+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Loan Watch (12/2)

Loan Watch (12/2)

Another instalment of Loan Watch, we're up to series 3, episode 2 now. Suck on that, Casualty. New readers might be wondering 'what have I missed?' but 'what haven't I missed?' would be a better question. It's all been happening here; laughter, tears, hopes and fears - and that was just Danny Johnson's loan spell at Stevenage. No, it's gone now, you'll just have to pick it up as you go along or wait until the box set comes out.

Matty Kennedy's loan spell at Plymouth can hardly have started better for him. His home debut yesterday, in the Devon derby against Exeter, left everyone impressed. Not just on the ball but off it too as he worked hard tracking back and covering his full back. He scored the first and, especially for a player with only a couple of career goals to his name, it was an excellent one. A great piece of movement from in off the flank brought him into the space between the centre-backs and when the pass arrived he finished it accurately. He then popped up in a deeper central area and while the defenders worried that he'd run at them, Ryan Taylor drifted into space and was found perfectly by Kennedy to score the second in a 3-0 win.

Interesting that Kennedy is proving effective coming inside. It's something he's looked comfortable with at DVP level (he even started one game this season in an advanced central midfield role) and gives the impression that there's a lot more to his game than just being an out-and-out winger. Of course, there's a huge difference between that standard, or even League 2, and the Championship but he can only deal with what's in front of him and he's doing that very well for now. Worth bearing in mind that he faded here after a strong start and then failed to push on after a strong start on loan at Port Vale last season but let's hope he has put that behind him and is now going to fulfil his undoubted potential.

Another successful day for Emyr Huws as he scored the only goal in Ipswich's 1-0 win at Villa. Hard to make sense of what's going on here but he's another player who is impressing his new fanbase. An excellent performance was capped by the winner near the end, finishing after a late run into the box from midfield (I won't do the 'whatever that is' gag again). Manager Mick McCarthy said 'we have missed that from the centre of the park, a player driving forward and scoring goals'. I'm missing something here too. Whatever the problem has been with Emyr, as with Kennedy, we've obviously got a talented player on our hands.

Another good performance from Semi Ajayi for Rotherham as they drew 1-1 with Blackburn. A couple of mistakes crept into his game yesterday (he's prone to this) but they didn't prove costly and, overall, he continues to impress in a struggling side. Tom Adeyemi started too and did well before being subbed.

A bit of a mixed bag elsewhere. Adam le Fondre started in Bolton's 4-1 win over Walsall (alongside old boy Andrew Taylor) but didn't get among the goals. Deji Oshilaja played at left-back in Gillingham's 1-1 draw with Port Vale and Ben Wilson kept another clean sheet for Rochdale as they drew at Fleetwood. Stuart O'Keefe played two games for MK Dons this week and while they won the first (with an injury time winner from Nicky Maynard) they lost to a late Oxford goal yesterday. Idriss Saadi played the 90 minutes as Kortrijk lost 2-0 at home.

Youngster Lloyd Humphries played in Weston-Super-Mare's 2-0 defeat at Poole, alongside former players Chris Barker, Rollin Menayese and Gethyn Hill. Before yesterday, if anyone had asked me who Melanius Mullarkey is then I would've guessed he's an undertaker from a Charles Dickens novel but I now know he's the right back at Hayes and Yeading. They won 2-1 against Redditch, for whom our young keeper Luke O'Reilly was on the bench.

No goal for Etien this week but some other former players did score including Ross McCormack, Jon Parkin, Danny Johnson, Eikrem and Berget as well as Guido Burgstaller for Schalke. A mention too for Simon Moore who kept a clean sheet as Sheffield United moved five points clear in League 1.

Re: Loan Watch (12/2)

Great work again

Top stuff

Another great write up! Wonder how long until it gets re-posted elsewhere.

Not trying to move in on your pitch or anything, but I thought I'd check the Colchester V Barnet game this weekend to see if Tommy O'Sullivan or David Tutonda got any game time and was disappointed to see that neither of them even made it into the respective squads - good to see Luke Coulson starting for Barnet mind and I can't say I'm surprised to learn that he's doing so well as a winger.

Also. I see that Tom James had another Saturday as an unused sub for Yeovil.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Not trying to move in on your pitch or anything, but I thought I'd check the Colchester V Barnet game this weekend to see if Tommy O'Sullivan or David Tutonda got any game time and was disappointed to see that neither of them even made it into the respective squads - good to see Luke Coulson starting for Barnet mind and I can't say I'm surprised to learn that he's doing so well as a winger.

Also. I see that Tom James had another Saturday as an unused sub for Yeovil.
    Thanks all.

O'Sullivan picked up a knee injury in the week playing u-23s and Tutonda's playing age group stuff too. Tom James did get on in the week for Yeovil but there's not much going on with those guys at the moment, even Jazzi Barnum-Bobb has dropped out of the Newport squad for now. Ashley Baker is playing at right back for the table topping Sheffield Wednesday under-23s, he was unlucky here I think.

Excellent.

Very good read, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Thanks all.

O'Sullivan picked up a knee injury in the week playing u-23s and Tutonda's playing age group stuff too. Tom James did get on in the week for Yeovil but there's not much going on with those guys at the moment, even Jazzi Barnum-Bobb has dropped out of the Newport squad for now. Ashley Baker is playing at right back for the table topping Sheffield Wednesday under-23s, he was unlucky here I think.
    Why was he playing u23 in the first place?

Great read by the way, the undertaker part had me laugh out loud

Thanks all.

Thanks, did you see what Gringo had to say about Jarrad Welch in the Bellamy thread?

great report as ever fella !

This, Bob's youth report and Cyncoed Slumdog's TL;DR of Bob's youth report have all been good reads today

Thanks all.

I blame the message board.
    All those f-off Baker quotes must have got picked up on by the coaching team

Jarrad Welch & Isaac Kelly both on loan from City to Cinderford both started as Cinderford recorded their first away win of the season. Cameron Clark kept his first clean sheet and James Bloom & Shane Parry also featured to complete the compliment of ex-City youth players in the line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Jarrad Welch & Isaac Kelly both on loan from City to Cinderford both started as Cinderford recorded their first away win of the season. Cameron Clark kept his first clean sheet and James Bloom & Shane Parry also featured to complete the compliment of ex-City youth players in the line-up.
    Thank you for that. Still 12 points adrift at the bottom I see. I wonder at what point the standard becomes so poor that youngsters would get more benefit from playing for our Academy than going out on loan. Do you feel it's good experience for them there?

This is the equivalent level of Belgium premier league, if it doesn't feature Etien, Loramski isnt going there.(or the world famous Kortrijk)

I see burgstaller has 2 from 4 at Schalke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    This is the equivalent level of Belgium premier league, if it doesn't feature Etien, Loramski isnt going there.(or the world famous Kortrijk)
    What Velikonja did in Belgium was front page news, never mind back page, it was my duty to cover it in detail. I'm ok with any level, be it non-league, parks or 5-a-side. I even covered Scottish football when Kiss and Healey were up there.

What Velikonja did in Belgium was front page news, never mind back page, it was my duty to cover it in detail. I'm ok with any level, be it non-league, parks or 5-a-side. I even covered Scottish football when Kiss and Healey were up there.

No free car for you after that little retort.

Thank you for that. Still 12 points adrift at the bottom I see. I wonder at what point the standard becomes so poor that youngsters would get more benefit from playing for our Academy than going out on loan. Do you feel it's good experience for them there?
    It's difficult, they started the season with no money, no players and no manager, at the highest level they've ever played at. The first 4 months were tough but Paul Micheal moved from Risca in November and the improvement is organisation and style is very noticeable. Selling Gethyn Hill to Weston left them without a goalscorer. They'll probably still be relegated but at least with the current troops they'll go down fighting.

Is it a good experience, difficult to judge. The pitches are probably the biggest issue, not being able to run with or pass the ball, it's a leveller. The teams at that level are made up of ex-pro's, the local lads who have found their level and lots of ex-academy players. Darren Purse, James Harper & Barry Hayles have all appeared for the opposition in recent games.

Some ex-City have looked class, like Gethyn Hill & Cameron Clarke, some have been poor, disinterested or simply not good enough like Curtis Watkins, Jaye Bowen and Elvis Menayese.

It's difficult, they started the season with no money, no players and no manager, at the highest level they've ever played at. The first 4 months were tough but Paul Micheal moved from Risca in November and the improvement is organisation and style is very noticeable. Selling Gethyn Hill to Weston left them without a goalscorer. They'll probably still be relegated but at least with the current troops they'll go down fighting.

Is it a good experience, difficult to judge. The pitches are probably the biggest issue, not being able to run with or pass the ball, it's a leveller. The teams at that level are made up of ex-pro's, the local lads who have found their level and lots of ex-academy players. Darren Purse, James Harper & Barry Hayles have all appeared for the opposition in recent games.

Some ex-City have looked class, like Gethyn Hill & Cameron Clarke, some have been poor, disinterested or simply not good enough like Curtis Watkins, Jaye Bowen and Elvis Menayese.
    Thanks, that's very interesting. I've no idea but a loan there seems like a boot camp type option to me, for youngsters who have become complacent or are felt to be a bit lightweight. Darren Purse coming through the back of you in a mudbath on a rainy day in Cinderford would take anyone out of their comfort zone.