+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Can we have our money back

Re: Can we have our money back

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    The infamous "Ronald Fiddler" or Jamal Udeen al-Harith has he liked to be called - just happened to be caught whilst on holiday in Afghanistan - he was caught by US special forces and he went to Guantanamo Bay.

Tony Blair decides to lobby for his release in 2004 and he was let go - the then Labour Govt decides to settle his 1 million pound compensation claim - as long as he stays silent.

Earlier this week he was killed when he detonated his suicide belt whilst (probably on another holiday) fighting for ISIS in Mosul.

Well done Tony - I guess this is what you mean when you ask people to 'rise up' - I wonder though if we can get some of our 1 million back
    Made quite a loud bang I'd imagine.

He probably spent most of it on weapons and bomb making equipment.

Nice one Tone!

The infamous "Ronald Fiddler" or Jamal Udeen al-Harith has he liked to be called - just happened to be caught whilst on holiday in Afghanistan - he was caught by US special forces and he went to Guantanamo Bay.

Tony Blair decides to lobby for his release in 2004 and he was let go - the then Labour Govt decides to settle his 1 million pound compensation claim - as long as he stays silent.

Earlier this week he was killed when he detonated his suicide belt whilst (probably on another holiday) fighting for ISIS in Mosul.

Well done Tony - I guess this is what you mean when you ask people to 'rise up' - I wonder though if we can get some of our 1 million back

Your version of his original arrest and incarceration in Guantanamo is a bit different from this one:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...errorism-chief

Fiddler was taken to Guantánamo after being found in a prison in Afghanistan early in 2002, where he had been placed after being intercepted by the Taliban, who believed him to be a British spy. According to his sister, Maxine Fiddler, he initially believed the Americans to be his “saviours”.

However, they imprisoned him after coming to the conclusion that he had tried to join the Islamic fundamentalist group. He was finally released in 2004 after lobbying by the then home secretary David Blunkett, who said that none of the people whose release from Guantánamo he had secured “will actually be a threat to the security of the British people”.

Fiddler was reportedly awarded compensation after claiming that British agents knew he was being mistreated during the time he was held without charge at Guantánamo.

Lord Carlile, the former independent reviewer of terrorism legislation, told the Today programme he believed Fiddler was paid off to avoid disclosing sensitive national security material in court.

For once, I choose to believe The Guardian.

He was a convert to Islam in his 20s but from this report it looks as if the didn't become radicalised until he had been given the special treatment by the US military in Guantanamo - and then headed off to Syria (under the noses of security services who claim to have had him on a watch list) 10 years after coming back to the UK.
    Last edited by jon1959; 22-02-17 at 12:31.

Also this:

Tony Blair has denied that a Labour government paid compensation to the former Guantánamo Bay detainee who went on to blow himself up in Iraq, in a strongly worded statement in which he accused the Daily Mail of hypocritical coverage over the Manchester-born jihadi’s death.

The former prime minister said compensation, thought to amount to £1m, was paid out under the Conservative-led coalition government in 2010 and criticised the tabloid for blaming him and Labour instead.

“He was not paid compensation by my government,” Blair said. “The compensation was agreed in 2010 by the Conservative government.”

Blair hit out at the Daily Mail’s “utter hypocrisy”, pointing out that the newspaper led a media campaign for Harith’s release from Guantánamo Bay.

“It is correct that Jamal al-Harith was released from Guantánamo Bay at the request of the British government in 2004,” he said. “This followed a massive media and parliamentary campaign, led by the Daily Mail, the very paper that is now supposedly so outraged at his release, and strongly supported by the then Conservative opposition.”

This is another of those landmark occasions when I am 100% certain that Blair is telling the truth - and The Mail is up to its usual slimy tricks.

Oh dear

Lets rewind if criminal activity took place and was proven , what else are the authorities ( not Blair ) to do , not pay and wait for the liberal left brigade and press to rise up.

I recall many calling for Guantanamo Bay closure including Obama , and up to this point damming Trump for keeping it open .

You can't win in this world, no point being nice .

Don't do the usual blame Blair circus , that and easy out , blame the individual , the interviews who decided his innocence, the law court that gave him his compensation . and the pathetic authorities who took their eyes off him since , none of these responsibilities are Blairs .

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Also this:

Tony Blair has denied that a Labour government paid compensation to the former Guantánamo Bay detainee who went on to blow himself up in Iraq, in a strongly worded statement in which he accused the Daily Mail of hypocritical coverage over the Manchester-born jihadi’s death.

The former prime minister said compensation, thought to amount to £1m, was paid out under the Conservative-led coalition government in 2010 and criticised the tabloid for blaming him and Labour instead.

“He was not paid compensation by my government,” Blair said. “The compensation was agreed in 2010 by the Conservative government.”

Blair hit out at the Daily Mail’s “utter hypocrisy”, pointing out that the newspaper led a media campaign for Harith’s release from Guantánamo Bay.

“It is correct that Jamal al-Harith was released from Guantánamo Bay at the request of the British government in 2004,” he said. “This followed a massive media and parliamentary campaign, led by the Daily Mail, the very paper that is now supposedly so outraged at his release, and strongly supported by the then Conservative opposition.”

This is another of those landmark occasions when I am 100% certain that Blair is telling the truth - and The Mail is up to its usual slimy tricks.
    Not fake news ,but Blair real news , he is on the comeback trail, he will save ,and rescue labour , have em back in power , watch Lazarus rise form the ashes with a thunderous roar.

Perhaps should be adking Cameron about geting the money back as it was the Tory coalition and not the Labour Government thst paid tbe compensation. The Daily Mail were also actively campaigning for his release from Guantanamo Bay as well

See above point - I blame the people who started all this sorry mess and certainly the person in No10 that wanted him released, if none that had happened we wouldnt be in the sorry mess we are in now. If you want to defend the prime minister that lied to you re the WMD etc - you crack on.

I am also not concerned about nor did I post about the daily mail. I read various news stories today that was reporting on - didnt know it was the Daily Mail until about 5 minutes ago. I read the bbc news and watched the daily politics show http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...itics-22022017 - it was on before PMQs
    I was against the Iraq War and never understood the need for Blajr to rush to war with Bush. However you are making quantum leaps here in concluding that Blair is responsible for this compensation. Cameron and his coalition should take responsibility for their own decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I was against the Iraq War and never understood the need for Blajr to rush to war with Bush. However you are making quantum leaps here in concluding that Blair is responsible for this compensation. Cameron and his coalition should take responsibility for their own decisions.
    Physically impossible for him to blame the conservatives for anything, his brain won't let his fingers type it.

You quote B!unkett but don't quote the Tory MP's pressing for his release. Talk about one eyed. If the Tory coalition were concerned about his motives they could have witheld compensation but chose to pay him off handsomely.
    Thats their decision irrespective of previous events.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Perhaps should be adking Cameron about geting the money back as it was the Tory coalition and not the Labour Government thst paid tbe compensation. The Daily Mail were also actively campaigning for his release from Guantanamo Bay as well
    Nah it all Blair' s fault, even the City going down from the Premiership. Everybody was asking for it to be closed , every the Blair critics

There is a possibility that in 5 years time someone stops posting on this board and it transpires that they have been arrested for a horrible crime. They do not deserve to be tortured now (or ever) because of what they'll do in 5 years time.

She wouldnt have been able to stop the payment without then having to go to court and in public reveal security information - which obviously will never happen. The Govt will never talk about individual cases in public (or in court) about security matters - would you expect different ?

MY POINT being that now there is the security and justice act 2013 - cases like this will never happen again. It took a Tory / Lib Dem coalition Govt to do this - whereas the Blair / Brown somehow never managed to. As said on the Daily Politics show with Andrew Neil- future cases are heard in private.
    Why did the Tories not bring in such an Act when Thatcher was in power then? Terrorism was alive and kicking back then as well. Still feel free to blame Blair.

NO THEY COULD NOT. THE LAW AS IT STOOD THEN MEANT THAT DETAILED SECURITY INFORMATION WOULD HAVE TO BE RELEASED IN COURT - THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPENED. WHICH IS WHY THE GOVT HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO OFFER THE MONEY. DURING THE ALL OF THE BLAIR / BROWN YEARS THEY NEVER THOUGHT OF INTRODUCING A LAW TO STOP IT. BUT - SINCE THE SECURITY AND JUSTICE ACT OF 2013 WAS BOUGHT INTO LAW - 3 YEARS AFTER THE COALITION CAME INTO GOVT. WHICH MEANS THAT ANY FUTURE COURT CASE BOUGHT BY ex TERRORISTS CAN BE HEARD IN PRIVATE AND AS SUCH NEGATES THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN AGAIN.

IF YOU HAD WATCHED THE DAILY POLITICS SHOW - YOU WOULD HAVE HEARD A REASONED DISCUSSION ABOUT IT - FROM MPs ON BOTH SIDES.

PS - I ALSO QUOTED Shami Chakrabarti, (then head of Liberty and politically neutral) said she was “delighted” that al-Harith and the four other detainees were being released.

“We are delighted that the five have been released, but let us not forget those that are remaining. Nor should we forget that Britain has its very own Guantanamo Bay at Belmarsh Prison, in south-east London, where 14 men have been held for up to two years without charge, or prospect of trial, on suspicion of being associated with terrorism. At long last the Americans have done the honourable thing and released their detainees.”
    Bet we wont get another quote of Shami Chakrabarti, (then head of Liberty and politically neutral) said she was “delighted” that al-Harith and the four other detainees were being released. , who go her into the Lords, that one past me by ?????

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bet we wont get another quote of Shami Chakrabarti, (then head of Liberty and politically neutral) said she was “delighted” that al-Harith and the four other detainees were being released. , who go her into the Lords, that one past me by ?????
    Will you try that again in English. I have no idea what you're saying.

Ninianclark are you a member of team GB because this is some of the best mental gymnastics I've ever seen.

People being so desperate to blame one party and not say a bad word against their "team" is everything that's wrong with politics.