+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Sutton Reserve keeper nonsense

Re: The Sutton Reserve keeper nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Sorry but what kind of twat bets on someone eating a pie? If a bookie loses money from putting up a stupid market then so be it.

Was there even a 'no' side available?

So much dodgy shit goes on in football and THIS is what we go after? Some nobody from Sutton?
    Sun bet will be loving this. They've managed to get national attention worth millions, all for paying out a few grand and who cares who gets hurt in the process. Utter Scum.

Yes, the big man was a bit daft here in allowing himself to be made to look a fool, but it's not like he deliberately let a goal in, or in any way influenced the match.

I wouldn't seek to restrict people's ability to bet on what they want, but surely there has to be some regulation about what official bookies are allowed to take bets on? In my view, betting is all about chance, luck of the draw, sure, a sensible person would've bet on Arsenal winning, that's based on form, league position and the opinion of the better, but Sutton COULD have fluked a win - that shot hits the bar and goes over, or it goes in.

You bet on a bloke eating a pie or not, and it's not chance. He either decides to eat one or he doesn't, there's no "ooh no, he's dropped it".

As others have alluded to, there's more to worry about in this game than some fat bloke eating a pie in the dugout. Years ago he might've had a fag on the go at the same time.

What next? A bet that Neil Warnock does the ayatollah in the 85th minute?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Insider trading relates to stock market trading whereby you have gained an advantage via having access to confidential price sensitive information.
    I said "effectively" insider trading.

Sorry but what kind of twat bets on someone eating a pie? If a bookie loses money from putting up a stupid market then so be it.

Was there even a 'no' side available?

So much dodgy shit goes on in football and THIS is what we go after? Some nobody from Sutton?
    The sort of twat who was going to get odds of eight to one on it and knew it was going to happen because the "nobody from Sutton" told them it was. I accept there is far worse that is probably going on in the game, but once it came to light the authorities had to act.

Feels a bit like the horse has bolted on this. Surely there's some kind of betting regulatory authority that's supposed to be keeping an eye on these things before they happen?

It feels like the fat guy is being hung out to dry, but the Sun betting firm needs to get some sort of punishment for it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I said "effectively" insider trading.
    Effectively or not this has absolutely nothing to do with insider trading. This was little more than a stunt set up by Sun Bet as they knew that they would gain significant publicity on the cheap. Wayne Shaw was very naive in getting involved but Sun Bet were pulling the strings. The only person to lose anything here was Wayne Shaw as he lost his job. On the flip side i'm pretty sure that Sun Bet's marketing manager has been basking in the glory ever since this happened.

The sort of twat who was going to get odds of eight to one on it and knew it was going to happen because the "nobody from Sutton" told them it was. I accept there is far worse that is probably going on in the game, but once it came to light the authorities had to act.
    If by the authorities you mean the police then I agree they can have a look but this market and action has nothing to do with football and therefore nothing to do with the FA in my opinion.

I would be interested to see what players sign about betting because I doubt it legally covers markets like this. If there was no option to bet 'no', as there usually isn't for this novelty shite then no one lost money but the bookies and they had written it off in advance for publicity.

Bookies offering nonsense markets like this should have their license looked at as it makes a murky business even murkier.

This government has made a right mess of the betting industry. Through their apparent concern for the public they have made it even more of crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    YES
    The papers say they claim to have paid out a five figure sum in total. So that might be 880.82p
    They said a five figure sum, not in total.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Good article but I think he resigned and wasn't sacked

Effectively or not this has absolutely nothing to do with insider trading. This was little more than a stunt set up by Sun Bet as they knew that they would gain significant publicity on the cheap. Wayne Shaw was very naive in getting involved but Sun Bet were pulling the strings. The only person to lose anything here was Wayne Shaw as he lost his job. On the flip side i'm pretty sure that Sun Bet's marketing manager has been basking in the glory ever since this happened.
    People gained by having been tipped off by someone in on the whole thing, that's what happens with insider trading - the concept is the same. I don't deny that the whole episode is pretty squalid and says something about the type of country we have become, but Wayne Shaw is not the naive simpleton he's being made out to be - he happily played his part in the whole episode, so he's not an innocent in all of this even if talk of a two year jail sentence is ludicrous overkill.

Here is a football betting fact.
    The spread betting leaders IGIndex. Had a market on time of the first throw in.
    I think it was West Ham. (I may be wrong) kicked off and deliberately kicked the ball into touch. ( that's out of play) God I'm old.
    They stoped that market dead.

Two other markets that make the spread firms a fortune that should be stopped. Now.

Bookings

Corners.

I won't explain why. But I know why.

Three betting markets that the FA should outlaw.

Bookings

Corners.

Pie eating.

They are hell bent on banning the pie eating market.

Total wankers.

This because one player alone. Or a non playing substitute can without any repercussions influence the market.

Unless you eat a pie at the only game in the history of football at which a market was available on pie eating on camera.

Twats
    Last edited by AlwaysAway2; 23-02-17 at 17:47. Reason: Obvious

People gained by having been tipped off by someone in on the whole thing, that's what happens with insider trading - the concept is the same. I don't deny that the whole episode is pretty squalid and says something about the type of country we have become, but Wayne Shaw is not the naive simpleton he's being made out to be - he happily played his part in the whole episode, so he's not an innocent in all of this even if talk of a two year jail sentence is ludicrous overkill.

So what is Wayne Shaw guilty of then Bob & who did he harm in the process?

In my mind people may have gained financially but at the expense of Sun Bet who quite clearly set this all up as a publicity stunt so I really don't have a problem with Wayne Shaw. All he did was eat a pie & a few people made up to £40 each........no-one got hurt & the outcome of the game was not impacted in any way. I really think that there has been a massive overreaction here but in my view that is a symptom of the society we currently live in where faux outrage seems to be very fashionable.

Feedback

Strictly speaking insider trading is using information not publicly available to manipulate a trade position. In that respect if pieman has informed his mates to open a position (place a bet) which he can then influence that is insider trading. He knows he will eat or not eat.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    Strictly speaking insider trading is using information not publicly available to manipulate a trade position. In that respect if pieman has informed his mates to open a position (place a bet) which he can then influence that is insider trading. He knows he will eat or not eat.
    That sounds like a lot of responsibility lumped on someone who hasn't been asked whether they mind

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    The actual definition of insider trading is along the lines of the buying or selling of stock or securities with the benefit of non public information which resulted in an unfair advantage re the price received or paid. If you can direct me to where it states that insider trading includes novelty bets then I will stand corrected. In my mind what Wayne Shaw did was more akin to spot fixing than insider trading, although as highlighted above it is an incredibly unique case in that Sun Bet appear to have gained the most from this.

Does that sentence not make you see how stupid this all is?
    Although the 'Eating A Pastry Based Product Live On TV Act' of 1572 seems a little archaic nowadays, surely everyone had heard of it?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    You really are missing the point.

If he didn't eat a pie he influenced the market. Common sense dictates he was damned if he ate one and damned if he didn't.
    The Sun have got their publicity.

They will be offering 20/1 against Manure winning in the Liverpool environs soon to attract business.

In fact the BBC were clearly in on the act. The FA should be removing FA cup coverage rights from them now. Oh hang on that would cost the FA money.
    Yeah like keepers regularly eat pies while on the bench .. Making his decision to eat a pie coincidental.

Like the BBC camera persons see lots of football sub's eating pies.