+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: squeaky floorboards.

squeaky floorboards.

I live in a house that's roughly 30 years old. The upstairs floorboards & the stairs squeak like hell in all the high traffic areas.

Looking under the bath the boards appear to have been nailed down & they're made of chipboard.

Anyone know of any firms that would make the boards sound again AND put the carpets back down tidy?

Any ideas of cost too?

Re: squeaky floorboards.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    I live in a house that's roughly 30 years old. The upstairs floorboards & the stairs squeak like hell in all the high traffic areas.

Looking under the bath the boards appear to have been nailed down & they're made of chipboard.

Anyone know of any firms that would make the boards sound again AND put the carpets back down tidy?

Any ideas of cost too?
    Squeaky, you mean?

Banned

If the stairs are creaking it's the triangular blocks glued under the stairs need sorting.

The problem is they are nailed down. Put in screws directly adjacent to the nails (so that you don't accidentally screw into pipes or cables) and that should cure the squeaking. From the lines of nails you should be able to determine which way the joists are lying which will help to ensure you screw into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    The problem is they are nailed down. Put in screws directly adjacent to the nails (so that you don't accidentally screw into pipes or cables) and that should cure the squeaking. From the lines of nails you should be able to determine which way the joists are lying which will help to ensure you screw into them.
    This, according to the Google is solid advice. I just don't think I'd get the carpets down tidy again.

I'd put up with it til we do the carpets again if it wasn't for the fact we're selling so I don't want it to come up in the survey & neither do I want to **** up the carpets.

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    This, according to the Google is solid advice. I just don't think I'd get the carpets down tidy again.

I'd put up with it til we do the carpets again if it wasn't for the fact we're selling so I don't want it to come up in the survey & neither do I want to **** up the carpets.
    Get a carpet fitter to refit. Shouldn't cost to much really.

Taking the carpets up, putting loads of screws in? Bugger that for a game of soldiers! You have to think outside the box.
    I had a problem with a car I used to have that started making alarming noises everytime I drove over 30 mph. I simply turned the radio up louder. Problem solved. That could work for you. Or perhaps you could try fitting the family with roller skates.

Lose weight lardy

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Lose weight lardy
    I'm 10.5 stone soaking wet. Anyway, that richey guy might have the right idea, I need a carpet guy, not a wood guy.

Or lots of mood music when the surveyor comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Lose weight lardy