+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it too early to mention Playoffs?

Is it too early to mention Playoffs?

As we are only 1 position behind a team who had "their play off hopes dented" last night. Are they becoming a possibility?

Its a long way off, and even between us and Derby a good points difference. But if we continue as we are playing we could be one of those teams that makes a last minute climb into contention. We need to average a point more a game than those above us to get into the playoffs. 13 points behind with 14 to play. We are now also 13 points ahead of relegation.

I put a bet on at 40/1 recently. Not holding much hope of it paying off. But still have some hope.

Re: Is it too early to mention Playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    As we are only 1 position behind a team who had "their play off hopes dented" last night. Are they becoming a possibility?

Its a long way off, and even between us and Derby a good points difference. But if we continue as we are playing we could be one of those teams that makes a last minute climb into contention. We need to average a point more a game than those above us to get into the playoffs. 13 points behind with 14 to play. We are now also 13 points ahead of relegation.

I put a bet on at 40/1 recently. Not holding much hope of it paying off. But still have some hope.

Think that boat has sailed,for this season at least.

Derby have a game in hand that will lift them to 50 points should they win, still think they have play off hopes myself.

Rather than the points gaps though i think the number of teams in between is too many. Closing a 13/15 point gaps if sat in 7th is more realistic then sat in 12th with 6 teams to climb above.

I think the average to get 6th spot is 72 points. We have 42 available. That means we would need to average over 2 points a game. It would be nothing short of miraculous if we were to achieve that. Having said that, this is the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I think the average to get 6th spot is 72 points. We have 42 available. That means we would need to average over 2 points a game. It would be nothing short of miraculous if we were to achieve that. Having said that, this is the Championship.
    We've won 10 from 20 under NW. We'd almost certainly have to win 10 from 14.

Not this season but maybe next but it is a very big maybe after all we are cardiff city and a basket club

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Not this season but maybe next but it is a very big maybe after all we are cardiff city and a basket club
    A basket club?

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Think that boat has sailed,for this season at least.
    Ai, but we aint sinking in a boat, we are flying.

were up

I have a bet that we will finish in the top half of the table, I am not confident that will come through yet.
    Play offs are beyond us this season.

I think we'd have to win every game to do that. The current 6th placed team, Sheffield Wednesday are currently on course for 81.6 points. We have to win 13 games to reach 84.

We're too far into the season to start considering Play-Offs now.
    A top half finish would be seen as a an unbelievable achievement to me considering where we were when Warnock first joined the club.

We're nearly safe, hopefully NW gets the funds he needs in the Summer and we can try next year.

I think we've got too much to do, but keep our best players, keep warnock and buy a couple of key players in the summer and I think we'll have a great chance next season.

You can mention them but that it really

I think its going to take around 76 points or more to finish top 6 this season. I can't see Cardiff achieving this.

I think the best we can do is 7th or 8th, which would be a bloody good effort from where we were. There is a bit of a gap above that and we would need to win nearly every game I think

Feedback

longer term thinking would see us get to a safe position and then blood some of the promising youngsters for next season. With a few experienced signings and one or two offloads Warnock wouldn't be far short of a team knocking the door

Safe money clearly goes on no play-offs, but I'd gladly put a fiver on Cardiff making and winning the Play-Offs.

About 6 weeks ago I went in ladbrokes got the city at 80/1 to make the play offs put 13 quid on it because I am superstitious so could i ould trouser £13000.I haven't missed the money to be honest and I had a 3 quid side bet double to take it up to £15 which will net me 260 quid if the tramps stay up in the Premiership. Here's hoping <○> <○> <●>

£1300 I meant....

Quote Originally Posted by Be Bop Deluxe View Post
    £1300 I meant....
    play offs

what year are you talking about ? next year , chinese new year , or a leap year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I have a bet that we will finish in the top half of the table, I am not confident that will come through yet.
    Play offs are beyond us this season.
    what odd's did you get ? ? they were fairly good if i remember correctly, you posted about it the day before the first bristol game ( i think ) i planned on putting a bet on, but that night we drove from CCS to heathrow to go on holidays, i got back and forgot about it

We won't make the play offs but top half of the table would be incredible considering where we were (not only in terms of league position) when Warnock took over.

The way the club has been transformed in the space of 4 or 5 months is nothing short of unbelievable.

We were selling two goalkeepers on deadline day in August.

There was no connection between the academy and the first team, the fans (including me) were the most apathetic i have ever witnessed, the rebrands dark clouds still lingered and i thought we were odds on to slide back down into the lower leagues.

4 months on and everything has flipped on its head. We are building assets on the pitch, the board have let the football men get on with it, Bellamy has breathed new life into the academy, we see both a short term and a long term vision unfolding in the way the dvp squad are playing and the fans have pride in the club once again.

Warnock has done absolute wonders to transform us and a big well done to the chairman and the board for allowing him to get on with it.

I think we'd do very well to hold onto a top-half finish let alone push for play-off contention.

I think the Play Offs are out of the question, but if/when we get to fifty points, we should pursue them while it's still mathematically possible. However, once they are out of reach, I'd say more good would be done by giving younger players some experience of senior football over a few matches so they may be better prepared for it if they are needed again, rather than doing a Slade from 14/15 when he kept on picking senior players in a, failed, bid to finish ninth I think it was.

Rotherham's results under Neil Warnock tailed off last season when they faced five or six matches after they had all but avoided relegation and something similar could happen to us with the realisation that there is nothing to play for - if we find ourselves in a Rotherham type position for our last few matches, let's at least see how a few of our youngsters cope with first team football.