+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Memories of Derby

Memories of Derby

I'd been to a few games in the previous seasons, but it was about mid sixties that I started to go to every game at home and quite a few away. I remember Derby coming to NP and fair play, they tore us apart and won 5-1. I went to the return game at the Baseball Ground in about the January or February, I'm pretty sure it was Brian Clarkes debut and he scored after 2 or 3 minutes. We won 4-3 on a complete mud tip as the Baseball ground was in those days. Great memories though. I wonder if that was the quickest goal ever by a player making his debut, or I wonder how many players have scored for us on their debut. Anyone know?

Re: Memories of Derby

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Hunt View Post
    I'd been to a few games in the previous seasons, but it was about mid sixties that I started to go to every game at home and quite a few away. I remember Derby coming to NP and fair play, they tore us apart and won 5-1. I went to the return game at the Baseball Ground in about the January or February, I'm pretty sure it was Brian Clarkes debut and he scored after 2 or 3 minutes. We won 4-3 on a complete mud tip as the Baseball ground was in those days. Great memories though. I wonder if that was the quickest goal ever by a player making his debut, or I wonder how many players have scored for us on their debut. Anyone know?
    Brian Clough was Derby manager at the time and he ridiculed City after their win at NP. It was sweet revenge in the return at the Baseball Ground.

Feedback

I've been to Derby to watch the city twice. I've still not seen a football match

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I've been to Derby to watch the city twice. I've still not seen a football match
    Was it when Slade was in charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Brian Clough was Derby manager at the time and he ridiculed City after their win at NP. It was sweet revenge in the return at the Baseball Ground.
    Clough hated Cardiff after Danny Malloy knocked him out in a game between us and Middlesboro.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Hunt View Post
    I was at that game at the Baseball Ground. I went behind the goal and something that stuck in my mind was how short the Derby defenders seemed compared to our forwards. I can't remember if Les Green was their goalie in that game but I think he was only about 5'8" or less. Derby were just starting to get good around this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Clough hated Cardiff after Danny Malloy knocked him out in a game between us and Middlesboro.
    Now there was a City legend Danny Malloy best Centre half I have seen at the City, a brilliant captain as well.

Deja vu

Whoever was there tonight is gonna have some long lasting memories for sure

Wow what a stat - my mum (RIP) loved Danny Malloy as a leader and it was a pleasure to see him at CCS fairly recently - we should do this more often with ex players at CCFC IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    ".. I chinned him.."