+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wales v England in the EGG

Re: Wales v England in the EGG

It shows how much I've fallen out of love with rugby that I've only watched about twenty minutes of our two games so far. As it turned out, I saw the last ten minutes of the first half of yesterday's game and, despite us scoring a well worked try, I couldn't help thinking that I'd watched the "guts" of the match - the time when it probably got away from us.
    We scored one try, but blew two or three other very promising positions because of the usual failure to deliver in really important attacking scrums and line outs. Also, despite all of the talk about playing a more enterprising game, all of the evidence that, even in the man's absence, "Warrenball" is still alive and well was there in abundance when we tried to spread the ball - what has happened to the flair and creativity which sustained Welsh International rugby through the first one hundred and twenty odd years of it's existence?
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 12-02-17 at 07:14.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It shows how much I've fallen out of love with rugby that I've only watched about twenty minutes of our two games so far. As it turned out, I saw the last ten minutes of the first half of yesterday's game and, despite us scoring a well worked try, I couldn't help thinking that I'd watched the "guts" of the match - the time when it probably got away from us.
    We scored one try, but blew two or three other very promising positions because of the usual failure to deliver in really important attacking scrums and line outs. Also, despite all of the talk about playing a more enterprising game, all of the evidence that, even in the man's absence, "Warrenball" is still alive and well was there in abundance when we tried to spread the ball - what has happened to the flair and creativity which sustained Welsh International rugby through the first one hundred and twenty odd years of it's existence?
    Unfortunately this is also the way that club rugby is played week in and week out.
    Flare players like Jonathan Davies and Phil Bennet do not seem to come through any more.
    It is a much more forward dominated game in an effort to play catch up with the Southern Hemisphere sides.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Unfortunately this is also the way that club rugby is played week in and week out.
    Flare players like Jonathan Davies and Phil Bennet do not seem to come through any more.
    It is a much more forward dominated game in an effort to play catch up with the Southern Hemisphere sides.
    I watched my local team ( my 9yr old daughter plays for them and was asked to be " guard of honour " and have a small match at 1/2 time )

I couldnt make out the forwards and the backs, they all looked the same and certainly all played the same game

after the 1/2 time " match " we watched the first 10 mins of the 2nd 1/2 and then slipped away to the carpark and then home

Quote Originally Posted by old blue View Post
    Thing is people like you will always look for a scapegoat, ie in this case Cuthbert, it happens in football where one player always seems to be at fault. We lacked today a footballing 12, where England didn't, the ball went to Jonathon Davies and he put a woeful kick in, if it had gone to touch we would have been organised, but lets blame Cuthbert?
    If Wales were coached to kick for touch in that situation then there wouldn't have been a left footer standing there. Not Davies fault. Not Cuthberts fault either. Reality is, Biggar had an amazing game, but the good things he does have almost nothing to do with being a fly half, just to clarify - not Biggar's fault either. We scored 16 points, when you score 16 points you lose, we were all over them the first 15 minutes of the second half and tied it 3-3 - the game wasn't lost there but it could have been won. Idiots on twitter are creaming their pants about Cuthbert's crap yardage of 3 yards on 7 carries but I am pretty sure he took 3 kick offs and went backwards which is hardly his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think the reality is that teams were a pile of shite defensively back then and now almost every team is well drilled from that perspective.

As for Warrenball - Exactly, as far as I could see that try was the one piece of ingenuity from a team perspective (and that needed to be from a set piece - i feel we aren't well drilled enough to start moves from open play) - I think the massive hole was there because England were shocked we actually tried something, a few jinking solo runs aside we have no attacking ambition. The strange thing is that England have looked flat in these two games too, nothing like the team who have won all these games in a row.
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 12-02-17 at 10:46.

One more point that I forgot, Jiffy seemed certain England were offside when AWJ dropped the ball on their try-line. I haven't seen it again but I both don't remember any decisions like that going against England and also I wish Rhys Webb asked him to look at that one again rather than the non-try just before.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Ok perryjason, you don't like rugby. We get it
    Haha, so painful reading his posts.

I know England gave up 5 points but they actually missed their kicks if I remember rightly but we didn't even go for goal with ours.

Indeed and Halfpenny would have nailed them. Whats done is done but its clear to me that England are not as good as they think and we are not as bad as many suggest. We should have beaten them yesterday.

I'm not a huge rugby fan but i enjoyed the game. My lad used to play for the district rugby and the coach would often look at the size of the parents and decide whether they had a chance!

I wonder if players like Jonathan Davies would have a chance in today's climate.

Fortunately, football has changed possibly since the success of Barcelona and Spain and technical ability is favoured over size in the majority of academy football systems

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Indeed and Halfpenny would have nailed them. Whats done is done but its clear to me that England are not as good as they think and we are not as bad as many suggest. We should have beaten them yesterday.
    One of Eddie Jones' first challenges in charge of England was when we played for about 10 minutes at Twickenham, completely giving up the entire first half, and still almost came away with victory. I think that was such a psychological turning point that if we had won that game there was no chance we would have lost yesterday.

The tournament is probably gone from us now so perfect chance to continue our transition knowing that we aren't so far away from the best in this hemisphere.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    One of Eddie Jones' first challenges in charge of England was when we played for about 10 minutes at Twickenham, completely giving up the entire first half, and still almost came away with victory. I think that was such a psychological turning point that if we had won that game there was no chance we would have lost yesterday.

The tournament is probably gone from us now so perfect chance to continue our transition knowing that we aren't so far away from the best in this hemisphere.
    Surge we really need to win a couple more games in this 6 Nations to ensure we are second seeds for the World Cup draw. There is still the danger we could lose our last three games and fall to 9th in the rankings with France,Scotland,Argentina and South Africa overtaking us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Haha, so painful reading his posts.
    Classic attention seeker "Oh look at me I'm a football man who doesn't have any interest in rugby". Why doesn't he get some sandwich boards stating that and walk up and down Queen St wearing them. People could then point and wonder and be impressed. He'd love it.