again. Another late mover, Matty Kennedy, put in an 8/10 performance for Plymouth on his debut in a 1-0 win at Cambridge; taking on defenders, getting in the box and, apparently, getting involved in some link-up play. Whatever that is.

Of our two players that are currently out on loan at non-league level, Lloyd Humphries game for Weston-Super-Mare against Bath was called off while goalkeeper Luke O'Reilly played for Redditch in a 2-0 home defeat against Chippenham. Chippenham had a player named Alex Ferguson in their team, I'm not sure if that's the Alex Ferguson but I assume so.

A quick check on Loan Watch Hall of Famer, Etien Velikonja, who has now taken his quest for world domination to Turkey. He has joined top flight side, Genclerbirligi, who made the mistake of leaving him on the bench too long yesterday. By the time he came on for his debut in the quarter-finals of the Turkish Cup there was only enough time for him to score one goal and they lost 3-2. That'll learn 'em.
    Thankyou
    Great read

Cracking read, informative and humorous. Nice one Loramski

That was not only a great read but you managed to squeeze in a Latin joke as well. What more can anyone ask for ? I've got a good Latin joke too but not everybody gets it and finding the right circumstances to add it to a post on a football messageboard is problematical but you managed it with no problem at all. I look forward to further Loan Watch updates.

With such quality of prose can I suggest you change your username to TOBW to match the other informative poster on this board. However, to differentiate between the two of you - you could be the other billy woof !

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    That was not only a great read but you managed to squeeze in a Latin joke as well. What more can anyone ask for ? I've got a good Latin joke too but not everybody gets it and finding the right circumstances to add it to a post on a football messageboard is problematical but you managed it with no problem at all. I look forward to further Loan Watch updates.

With such quality of prose can I suggest you change your username to TOBW to match the other informative poster on this board. However, to differentiate between the two of you - you could be the other billy woof !
    A Latin joke and a french joke, this must be the most high brow thread ever started on here.

The writing is superb too, really enjoyed reading it and that's even without mentioning how informative it is about the loan players.

Thanks Loramski - a great read. Glad to see Loanwatch is alive and well.

Superb! Good to see LW back, and you have to write professionally to be able to string together something like that...

I'll certainly be looking at former players in more detail as time goes on, especially the lads we've released this season, but I'd waffled on enough today so let it go for this week. I noticed Burgstaller started in Schalke's draw at Bayern Munich yesterday and Daehli is always a player I keep an eye on too.

Two of a number of players over the past few seasons never given a chance to prove themselves.

Well, Loan Watch has been ripped off and posted on **** with credit given to Loramski but not the source so, no surprise there. However, ever sensitive to the limitations of some of the posters over there, AA has edited out the excellent intro containing the Latin joke. Obviously too much of a challenge !

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Two of a number of players over the past few seasons never given a chance to prove themselves.
    Saadi is still on the books so may well have a chance next season.

Well done Loramski. Great return for LoanWatch.

Since the demise of Cwmbrans finest, this board has been crying out for some intelligent, informative and humorous writing.

I do believe that the op may well be the saviour of this fine place.

Bravo.

Wales Online are trying to step on your toes!

Although they criminally undermentioned Sir Etien in their offering

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...t-how-12563422

I believe that 4 points from 3 games for Schalke, who are having a poor season, with Burgstaller looking far more dangerous than he ever did here. He even scored the winner in the game they won!

Bring Etien home.

Great to have loan watch back �� Be amazed if Saadi doesn't stay over there , seems to be enjoying himself in full stadium, fans behind the team. Can't see why he would want to come back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Great to have loan watch back �� Be amazed if Saadi doesn't stay over there , seems to be enjoying himself in full stadium, fans behind the team. Can't see why he would want to come back here.
    Thank you all for your kind words.

My thoughts exactly about Saadi. Warnock mentioned that we'd turned down offers for him during the transfer window so it looks like we're planning to use him next season but God knows what he's going to make of it here. Hopefully we'll have moved towards something a bit more striker-friendly by then but it's a thankless job for now.

After the Loan Watch report was ripped off by **** with credit given to Loramski but no mention of the fact that it was published first on CCMB, Keith Morgan (Since62) posted on the **** thread pointing out that it had been lifted from Mike Morris's message board and that chunks of it had been taken out. His post got deleted. Well, well !

After the Loan Watch report was ripped off by **** with credit given to Loramski but no mention of the fact that it was published first on CCMB, Keith Morgan (Since62) posted on the **** thread pointing out that it had been lifted from Mike Morris's message board and that chunks of it had been taken out. His post got deleted. Well, well !
    He's got an odd way of doing things. It doesn't really bother me if he wants to stick it up on there but I don't get why he bothers editing it. It's not like he's pretending he's written it so he may as well just copy and paste the whole thing rather than make more work for himself. Or am I missing something?

I got perma-banned for calling it out too. I'm not exactly a prominent poster over there so it was nothing personal on me...

Embarrassing really - it's just a spam board doing anything to keep activity up.

Anyway - Loramski - a great write up, looking forward to more!