+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Sutton Reserve keeper nonsense

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Sutton Reserve keeper nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    This was set up by Sun Bets so can hardly be described as insider trading. They offered relatively low odds & limited the amount that anyone could bet so in my mind knew exactly what was going to happen. They say that they paid out a 5 figure sum, a small outlay when you consider how much publicity they have gained, both on prime time television & the subsequent press coverage. Shaw was naive for getting sucked into this but in my view has been treated very harshly.
    He admitted himself that he told friends to get money on a certain event happening and they'd be quids in - isn't that what insider trading is?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He admitted himself that he told friends to get money on a certain event happening and they'd be quids in - isn't that what insider trading is?
    Insider trading relates to stock market trading whereby you have gained an advantage via having access to confidential price sensitive information.

Insider trading relates to stock market trading whereby you have gained an advantage via having access to confidential price sensitive information.
    I said "effectively" insider trading.

I said "effectively" insider trading.
    Effectively or not this has absolutely nothing to do with insider trading. This was little more than a stunt set up by Sun Bet as they knew that they would gain significant publicity on the cheap. Wayne Shaw was very naive in getting involved but Sun Bet were pulling the strings. The only person to lose anything here was Wayne Shaw as he lost his job. On the flip side i'm pretty sure that Sun Bet's marketing manager has been basking in the glory ever since this happened.

Effectively or not this has absolutely nothing to do with insider trading. This was little more than a stunt set up by Sun Bet as they knew that they would gain significant publicity on the cheap. Wayne Shaw was very naive in getting involved but Sun Bet were pulling the strings. The only person to lose anything here was Wayne Shaw as he lost his job. On the flip side i'm pretty sure that Sun Bet's marketing manager has been basking in the glory ever since this happened.
    People gained by having been tipped off by someone in on the whole thing, that's what happens with insider trading - the concept is the same. I don't deny that the whole episode is pretty squalid and says something about the type of country we have become, but Wayne Shaw is not the naive simpleton he's being made out to be - he happily played his part in the whole episode, so he's not an innocent in all of this even if talk of a two year jail sentence is ludicrous overkill.

People gained by having been tipped off by someone in on the whole thing, that's what happens with insider trading - the concept is the same. I don't deny that the whole episode is pretty squalid and says something about the type of country we have become, but Wayne Shaw is not the naive simpleton he's being made out to be - he happily played his part in the whole episode, so he's not an innocent in all of this even if talk of a two year jail sentence is ludicrous overkill.

So what is Wayne Shaw guilty of then Bob & who did he harm in the process?

In my mind people may have gained financially but at the expense of Sun Bet who quite clearly set this all up as a publicity stunt so I really don't have a problem with Wayne Shaw. All he did was eat a pie & a few people made up to £40 each........no-one got hurt & the outcome of the game was not impacted in any way. I really think that there has been a massive overreaction here but in my view that is a symptom of the society we currently live in where faux outrage seems to be very fashionable.