+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wenger

Wenger

Surely he will give up at the end of the season? Along with Fergie, it will probably be the end of long term managership in the Premier league.
    He looked totally screwed in his after match interview, and was genuinely struggling to answer any questions, and looked really embarrassed.
    To be fair, his record of going a whole season unbeaten, and playing some of the best football that division has ever seen, can never be taken away from him, but it's getting painful now,
    I've taken a bit of interest in Arsenal ever since Rambo signed for them, and to be fair, their fans have been lucky enough to see champions league football for what seems an eternity, but in today's cut throat world of club football, Wengers just not cutting the mustard anymore, and it will be interesting to see who replaces him, as financially the gunners seem top loaded and could easily dominate the British game if they go about it in the right manner.

Re: Wenger

To be fair to Wenger he's been let down by his players who are under performing, Arsenal don't spend as much as the other top teams in the EPL either

the man needs to go, he has no tactical nous, appears to be incapable of motivating the players, and is content with 4th place & last 16. he has money to spend but is reluctant to or spend and too loyal to too many underperforming players. as good as he was he has been left behind. be careful for what you wish? chelsea change managers like socks and they still compete and win titles

I feel sorry for Wenger a little, He has spent years at a club, a club that at a time prioritised a stadium build over a team build and its clear that Wenger has worked on a totally different budget compared to the other clubs in the top 6 (his section of the league). However with these constraints he has always qualified for Europe and done ok at that level.

What we see at Arsenal is a club that plays decent football, that does well in the league and does not carry about with it a hellish amount of debt, it doesn't need huge benefactors either. If it were Cardiff in that position i would be delighted, it seems to be that well run club we all talk about.

I understand all fans want to see clubs kick on, to get better year on year, and as such Arsenal fans want to go from competing to winning. However i feel that if Wenger went, and the clubs stick to its principle of not overspending you will see the club go backwards, suddenly not qualifying for Europe, having less to spend to stay within budget, and the fans suddenly seeing what a good job was being done by Wenger.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    I feel sorry for Wenger a little, He has spent years at a club, a club that at a time prioritised a stadium build over a team build and its clear that Wenger has worked on a totally different budget compared to the other clubs in the top 6 (his section of the league). However with these constraints he has always qualified for Europe and done ok at that level.

What we see at Arsenal is a club that plays decent football, that does well in the league and does not carry about with it a hellish amount of debt, it doesn't need huge benefactors either. If it were Cardiff in that position i would be delighted, it seems to be that well run club we all talk about.

I understand all fans want to see clubs kick on, to get better year on year, and as such Arsenal fans want to go from competing to winning. However i feel that if Wenger went, and the clubs stick to its principle of not overspending you will see the club go backwards, suddenly not qualifying for Europe, having less to spend to stay within budget, and the fans suddenly seeing what a good job was being done by Wenger.
    Arsenal are going backwards though. For ten to fifteen years Arsenal were the team in the Premier League above all of the others that I would make a point not missing if they had a game being televised, but not any more - they've got a few very good players, so there's always a chance that you'll see something special on an individual basis, but they're a pretty ordinary team in that league now who I'd say are flattered by the position they find themselves in.

In many ways, Aaron Ramsey is encapsulating Arsenal's decline. I know I'm biased, but Wenger is mismanaging the career of someone who is certainly Britain's best central midfield player and, potentially, one of the best in the world - I don't think I'm going over the top there, after all he was proving he was one of the best in his position in Europe only a few months ago.

Given the way Ramsey has played at times when he has been given the licence to perform as a proper number ten, he is being wasted by Wenger playing deeper and out wide, while a player like Ozil, who epitomises the modern Arsenal (talented and sometimes very effective, but ultimately flawed and an under achiever) as he flickers in and out of the really important matches while doing little to influence them.

Until about a year ago, I agreed with the sort of viewpoint you set out, but now I ask myself where is Wenger supposed to be taking Arsenal, because there never seems to be any year on year improvement and his faith in decent players like Coquelin, Monreal and Walcott, who would not have got near his great sides of the early noughties, is an admission of the lower standards that he has overseen in the last ten years or so.

I reckon Munich 5 Arsenal 1 might be the result that turns some influential people at the club, who have been supporters of his until now into, against awarding Wenger a new contract - I think we are coming to the end of an era.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 16-02-17 at 09:43.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Arsenal are going backwards though. For ten to fifteen years Arsenal were the team in the Premier League above all of the others that I would make a point not missing if they had a game being televised, but not any more - they've got a few very good players, so there's always a chance that you'll see something special on an individual basis, but they're a pretty ordinary team on that league who I'd say are flattered by the position they find themselves in.

In many ways, Aaron Ramsey is encapsulating Arsenal's decline. I know I'm biased, but Wenger is mismanaging the career of someone who is certainly Britain's best central midfield player and, potentially, one of the best in the world - I don't think I'm going over the top there, after all he was proving he was one of the best in his position in Europe only a few months ago.

Given the way Ramsey has played at times when he has been given the licence to perform as a proper number ten, he is being wasted by Wenger playing deeper and out wide, while a player like Ozil who symbolises the modern Arsenal (talented and sometimes very effective, but ultimately flawed and an under achiever) flickers in and out of the really important matches while doing little to influence them.

Until about a year ago, I agreed with the sort of viewpoint you set out, but now I ask myself where is Wenger supposed to be taking Arsenal, because there never seems to be any year on year improvement and his faith in decent players like Coquelin, Monreal and Walcott who would not have got near his great sides of the early noughties is an admission of the lower standards that he has overseen in the last ten years or so.

I reckon Munich 5 Arsenal 1 might be the result that turns some influential people at the club, who have been supporters of his until now into, against awarding Wenger a new contract - I think we are coming to the end of an era.
    Arsenal are going backwards, because more teams around them are spending more heavily than they are. Ultimately spending, but spending that semi-wisely is the root of success in the premier league.

The tide is turning at Arsenal, and im not sure that Wenger will turn this around at this point. Im certain that he will not be in charge next season.

However i believe that a new manager will not be able achieve the results Wenger has on the budget that he is working on. Or we will see a change in the budget that will give the manager more spending power, that may then come at the expense of Ramsey who may be forced out, or played less in favour of a managers big name signing.

For all we say about Ramsey i do not believe he would have been treated or developed any better at any of the other top 6 clubs.

The worst part about Arsenal is their fans. They pay extraordinary ticket prices but don't complain, their player smokes away his lungs but is still "our Jack" while booing better professionals, and they have Champions League football for eternity yet think this means they are entitled to premier league titles.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The worst part about Arsenal is their fans. They pay extraordinary ticket prices but don't complain, their player smokes away his lungs but is still "our Jack" while booing better professionals, and they have Champions League football for eternity yet think this means they are entitled to premier league titles.
    And Piers Morgan.

Also Arsenal have massive cash reserves these days but Wenger keeps saying there's no one to spend money on that will improve the team.

Then the fact Draxler moves for not a huge amount in January and Arsenal didn't even try to get him speaks volumes, he is the exact sort of player they need.

I've always been a fan of wenger but I think he's become stubborn and stuck in his was to the detriment of the team.

Three main problems Wenger has:

1. Can't motivate the players to give 100%

2. Hasn't spent enough / attract the "biggest" players

3. A bit like Dave Jones, he is incredibly stubborn and this is probably his biggest downfall.

If he doesn't go at the end of the season, Ramsey has to get out surely. Maybe out of the Premier League altogether, I'll lose all hope if he goes to an Everton, Southampton, West Ham or even United.

Spain or Germany for me.

spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Three main problems Wenger has:

1. Can't motivate the players to give 100%

2. Hasn't spent enough / attract the "biggest" players

3. A bit like Dave Jones, he is incredibly stubborn and this is probably his biggest downfall.

If he doesn't go at the end of the season, Ramsey has to get out surely. Maybe out of the Premier League altogether, I'll lose all hope if he goes to an Everton, Southampton, West Ham or even United.

Spain or Germany for me.
    I hope not, we need him for the World Cup qualifiers and it'll be tough for him to get into that Spanish midfield.

What team do people think Rambo could go to?

The best team I can think of in the UK is Liverpool or Spurs. I don't think he would start regularly for Man U, City or Chelsea. I really don't think he's as good as many on here think he is. To me, his decision making and ball retention are suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

The best team I can think of in the UK is Liverpool or Spurs. I don't think he would start regularly for Man U, City or Chelsea. I really don't think he's as good as many on here think he is. To me, his decision making and ball retention are suspect.
    You think?
    I thought he was easily one of the stand out centre midfielders at the Euros but then he's in a different team, playing with different players in a different sort of role.
    Ideally I'd like to see him go abroad, maybe not to teams as big as Juve, PSG or Barca but perhaps someone like Sevilla, Roma, Monaco or Dortmund where he'd likely get more game time.

Jesus, he's spent about 200 million since 2013!

He spent 33 million on Xhaka and 35 on Mustafi, then threw another 20 odd on a striker who plays in the milk cup only on deadline day. Some people are spinning the story that Arsenal and him are from a Dickens novel.

Poor arsenal had it so rough on that budget!!

spending last 5 years
    http://www.transferleague.co.uk/prem...t-five-seasons

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Poor arsenal had it so rough on that budget!!

spending last 5 years
    http://www.transferleague.co.uk/prem...t-five-seasons
    Spent less than the other top six teams then, but didnt sell as much on.

Wage bill is lower than the top six as well. Outlaid £200m less than Chelsea, and the 2 Manchester teams.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

I understand where you are coming from with your last statement but I am sure much of his loss of form has been down to a) lack of sustained appearances and b) not playing in his preferred position in the centre.

A couple of seasons ago, he was the best midfielder in the country, plenty of assists and scoring at will, top goals too.
    If my memory serves me right, he was then asked to play on the right to accommodate one of the numerous midfielders brought into the squad (still top heavy in that department IMO and little in the way of out and out strikers).
    Perhaps he and his agent could have negotiated better.

The thing with Ramsey is he is not afraid to try things and occasionally those things don't come off and he gets flak.
    Ozil, for example, takes the easy option, passes the buck if you like, unless Arsenal are dominating where he may turn on the style.

I do agree that Ramsey may not be Conte's, Mourinho's or Guardiola's first choice but if he was allowed to be the main man at the "lucky" club, he could well make them wish he was.

Regarding the OP, Wenger did look shell shocked last night.
    It could have been worse too had Bayern not been wasteful* (particularly Lewandowski)
    I said in a thread a week or so ago, he'd be under massive pressure after the Chelsea beating, he seemed to ride that one but might not for much longer after this.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I understand where you are coming from with your last statement but I am sure much of his loss of form has been down to a) lack of sustained appearances and b) not playing in his preferred position in the centre.

A couple of seasons ago, he was the best midfielder in the country, plenty of assists and scoring at will, top goals too.
    If my memory serves me right, he was then asked to play on the right to accommodate one of the numerous midfielders brought into the squad (still top heavy in that department IMO and little in the way of out and out strikers).
    Perhaps he and his agent could have negotiated better.

The thing with Ramsey is he is not afraid to try things and occasionally those things don't come off and he gets flak.
    Ozil, for example, takes the easy option, passes the buck if you like, unless Arsenal are dominating where he may turn on the style.

I do agree that Ramsey may not be Conte's, Mourinho's or Guardiola's first choice but if he was allowed to be the main man at the "lucky" club, he could well make them wish he was.

Regarding the OP, Wenger did look shell shocked last night.
    It could have been worse too had Bayern not been wasteful* (particularly Lewandowski)
    I said in a thread a week or so ago, he'd be under massive pressure after the Chelsea beating, he seemed to ride that one but might not for much longer after this.
    Where is he going to be the main man at a club, even at Arsenal where the manager picks him every game he is available he has been pushed out of his favored position by a big name signing. What top club out there are not continuous signing top players.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    To be fair to Wenger he's been let down by his players who are under performing, Arsenal don't spend as much as the other top teams in the EPL either
    And let down by the club ,he has been unable to compete on the same playing field as the other top clubs fiancailly

I think it's commendable that Arsene has wanted to build stars rather than spend and for those who disagree - there are Arsenal fans who wanted Sanchez, Ozil and Cech to have been bought in one window - they should list to Jose Mourinho who said that you can only buy what other clubs want to sell now.

Only the likes of Bayern, Barca and Real Madrid can buy players already shooting into stardom while every other team has to make their own stars.

However, I can also see Arsenal fans frustration as it's the same thing each year: even when they are close in January (as they often are) they seem to stop playing and only start again when the title is far from their hopes. They may have finished 2nd last year pipping Spurs to that league position but Arsenal gave up on the title in March'ish time whereas Spurs kept going until the last three games. And how many times can you be drawn to a big Champions League team and lose the first leg so heavily that the second leg doesn't matter? That is where I have sympathy for Arsenal fans.
    Last edited by surge; 16-02-17 at 17:15.

Yeah I agree Sevila or Atletico Madrid ANYWHERE bar Arsenal

Spent less than the other top six teams then, but didnt sell as much on.

Wage bill is lower than the top six as well. Outlaid £200m less than Chelsea, and the 2 Manchester teams.
    Not sure outlay counts alone now in Arsenals case as they are not servicing a debt with player sales according to philippe auclair. So 3rd highest net spend in 5 years according to that table, should be doing better and certainly not skint or running on shoe string as is the misconception.

Do you have a wage bill info, be interested to see (and then cry)?

I think it's been Wengers intention all season to make this his last one but didn't want to make the same mistake that Fergue did by announcing it early and demotivating the team.
    I'm pretty sure he'll be gone next year and he really should before he destroys all the memories of the sides he put together in the first half of his career.
    A genuine great manager who now appears out of touch.
    Sampoli would be the ideal replacement if they want to hang on to Sanchez