+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: David Silva

David Silva

Does he ever give the ball away?

He's an absolute magician. I'd love to see a player of his ilk at our club one day. (Wishful thinking)

Re: David Silva

Peter Whittingham. Not sure I've ever seen him give the ball away either.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Does he ever give the ball away?

He's an absolute magician. I'd love to see a player of his ilk at our club one day. (Wishful thinking)
    If you ever get the chance to watch him and Iniesta live, you have to. Their movement, touch and passing is incredible. Lucky enough to watch Spain v Croatia in the summer, the technical ability of those two sides was amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If you ever get the chance to watch him and Iniesta live, you have to. Their movement, touch and passing is incredible. Lucky enough to watch Spain v Croatia in the summer, the technical ability of those two sides was amazing!
    I went to watch Barca v Sevilla last year and other than the obvious amazement watching Messi at his best, I was in awe at Iniesta, just looked on another level to anyone I've seen before, made it look so easy just floating around the pitch!

Iniesta is probably my favourite player (alongside Messi) at the moment. I've been lucky enough to see him play 3 or 4 times live and you're right he's a joy to watch.

It's interesting that Silva has gone from playing in a 10 role to playing in the Iniesta role tucked in on the left.

It will be a sad day when Iniesta retires as in my opinion there is only one Iniesta

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    I went to watch Barca v Sevilla last year and other than the obvious amazement watching Messi at his best, I was in awe at Iniesta, just looked on another level to anyone I've seen before, made it look so easy just floating around the pitch!
    Messi's second half performance vs Sevilla away this season was one of the best performances i have ever seen!

https://youtu.be/H3Izw2kEgEs

Barca got battered first half but he turned the game around pretty much on his own

We had McPhail who never gave the ball away but never left the centre circle.
    Wes Hoolahan would've been a great signing for us years back before Norwich got in there. He always seemed like that type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    We had McPhail who never gave the ball away but never left the centre circle.
    Wes Hoolahan would've been a great signing for us years back before Norwich got in there. He always seemed like that type of player.
    He was so good he didn't ever need to leave the centre circle. Been watching loads of old YouTube vids of CCFC highlights recently from the Dave Jones days, forget just how good Macca was, completely controlled the game and made it look effortless. Didn't realise how good we had it in that era and that team.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    He was so good he didn't ever need to leave the centre circle. Been watching loads of old YouTube vids of CCFC highlights recently from the Dave Jones days, forget just how good Macca was, completely controlled the game and made it look effortless. Didn't realise how good we had it in that era and that team.

McPhail didn't control games, very rarely anyway - on the other hand, he seldom gave the ball away. A good, neat player, who liked to keep the ball on the floor and keep the game simple.

I always thought McPhail's problem wasn't at his peak here the players around him weren't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    McPhail didn't control games, very rarely anyway - on the other hand, he seldom gave the ball away. A good, neat player, who liked to keep the ball on the floor and keep the game simple.
    I'm not sure that's true. Look at his passing in this game for example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-glIlB_dx90

Also, almost every ex-player mentions him as one of the best players they've played with, which says a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Someone who sat in the middle of the pitch, spread the ball out to the attacking players and dictated the pace of the game, I'd call that controlling a game, and Macca was the best i've seen at it in my time watching Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I always thought McPhail's problem wasn't at his peak here the players around him weren't good enough.
    Agree to a certain extent but maybe McPhail found his level with us.
    As with most, put good players in amongst good players, they become better players.

You do have to earn the right to play with the best though and Silva has.

There are those who go for the comfortable ride, being a big fish in a small pond but you have to admire those who strive for better.
    Examples being Shearer in the former and
    Suarez being one of those that fall into the latter category.

Looking back now, one of the few positive things about our top flight season is being able to say you've seen players like aguero and Suarez in the flesh.

McPhail was a good championship mid on his day but he was not a great player, every season since he has left us people seem to up his level, was calm and picked simple passes, nothing more nothing less

Silva is IMO most consistent player in the Prem and has been since he signed for Man City. My favourite Premiership player.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Iniesta is probably my favourite player (alongside Messi) at the moment. I've been lucky enough to see him play 3 or 4 times live and you're right he's a joy to watch.

It's interesting that Silva has gone from playing in a 10 role to playing in the Iniesta role tucked in on the left.

It will be a sad day when Iniesta retires as in my opinion there is only one Iniesta
    True. And there's only one joniesta!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    McPhail was a good championship mid on his day but he was not a great player, every season since he has left us people seem to up his level, was calm and picked simple passes, nothing more nothing less
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Who? Although he could have been a good continuity type player who just kept things ticking over by playing simple looking passes on to colleagues, McPhail did far more than that and he was, mentally, one of the bravest players I've seen at the club.

There are similarities with Peter Whittingham in that, if the object of the exercise is to get the best out of him, you should play two in central midfield alongside him, not one. We played 4-4-2 in virtually every match McPhail played for the club and, given the forward talent we had while he was here, you can understand why Dave Jones favoured that system so much, but, more than Whitts, I think McPhail could have been hugely influential in a 4-5-1/4-3-3.