+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff Queen Street

Cardiff Queen Street

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...=FB-Wales-main

A reasonable article detailing the demise of the main shopping areas of 10 years ago. That with the Capitol, it's starting to look bleak for that end of town with the impending rates rise if the rates relief doesn't ease the burden.

Re: Cardiff Queen Street

I can see Queen Street gradually turning into more of a leisure street with restaurants, bars and cafes etc. I believe that the Capitol Centre is about to undergo a redevelopment to turn it into somewhere like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I can see Queen Street gradually turning into more of a leisure street with restaurants, bars and cafes etc. I believe that the Capitol Centre is about to undergo a redevelopment to turn it into somewhere like this.
    Big wide street should be full of cafes and bars you're right....

Feedback

as has been said, the Capitol has plans for redevelopment. it surely needs it. it also needs to open up a through route from the station to Queen Street. it surely is missing a footfall trick there

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    as has been said, the Capitol has plans for redevelopment. it surely needs it. it also needs to open up a through route from the station to Queen Street. it surely is missing a footfall trick there
    An open arcade like the old ones off st Mary street would do it, no one walks through it at the moment do they?

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    There kind of is in a way - you can access the cinema from the street and from inside the centre so surely wouldn't take too much to alter it a bit. I walk down Queen Street most days, and it's dying on it's arse, the capitol centre has more empty shops than open ones.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...=FB-Wales-main

A reasonable article detailing the demise of the main shopping areas of 10 years ago. That with the Capitol, it's starting to look bleak for that end of town with the impending rates rise if the rates relief doesn't ease the burden.
    They could learn a lesson from our Bristolian neighbours who have a great City with a huge number of independent outlets, why can't we slash business rates for small welsh based local businesses and allow them to florish, it could range from tea rooms, free house pubs , vinyl shops, local fashion etc ,just imagine a real Welsh Street.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    They could learn a lesson from our Bristolian neighbours who have a great City with a huge number of independent outlets, why can't we slash business rates for small welsh based local businesses and allow them to florish, it could range from tea rooms, free house pubs , vinyl shops, local fashion etc ,just imagine a real Welsh Street.
    Must be a different Bristol from the one I lived in 10 years ago, the city centre was a quite depressing part of the city, broadmead reminded me of Newport and it all seemed a bit odd, then there was park street which is a,right....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Must be a different Bristol from the one I lived in 10 years ago, the city centre was a quite depressing part of the city, broadmead reminded me of Newport and it all seemed a bit odd, then there was park street which is a,right....
    I've never liked the layout of Bristol City Centre. As you say, it reminds me of Newport with hills everywhere and doesn't seem to have a 'centre' as such. Just a myriad of different streets shooting off everywhere with main roads cutting it all up.

Give me a pedestrianised, flat, square mile like Caerdydd's any day.

Agree with the point above however, about Queen Street lowering it's rates and attracting all the farmers' shops / Welsh made produce etc. Leave the big name, high end stuff to SD2 imho. Everything has its place, although this might then affect the popular Welsh themed independent shops of the stunning arcades?

i work in town but i dont get close to queen st, walked up there for the 1st time in years and was a bit shocked

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    They could learn a lesson from our Bristolian neighbours who have a great City with a huge number of independent outlets, why can't we slash business rates for small welsh based local businesses and allow them to florish, it could range from tea rooms, free house pubs , vinyl shops, local fashion etc ,just imagine a real Welsh street.

We already got one, it's called Caroline Street.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Kebab alley?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Caroline Street is affectionately known by all Cardiffians as Chippy Lane and a rite of passage for all young men to have at least one fist fight there. It's also the scene of who can vomit the furthest competitions when Wales play home international egg fixtures.

Dorothy's Fish Bar, first established in the 12 century during the reign of Henry I, is perhaps its most famous business. Originally adjacent to a large tavern, revelers back then could sup two gallons of ale there plus enjoy a large rissole and chips next door and still get change from a single groat.