+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Do you watch old games on Youtube?

Do you watch old games on Youtube?

Last night I watched the Wolves v Blackburn 1960 Cup Final on Youtube and it was like watching a load of old men kicking a medicine ball around in clown shoes. I watch old games without the commentary and then trying to recognise the players. Peter Dobing stood out. He was one of the few players who showed any skill. Ally MacLeod looked good. But I didn't remember him at all as a player. The standard of football compared to nowadays was terrible. Yet I enjoy watching these old games more than modern games. Watching a Premiership game on TV is like watching kids play Fifa 16. It is too fast and it doesn't seem natural.

I regularly chat to a couple of former Premiership players and they know nothing about players from the 1950s, 1960s and even the 1970s. They are too diplomatic to say it but I think they regard the game then as a load of amateurish bollocks. I don't think any managers or players today are interested in football in the old days. On this site there would be loads of posters, particularly those like me who enjoy Bob's quiz, who would know something about players like Frank Large, Rodney Fern and Graham Cross – just to take a few names at random – but there would not be one manager or player in the whole league who had ever heard of them. The old game and its players are just not relevant or interesting to them. Out of all the British players from the 1950s and 1960s I would guess that only George Best, Jimmy Greaves, Bobbly Moore, John Charles and Bobby Charlton would walk into a Premiership team. Can you think of any others?

Re: Do you watch old games on Youtube?

No.

Just watched Pilkington's winner at Ashton Gate a few more times 😄

I'm not sure there was much of an appreciation of players from, say, the 20s and 30s by those playing in the 60s and 70s was there? Seems to me that's always been the case and in thirty years time, the superstars of today will be dismissed in much the same way by those that follow them.

Regarding who would get into Premier League teams from the 60s (the 50s are before my time really), I'd say that Gordon Banks and Ray Wilson definitely would from England's World Cup winning team and I reckon Alan Ball and Martin Peters probably would. Dennis Law was good enough, Mike England probably was, as was Ron Davies - Charlie Cooke, Jimmy Johnstone, Eddie Gray, Johnny Giles, Colin Bell and Kenny Dalglish (certainly good enough for a Premier League where really good defenders are like gold dust), are others who would be very good players whatever era they played in, while Pat Jennings would be the best British keeper by a mile if he were playing today.

Not going to run through names as it's an absolutely STUPID QUESTION.

When you take into consideration the conditions in times gone by, EVERY player could survive in today's game.

1) The state of the pitches in past times, yet you still witnessed great ball control.

2) The tackles that were allowed, yet you still witnessed great ball control

3) Leather footballs which got heavier as the game went on in wet conditions, yet you still witnessed great ball control. (No changing of the ball either, unless the f ucker burst)

4) None of this pampered travelling shit, players travelled on the day of the game, on Football Specials, with the fans.

Lots of other reasons why the game was better in times past, the main one for me being, people/fans, used to go to a game to not only support their home team, BUT to see THE STARS of the opposition, as this was the only way to see them play, as there was none of this television shit every f ucking day.

Give me 50/60's football over today's, any day of the week.

50 years ago..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYTLfukNUg

Boots were heavy.
    The ball was heavy.
    Pitches were heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    50 years ago..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYTLfukNUg

Boots were heavy.
    The ball was heavy.
    Pitches were heavy.

No wonder British Rail were losing money, what with everyone pinching their LOO ROLLS

I usually wait for someone to find it and upload to CCMB.

On a future state note perhaps we could have a upload of favourite games as per the Friday night music fest

Dave mackay won the double with spurs in 61 then player managed derby to the div1 championship in 76. Hes a definite.
    Jimmy McIlroy
    Danny Blanchflower
    Johnny Haynes
    Ron springett
    Billy wright didnt play over 100 caps for nothing
    But no one come near to Wales big John. He is simply unique and the greatest...... Imo

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

When you take into consideration the conditions in times gone by, EVERY player could survive in today's game.

1) The state of the pitches in past times, yet you still witnessed great ball control.

3) Leather footballs which got heavier as the game went on in wet conditions, yet you still witnessed great ball control. (No changing of the ball either, unless the f ucker burst)

4) None of this pampered travelling shit, players travelled on the day of the game, on Football Specials, with the fans.

Lots of other reasons why the game was better in times past, the main one for me being, people/fans, used to go to a game to not only support their home team, BUT to see THE STARS of the opposition, as this was the only way to see them play, as there was none of this television shit every f ucking day.

Nice rant grandad.

You forget to mention about those cheating foreign poofs rolling around like they've been shot.

Personally I'd take old football any day as well, for one simple reason.

No Garth Crooks.

I think some of you are looking at the past through rose coloured glasses. Take Lee Trundle as an example. Despite all the Trundle haters on here I used to like watching him. Lee Trundle was, and is, a terrific player – at his level. But, as people pointed out on here when the Swans were in a league below us, his tricks would not have worked in a higher league. He was far too slow. Most of those players mentioned above were great at their level. But the speed, fitness and skill required today almost makes it a different game from how it was in the 1950s and 1960s. It is a bit like someone saying Mayweather is the best fighter in the world. But he wouldn't last long against a top heavyweight.

The 1960 Cup Final was played on a sunny day on a perfect pitch. The ball weighed the same then as it does today. The only reason why so many players showed such poor ball control is that they were not as skillful as they are today.

I enjoyed watching many of the players mentioned as being good enough for the Premiership. But judging from my memories of them and judging from what I can see on Youtube they would have no chance. Even the England 1966 team would not be good enough to hold a place in the Premiership.

Dave Mackay's legs had gone by the mid 1960s but he was able to play on another five years or so only because of his reading of the game and lack of speed by the opposing forwards at the time. The idea of him trying to cope with Vardy and Walcott is laughable.

When I think of Johnny Haynes playing today I'm reminded of that funny McDonald's advert where a tackle sends Jimmy Hill flying into the terrace. Haynes would be far too slow and he wouldn't be allowed the time on the ball he had in the 50s and 60s.

Of course, Dalglish would be good enough, but he is really a modern era player. I'm thinking of players who started in the 1950s. I don't think Ron Davies would have been good enough. When you compare him to a similar player like Andy Carroll you can see the difference in skill required today.

Bob makes a good point us dismissing the superstars of yesteryear. One Hull fan I chat to always says the greatest player he saw was Raich Carter. But most people today would laugh at the idea of Carter being in the same class as Ronaldo or Messi.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post

The 1960 Cup Final was played on a sunny day on a perfect pitch. The ball weighed the same then as it does today. The only reason why so many players showed such poor ball control is that they were not as skillful as they are today.

I enjoyed watching many of the players mentioned as being good enough for the Premiership. But judging from my memories of them and judging from what I can see on Youtube they would have no chance. Even the England 1966 team would not be good enough to hold a place in the Premiership.
    Absolutely!
    England effectively cheated their way to the final, arranging all their games at Wembley, etc
    And the two extra time goals in the final, were dodgy, to say the least.
    We'll never know for sure if the 3rd really crossed the line, but the fourth definitely was out of order. The famous commentary gives it away...
    "some people are on the pitch..."
    So the ref should stop the game there.

It is like comparing chalk and cheese but one could argue modern day players would be able to handle conditions or the old ball or the old boots or the combative naturemof the old game.?

Banned

I always watch old stuff on ewe tube.
    Wrestling from the late 80s early 90s.
    Theres a good channel on ewe tube called "cardiff city classics", the poster might even be on here, but there's some good uns on there.
    Cardiff 4-1 Swansea in the autoglass trophy thing.
    York 3- 3 cardiff
    Cardiff 2-1 Shrewsbury 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Absolutely!
    England effectively cheated their way to the final, arranging all their games at Wembley, etc
    And the two extra time goals in the final, were dodgy, to say the least.
    We'll never know for sure if the 3rd really crossed the line, but the fourth definitely was out of order. The famous commentary gives it away...
    "some people are on the pitch..."
    So the ref should stop the game there.

So much bitterness in so few words

What a tool

Just a little bit of a distorted view. As someone else has answered it's impossible to compare.

The game is completely different today. The fitness levels and tactical knowhow are off the scale.

The players are finely tuned machines today and though they're certainly not as tough they are far more technically effecient in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Just a little bit of a distorted view. As someone else has answered it's impossible to compare.

The game is completely different today. The fitness levels and tactical knowhow are off the scale.

The players are finely tuned machines today and though they're certainly not as tough they are far more technically effecient in my opinion
    Fitness levels are totally different now, late 70's and early 80's most of the city squad were getting pissed in the Maltings on a Thursday night

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Fitness levels are totally different now, late 70's and early 80's most of the city squad were getting pissed in the Maltings on a Thursday night
    Building up team spirit, whisky,rum,vodka etc

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I usually wait for someone to find it and upload to CCMB.

On a future state note perhaps we could have a upload of favourite games as per the Friday night music fest
    Here's one (see link) ...and in answer to the title of the OP, I dont normally watch old footage unless someone posts a link, but I happened to watch this City vs Liverpool premiership game at the CCS last night.
    As I'm sure most know, YouTube offers clips you might want to see based on past viewings (feck knows why this was offered go me as I hate the scouse and we lost 3-6!)

Anyway, it highlighted for me what an absolute shambles we were in defence, in particular Juan Cala. Even though he did have Suarez to contend with, Cala had a shocker.

Watching it "Live" from the Ninian stand it looked like Cala was fouled by Suarez (the hat trick goal) but as the clip shows, he was simply outwitted and out muscled.

https://youtu.be/6gOx9WDtQkE

Recalling his sending off against Sunderland, my box must be going I reckon as for some reason, at the time I didn't think he was that bad for us

Always bugs me when people compare the generations. Just as football has progressed, then so would they.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the best of the players back then, would've easily been the best of the players today.

I'd heard of Greaves as a kid, albeit only from Saint and Greavsie and my knowledge from the annuals. But seeing him there reminded me of Ronaldo today, the way he accelerated, span past people and finished.

And that young Welsh lad, Bobb y Charlton, reminded me of Gareth Bale.

If you're just talking about taking the players as they were: lifestyle, fitness etc and just dropping them into a team in 2017, I don't think any of them -even the very best- could make it at the highest level. George Best would be considered on the same level as an unfit, weaker version of Jack Grealish. Maybe not even that good. Best, Cruyff, Moore etc were little blokes with no power that could maybe give you 60 minutes at Championship level and they would most likely have limited impact. They'd be getting out ran, out muscled and just couldn't stand the pace or the physicality. That's my opinion.

I remember praying that someone would not lump it in the air so I had to head it.
    Although it would normally take a superhuman effort to get the ball up in the air.

I agree that players are fitter now and there are more tools to help coaches with tactics, but I don't see how any of this makes today's players better technically than those of previous generations, If the top players from the fifties onwards were subject to the same fitness and tactical conditioning and coaching that the current player gets, then I don't understand why anyone would say that they would not be as good as the modern player - in many cases they would be a lot better than your average Premier League performer.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree that players are fitter now and there are more tools to help coaches with tactics, but I don't see how any of this makes today's players better technically than those of previous generations, If the top players from the fifties onwards were subject to the same fitness and tactical conditioning and coaching that the current player gets, then I don't understand why anyone would say that they would not be as good as the modern player - in many cases they would be a lot better than your average Premier League performer.
    It was largely a response to Tony's outburst basically undermining the footballers of today's generation.

Of course there is no reason why players from the 50's couldn't be as good as players today if they were subject to the same conditions as players today but when you comment on individuals i have to wonder whether someone like George Best would survive in today's environment despite his obvious talent.

It's impossible to say but he could very well have got lost in the system in a time where it's a lot harder to play at the top level whilst abusing your body.

I hate it when i hear people (largely on talksport etc) who say stuff like Raheem Sterling, Rooney, Harry Kane or whoever is a waste of space and if they had been given that talent they would sweat blood for England blah blah blah etc.

In my experience this is absolute bollocks as kids are now training 3 or 4 times a week surviving cull after cull to get to earn the privilege to play professional football and i doubt their knockers would be willing to show 20% of the commitment and sacrifice these kids have to get to the top.

Yes I do, and here`s my Favourite my third visit to the Wretch that season (gaining our 1st win of the 3 cup ties) and a wonder goal via the Welsh FA experimental "Your not offside if the ball is passed from your own half" Rule trialled for UEFA that season in Welsh Pyramid and Cups https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzQS3zu8byM