+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fulham

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fulham

Decent article for TOBW, Loramski etc to look at.

Re: Fulham

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Fulham’s academy production line a shining light as the dark days recede

https://www.theguardian.com/football...y_to_clipboard

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Oops sorry

Guardian seem to be doing some nice articles about Championship football lately. I read an older one this morning about the job Paul Heckingbottom is doing at Barnsely which is worth a read too.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Guardian seem to be doing some nice articles about Championship football lately. I read an older one this morning about the job Paul Heckingbottom is doing at Barnsely which is worth a read too.
    Where's the link mate?

I was only thinking the other day that if Warnock did walk i would love Heckingbottom to be his replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Where's the link mate?
    I was only thinking the other day that if Warnock did walk i would love Heckingbottom to be his replacement.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...e-championship

The top of the table seems to be made up of clubs who have spent big (Wednesday and Newcastle), clubs who have been close for years (Brighton) and others who are doing things right for them and challenging (Reading, Huddersfield, leeds, Barnsley) because of it. I feel like we're just starting to become part of that third group.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...e-championship

The top of the table seems to be made up of clubs who have spent big (Wednesday and Newcastle), clubs who have been close for years (Brighton) and others who are doing things right for them and challenging (Reading, Huddersfield, leeds, Barnsley) because of it. I feel like we're just starting to become part of that third group.
    Thank you Surge. You're right that's another excellent article and it just goes to show that if you have a proper recruitment team then there are players out there. Torquay, Barnet, Chester is where they are picking up players from not giving 10-12 million for Mccormack and Rhodes after their latest failure!

They have lost 2 or 3 of their stand out players in January but they still keep getting results.

I really hope we learn to emulate clubs like Fulham, Huddersfield and Barnsley next summer and recruit with insight and prudence.

Fair play to Heckingbottom he's doing a superb job

A couple of very interesting links in this thread, especially when you consider that, although I still believe we could, and should, have beaten them, Barnsley are for me, in many ways, the most impressive team to play us at Cardiff City Stadium this season. Also, although our attitude and performance stank that day, Fulham were probably the second best side I've seen come here.

What Barnsley have done in recent seasons in terms of recruitment should put the equivalent departments at many Championship clubs to shame. For example, if I can watch Alfie Mawson playing on loan for Wycombe in 2014/15 and think he's the sort of player we should be looking at, why couldn't someone at Cardiff City (especially as he would leave Brentford for League One Barnsley on a Bosman a few months later and we were supposed to have a manager who was an expert in lower league football)?

Despite losing their two top scorers in the summer, Fulham are as potent going forward on their day this season as any side in the Championship. Again, I would say this was more down to good recruitment, albeit on a far bigger budget than Barnsley's, than their Academy, but both clubs have been far more successful at introducing home produced youngsters into the first team in recent years than we have been, but, then again, is there any team out there who have done as poorly as we have in that department lately?

Bringing it back to City, the recent Under 23 home matches with Ipswich and Burnley (and, to a lesser extent, the one with Millwall in between them) have made me a lot more optimistic than I was that we may soon be seeing a young player coming into the first team who can make a significant impact.

So, that's a definite plus point for the recent shake up and change of personnel at the levels below the first team at Cardiff, but this has to be balanced by what's been happening at Under 18 level in recent games. Results aren't everything at age group levels of course, but the four defeats they've suffered in their last six matches have been by 5-0, 6-0, 7-0 and 4-0 respectively (albeit the first of these losses was by a "senior" Academy team in the Youth Cup match at Chelsea).

Now I think the idea of, effectively, moving each team up one age group level, as we did recently, is a good one in theory and accept that, inevitably, it's going to mean more defeats for all of our youngsters. However, it could become harder to justify if a side that were doing well at their own age group level, like our Under 16s were before Christmas, then start suffering a series of thrashings when they step up a level to face players who are, sometimes, two or three years older then them. I'm hopeful that a few will get stronger for the experience and it won't do their development any harm, but basic human nature tells you that there will be some talented lads who will be the worse for the experience.

I'm going along to the Under 18 match with QPR at lunchtime believing that Craig Bellamy and the others at the Academy can start producing first team players for us pretty soon, but I hope for their sake's, that our lads can give a good account of themselves and show that it doesn't have to be heavy defeat after heavy defeat for them until the end of the season.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 18-02-17 at 07:34.