+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zahore Vs Gestede

Re: Zahore Vs Gestede

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Ken has scored some great goals this season. His second today was just sublime. And what about that solo goal against Preston. Those two are better than any Rudy has scored in his whole career.

I hope he keeps this up, he'll be our 20 goal striker next season.
    Didn't Rudy score a wonder goal in the FA cup just yesterday?

Ken will no doubt be better than Rudy was here, but it was only after us that Rudy showed anything like that which caught the interest of two premier league sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Loads of posters were slagging the guy off not so long ago. Pity they haven't got the bollox to admit they got it wrong.
    Who slagged him off?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Who slagged him off?
    Tandy, Chepstow & Cardiffi, the usual gloom merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Who slagged him off?
    I dunno Steve , who was it ?

Ah this guy ?

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...ghlight=Zohore

The question was correct at the time , as he has developed my opinion has changed. That doesn't change my opinion at the time I asked the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Ah this guy ?

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php...ghlight=Zohore

The question was correct at the time , as he has developed my opinion has changed. That doesn't change my opinion at the time I asked the question.
    Penarth Blues and me and some others could see something in him

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Penarth Blues and me and some others could see something in him
    Agreed, it was very very raw though. This guy now looks like a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I dunno Steve , who was it ?
    Can't remember now Jim me lad.

I spotted his potential at Brentford last year, but it was clear to everyone that although he could be a handful for 20 minutes he was shockingly unfit.

Apparently yesterday he won 12 arial duels, if he's sorting this and his touch and finishing along with his undoubted pace and strength then he's going to be head and shoulders better than Rudi.

Bothroyd though.., that's a big call. Bothroyd had it all except the heart
    If he turns into a Bothroyd with balls then he'll be worth £20m

CVs Gestede

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Ken has scored some great goals this season. His second today was just sublime. And what about that solo goal against Preston. Those two are better than any Rudy has scored in his whole career.

I hope he keeps this up, he'll be our 20 goal striker next season.
    He wont, unless he learns how to finish from six yards, there are other aspects of his game that he needs to improve on, although his finishing in and around the box is the biggest issue. I like him, he's very composed, but he can't finish with instinct, he likes to lift his head up and see the goal, when the likes of Chopra and Earnie didn't have to lift their head up, they just new, and acted automatically. If 'Big Ken' can add that to his game, then we've got a player.

Re: CVs Gestede

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He wont, unless he learns how to finish from six yards, there are other aspects of his game that he needs to improve on, although his finishing in and around the box is the biggest issue. I like him, he's very composed, but he can't finish with instinct, he likes to lift his head up and see the goal, when the likes of Chopra and Earnie didn't have to lift their head up, they just new, and acted automatically. If 'Big Ken' can add that to his game, then we've got a player.
    I loved Earnie and Chopra but this doesn't stop me from seeming to remember that they both needed a lot of chances to score a goal. In fact I can remember that irritating me about Earnie more than anything - he'd get into great positions but fail to score a lot of times.

It's important to remember that this is the first time Zohore has really understood what he is capable of - and with that comes confidence. Both his goals on Saturday were real class in their execution and the confidence with which they were scored. It's just a pity that he missed the much simpler 6 yard chance in the first half, but those will come as he learns what is needed to finish those close range chances.

Having said that, I'm not yet getting carried away. He's still benefitting from the fact that he's only just starting to be seen as a real threat. The marking is about to become a whole lot harder for him from here on in - the true test of whether he's got what it takes will come then. If he can get over 10 goals this campaign he'll have done well for his Rookie season.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Tandy, Chepstow & Cardiffi, the usual gloom merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I loved Earnie and Chopra but this doesn't stop me from seeming to remember that they both needed a lot of chances to score a goal. In fact I can remember that irritating me about Earnie more than anything - he'd get into great positions but fail to score a lot of times.

It's important to remember that this is the first time Zohore has really understood what he is capable of - and with that comes confidence. Both his goals on Saturday were real class in their execution and the confidence with which they were scored. It's just a pity that he missed the much simpler 6 yard chance in the first half, but those will come as he learns what is needed to finish those close range chances.

Having said that, I'm not yet getting carried away. He's still benefitting from the fact that he's only just starting to be seen as a real threat. The marking is about to become a whole lot harder for him from here on in - the true test of whether he's got what it takes will come then. If he can get over 10 goals this campaign he'll have done well for his Rookie season.

I think our fans are naturally pessimistic. Probably down to the many false dawns we've had, but i think Kenneth has got all the attributes to be a £10 million striker in todays market.

Yes he probably should have finished that chance in the first half, but his first touch which presented the opportunity was sublime.

He is raw there is no doubt about that and he definitely needs to learn to attacked the ball when it's crossed in. (There was one in the second half when he should have smashed the centre back and won the header)

However the lad is getting much better in his game awareness and he must be a joy to have as an outlet.

It's no wonder we have caused the better teams in this league problems lately when you've got his power and pace on the counter.

I don't think he'll consistently produce yet but give him a couple of seasons i think we'll have a top player on our hands and though he may not have the natural talent of Jay Bothroyd i believe his work rate will enable him to acheive more

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Loads of posters were slagging the guy off not so long ago. Pity they haven't got the bollox to admit they got it wrong.
    I remember slagging him off along with Fred about 4 or 5 months ago. Both looked like donkeys at the time.

Fair play to Ken, he's the proof that us fans need to give players a proper run of games before judging them (Healey is another in that category).

Maybe Fred isn't a donkey either...

Good post, although I can't ever remember earnie missing that many nailed on chances, I suppose you tend to forget the misses when a player is as prolific as he was. My point about Zohore was that-to me-he doesn't look like an instinctive striker, he just doesn't play that way. He's not the type striker that makes those short bursts infront of defenders, or who can pounce on lose balls, poor defending in and around the box. I hope he develops those traits, to say that they'll come is inaccurate, we simply don't know whether he'll ever possess those attributes that top strikers rely on. I hope he does, and i'm really pleased for him and Warnock, it's a lift for the fans when something unexpected comes along and excites us. He is strong, composed and has a good touch and technique, and is a very strong runner, although,is he sharp and instinctive around the box, does he peel off defenders in order to give him a yard of space? not yet-will he develop those skills? Who knows? As it stands, i'm really starting to enjoy my time watching the club, and isn't it great that we are debating the merits of Zohore, something we couldn't of dreamed about two months ago!

Warnock talking about Zohore on Goals on Sunday. He said he was the only striker on the bench when we played Wolves and he pulled him into the toilet half time and said this is the only chance you're gonna get. You either put yourself about, chase everything and show me what you're about or you are off to Belgium and you won't play in this league again!

He said when he arrived he just pranced about in training with gloves on!

Good post, although I can't ever remember earnie missing that many nailed on chances, I suppose you tend to forget the misses when a player is as prolific as he was. My point about Zohore was that-to me-he doesn't look like an instinctive striker, he just doesn't play that way. He's not the type striker that makes those short bursts infront of defenders, or who can pounce on lose balls, poor defending in and around the box. I hope he develops those traits, to say that they'll come is inaccurate, we simply don't know whether he'll ever possess those attributes that top strikers rely on. I hope he does, and i'm really pleased for him and Warnock, it's a lift for the fans when something unexpected comes along and excites us. He is strong, composed and has a good touch and technique, and is a very strong runner, although,is he sharp and instinctive around the box, does he peel off defenders in order to give him a yard of space? not yet-will he develop those skills? Who knows? As it stands, i'm really starting to enjoy my time watching the club, and isn't it great that we are debating the merits of Zohore, something we couldn't of dreamed about two months ago!
    True - it is not a given that he possesses those qualities and he may never acquire them. However the rate of change is startling from someone who could not do anything right just a few weeks ago to the person who made the run into the box off Hoilett for his first, and had the self-belief to hit that exquisite lob first-time for his second.

My instinct is that he's got everything he needs to be one of the best strikers I've ever seen play for Cardiff, however I don't think we'll ever see it as I think he'll be gone in the Summer to a Premier League side to fund our push for promotion next year. While he's here though I'm going to really enjoy the rest of this season!

You are right as well, it is good to be talking about an exciting upturn in the fortunes of Cardiff City and its players for a change!

True - it is not a given that he possesses those qualities and he may never acquire them. However the rate of change is startling from someone who could not do anything right just a few weeks ago to the person who made the run into the box off Hoilett for his first, and had the self-belief to hit that exquisite lob first-time for his second.

My instinct is that he's got everything he needs to be one of the best strikers I've ever seen play for Cardiff, however I don't think we'll ever see it as I think he'll be gone in the Summer to a Premier League side to fund our push for promotion next year. While he's here though I'm going to really enjoy the rest of this season!

You are right as well, it is good to be talking about an exciting upturn in the fortunes of Cardiff City and its players for a change!
    High praise indeed! I hope you're right on all counts, apart from him leaving us, even if it is for a fortune, we need players who have grown into the club, and with Zohore and Harris, it seems like we have that. Absolutely, let's enjoy it!

High praise indeed! I hope you're right on all counts, apart from him leaving us, even if it is for a fortune, we need players who have grown into the club, and with Zohore and Harris, it seems like we have that. Absolutely, let's enjoy it!
    Chances are I'll be proven to be completely wrong and Jimmy won't be slow in letting me know!

However, right now I'm as happy as I have been with the club and the team since we got to the League Cup Final. It's amazing what seeing the team play with some pride does to you. In my case it's made me overly optimistic but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts as I like the feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    So is Ken going to be a £5m+ player?
    And if he does, does Slade get any credit?

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCPhil View Post
    That's an interesting question. I've always understood Zohore was placed here by Tan and the Cttee, which had Slade's input. So the answer must be Yes, even if he proved insufficient to save Slade's job at the time.

I think the number of players who have come good under Warnock, but did nothing for either Slade or Trollope, is testament to how much better a manager of players Warnock is than either of the other two.

I think the earlier thread exchange between Jimmy and TOBW comprehensively put to bed the argument about whether a manager can have much of an effect on the performance of players.

I'd give Tan (or to be more precise, whoever it is who recommends players from Northern Europe to him) more credit than Slade - Slade was probably just doing what he was told.

Couple of thoughts about Zohore in light of some of the exchanges in this thread. I've always subscribed to the theory that prolific goalscorers are born, not made - they have an instinct which takes them into the spaces close to goal where the ball is going to break. In a year of watching him, I've seen very little evidence that Zohore has that instinct.

Some players are great goalscorers and others are scorers of great goals. I feel Zohore belongs more in the latter category, you usually end up being impressed by his goals because he doesn't deal in tap ins - off the top of my head, the closest he's come to a tap in with City is his goal at Leeds which was scored from around eighteen yards out.

So, I''m not sure he'll ever be a prolific scorer and it's also interesting to note that, according to Soccerbase, he's not been booked since 2014/15 - it may be that their data from Danish football does not include cautions and sendings off, but he's certainly not been yellow carded while playing for City. Now, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but I'm sure there are many within the game (I wouldn't mind betting that Neil Warnock is one of them) who would think that was something which leaves Zohore open to criticism because it says something about his attitude.

I mention all of the above while also saying that, from the moment I saw him beating a couple of players for pace down the touchline in a Development team game, I've always thought we may just have someone who could develop into a player for us. Truth be told, I'd virtually given up on him before his introduction at half time against Wolves was instrumental in transforming that match from a potential miserable defeat to a memorable victory (certainly by the standards of that time anyway) and since then he has surprised even someone like me who was more of a supporter of his than most last season.

About two months ago, Neil Warnock said that Zohore has saved the club £1.5 million, so that's an indication of what he thought the player was worth at that time - is it too much to claim that his value now would be double that? I don't think it is - in fact, in today's market, I'd say that's a conservative estimate.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 20-02-17 at 05:25.

Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by JKB View Post
    Slade could spot a striker mind, Revell and Doyle, class.
    I am happy to admit that I didn't think that Zohore would be any good. At the start of the season he looked anything but a footballer but in comes Warnock a word in his shell like and what a transformation.

Ken has now shown progress and will be as good as Jay for us and far better than Rudi.

Chances are I'll be proven to be completely wrong and Jimmy won't be slow in letting me know!

However, right now I'm as happy as I have been with the club and the team since we got to the League Cup Final. It's amazing what seeing the team play with some pride does to you. In my case it's made me overly optimistic but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts as I like the feeling
    It has been great seeing Zohore develop. I didnt see the initial green shoots but I am firmly in the Zohore for England camp (I know,I know, he is Danish) Better all round player than Earnie , but needs to take a few more of the chances he is creating to be as good a goal scorer.
    If he continues to develop he will go for a right few quid, better than Gestede ? yep definitely. Good as Bothroyd? Could be better as he works harder and is stronger. Can he become an out and out goal scorer, yeah I think he can , the way he is going the sky is the limit.

My work here is over. Who is to be my next protege?

Slade bought us garbage, with the exception of Peltier. I doubt he knows where Denmark is on the map, despite being a PE teacher.