+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gunnarsson and Ralls

Gunnarsson and Ralls

I think our recent improvement in attacking play owes a lot to the influence of our dynamic midfield duo.

Gunnarsson has become the "poster boy" for Neil Warnock's Cardiff City team. His bristling intent, prowling presence, desire sheer will and determination have become a flag pole around which the whole team rally. He optimises the aggression and desire that brings success in the championship.

Ralls has had to work hard to establish himself as a first team regular. Despite criticism from fans and periods of mediocrity, he has shown great resilience. He is always compared with Whittingham because both players are primarily left footed. He has never wavered in his desire to be an influential palyer for us. He never stops trying to be progressive and influential.

Our midfield paly as had a higher tempo in the last three games. This means our two wide palyers are receiving the ball quicker. They are attacking fullbacks with space behind them, because wide midfield players have not had the opportunity to provide a second barrier. Their recent form is testimony to the opportunities our midfield are providing.

It is a tempo more prone to mistakes but it is more exciting to watch. I have never been on my feet so much, for many years, than in the last few weeks. We want to watch football that is exciting. Warnock is delivering.
    These two players are instrumental in making it happen.

Re: Gunnarsson and Ralls

Ralls has received lots of undeserved stick. He always makes himself available and is quick to move the ball. He works hard and is technically sound and also fairly strong in the tackle.
    He dictates the tempo but was finding it difficult with no runners. With 3 decent front men now he has options to use and is creating a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Ralls has received lots of undeserved stick. He always makes himself available and is quick to move the ball. He works hard and is technically sound and also fairly strong in the tackle.
    He dictates the tempo but was finding it difficult with no runners. With 3 decent front men now he has options to use and is creating a lot.
    I am delighted to see Ralls doings well and I hope he goes from strength to strength.
    But in my view he very much deserved "stick".

Generally he hasn't done enough in terms of creation and for the tackles that he successfully makes, he misses many others.
    Of course he has had his moments and some were key to us getting points.

My biggest ctriticism is that he often chases shadows. He will work hard chasing a player but not put in a tackle.
    He will stand like a statue as opposing players pass around him.

He works hard but is not as effective as his effort deserves to be.

He needs to impose himself more.

He only needs to look at Gunnarsons recent performances for inspiration.

He's a young guy and I wish him well but there are few concessions.
    Last edited by BLUEAWAY; 20-02-17 at 22:26.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I am delighted to see Ralls doings well and I hope he goes from strength to strength.
    But in my view he very much deserved "stick".

Generally he hasn't done enough in terms of creation and for the tackles that he successfully makes, he misses many others.
    Of course he has had his moments and some were key to us getting points.

My biggest ctriticism is that he often chases shadows. He will work hard chasing a player but not put in a tackle.
    He will stand like a statue as opposing players pass around him.

He works hard but is not as effective as his effort deserves to be.

He needs to impose himself more.

He only needs to look at Gunnarsons recent performances for inspiration.

He's a young guy and I wish him well but there are few concessions.
    I think you are mixing up Ralls and Whitingham!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gibson's pencil View Post
    I think you are mixing up Ralls and Whitingham!
    Every tackle that Whitts makes is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Every tackle that Whitts makes is a bonus.
    I would suggest they have miraculous powers

Whitts' tackles so often now I have coined the professional foul that produces a minor caution "The Whitts' Yellow".

Ralls did go through a period of average performances, which seems to have passed, but I think we should remember that there are very few as experienced as he at his age and at this relatively high level of football.

We have 3 cm (at least) who can do a job in this league and play in different systems depending on what we want in the match. Not so long ago we barely had one.

Gunnarsson has a great beard, Ralls doesn't. It's not on par with a Joe Ledley but nonetheless it's a great beard.
    Therefore, Gunnarsson will always have a far superior beard to Ralls. Gunnarsson wins the contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Glos Blue View Post
    Gunnarsson has a great beard, Ralls doesn't. It's not on par with a Joe Ledley but nonetheless it's a great beard.
    Therefore, Gunnarsson will always have a far superior beard to Ralls. Gunnarsson wins the contest!
    Gunnarson however needs to bite the bullet and shave his head. Ralls on the other hand had a great head of hair..

Ralls has benefitted from the absence of whitts. Maybe Ralls was relying too much on whitts but now seems to be taking more responsibility and has made a step change in performances.

A bit like united and Rooney... Magnificent player but they are better when he's not in the team ... Its as if they step up and play without considering the Rooney factor... Bit like whitts and ralls.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Ralls has benefitted from the absence of whitts. Maybe Ralls was relying too much on whitts but now seems to be taking more responsibility and has made a step change in performances.

A bit like united and Rooney... Magnificent player but they are better when he's not in the team ... Its as if they step up and play without considering the Rooney factor... Bit like whitts and ralls.
    You may be right. Whitts not playing maybe the difference.
    I would be very sorry to see Whitts depart City but is it a coincidence that some of our best results have come without him.

Whitts legs are going, he requires others to do his running and covering. If were playing two wingers he is a luxury we can no longer accommodate, especially away from home.

Hope you're all happy now.

Gunnarsson's shaving his beard off at 1530 TODAY!!