+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting article about Burnley's defence

Interesting article about Burnley's defence

Re: Interesting article about Burnley's defence

Got bored by the second paragraph !!

What is it with fans & f ucking stats. !!

8%, 10%, 50%, 101%, who give a flying fig, AS LONG AS YOU WIN

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

I bet you were shit at sums in school

Really interesting. I like Sean Dyche and I think his next step as a manager will be building a more expansive team to try and break into that top half and maybe even challenge for Europe

On the subject of Burnley, they took the pretty risky move of going up, taking the money, keeping the same manager and re-building in the Championship before going back up and its worked out pretty well for them

As you know RJK I'm not a huge fan of supporters using stats but i thought it was a decent article with a strange conclusion to be fair.

I don't think that the stats necessarily point to the conclusion that Burnley work on these things extensively anymore than anyone else.

I think a more likely conclusion is that Sean Dyche is in the same management mould as Malky and when he looks for players it is imperative that character comes before flair.

Burnley have honest players who are willing to put their bodies on the line far more than a John Stones or a Gael Clichy and therefore are far more willing to put their bodies on the line.

It was interestingto see that the author of the article disagreed with Dyche's own interpretation of these stats!

I like Dyche and it was good to see Burnley stick with him despite relegation in his first Premier League season.

Didn't seem as if they got much credit last season considering they were champions. The media seemed to be besotted with Boro going up.

Fantasy football players will know that Heaton is way out in front in terms of saves made this season:

Heaton 105
    Foster 88
    Cech and Gomes 74

This might have something to do with it

"The theory is that Burnley are positioning themselves in places which direct shots towards Heaton, with keeper and defenders deliberately working in tandem to make lives easier for themselves rather than trying to throw any body possible in front of the shot. If executed properly, this method could also cut down on the chance of deflections past the keeper while and gives Heaton more time to see the shot coming and react quickly."

His saves are 'easier' than for other keepers.

Not as interesting as Dyche's disc beard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_vdBeh7XnM
    Last edited by qccfc; 17-02-17 at 13:29.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    As you know RJK I'm not a huge fan of supporters using stats but i thought it was a decent article with a strange conclusion to be fair.

I don't think that the stats necessarily point to the conclusion that Burnley work on these things extensively anymore than anyone else.

I think a more likely conclusion is that Sean Dyche is in the same management mould as Malky and when he looks for players it is imperative that character comes before flair.

Burnley have honest players who are willing to put their bodies on the line far more than a John Stones or a Gael Clichy and therefore are far more willing to put their bodies on the line.

It was interestingto see that the author of the article disagreed with Dyche's own interpretation of these stats!
    I think that most if not all of the guys who contribute to that site have worked in football/sports analysis, so they aren't just fans who know how to use a spreadsheet.
    All the top clubs are doing this to some extent, but it seems like Burnley have found or copied an interesting way of maximising their defensive chances.

One thing I didn't quite understand is if they're so well drilled defensively and so effective on the break, then why are they so good at home and terrible away?

36% of football fans love stats.

You haven't got to comment on every thread you absolute aids infection

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    36% of football fans love stats.
    The other 74% can't make head nor tail of dem.