+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adam Matthews

Re: Adam Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Fair play - he's right though.
    Winning the 100m on chicken nuggets sort of right? It's not like he's smoking in the showers either, drinking coke is far from the worst health move a professional sportsperson has made. He probably tried to show that he was taking his career seriously and it backfired because he came across as slightly unintelligent.

There are millions of young footballers who don't make it. I hope Adam is young enough to turn things around and make good on his promise.

Didn't he head an own goal whilst playing for us,DJ wasn't impressed

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    There's a female netball player that won't disagree I'm sure.
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I was trying to remember what DJ actually said after the Ipswich own goal. Here it is;

Jones said: "When you come to the end of your career it's something you'll be remembered for. What's in his head? I haven't got a clue."
    The Bluebirds boss now wants the youngster to show some character and bounce back from what he also described as a 'moment of madness' while admitting the highly-rated defender was not the only player at fault in the build-up to the goal.

Jones said: "Don't load the gun and fire it for me; I can fire it myself. But some of them fired their own gun and that's not what we're about.

"He [Matthews] had a great opportunity and if he doesn't show a lot of character it'll be a long time before he gets it again."

"I haven't got time to mollycoddle people. It's a man's world now and it's a tough old world and you've got to pick yourself up.
    "It's easy to blame the youngster for the goal. Yeah, he's given it away, but we lost it in midfield, we allowed pressure to come on to us, we made some silly decisions and there was a build-up to that.
    "But you can't legislate for where Adam's headed it and I've done that myself in my career and it's about how you bounce back.
    "And he's got to bounce back quick otherwise he'll find himself dumped in the reserves and not playing football.
    "He had a great opportunity and if he doesn't show a lot of character it'll be a long time before he gets it again.
    "And I want to see him come in Monday morning and have a brightness about him and be ready because it's gone.
    "You can't do anything about it except learn from it and get stronger and we'll work on that. We know we've got a talent, but there's other parts of the game as well.
    "But he's got to be stronger and better than that and the second goal as well, he's been shoved off it too easy and it's welcome to the real world.
    "But he's got a talent and he's got to start showing that and these are the games that you're thrown into and you've got to be 'I want to keep that shirt' and there weren't too many out there in the second-half that said to me 'okay, we've got players coming back, we're going to do it right'.

Jones was (is?!) a sour old fecker ;)

If the hapless Brizzle think Matthews is poor, he's probably/undoubtedly very decent.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Funny, but I cannot remember anyone saying Dave Jones was right to slag Matthews off after his own goal at Ipswich at the time - quite the opposite in fact. Matthews struggled at times after that though in the time he had left with us and his career has gone into a decline since he left Celtic - maybe he does have "attitude problems" now, but there was no hint of that which I'm aware of while he was at City.

So, Matthews' career has not gone too well since our manager gave him a public bollocking as a teenager for scoring an own goal, when prior to that, he was being hailed as one of Wales' best prospects following a series of very good performances when he broke into the City side at seventeen and yet now we have some on here saying that Matthews' subsequent struggles are proof that Dave Jones was right to do what he did - that seems really bizarre to me!

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a teenage footballer who has prospered as a result of his manager going out of his way to criticise him in public - I daresay it's happened to a few, but far, far more would react badly to such a thing - it was terrible man management by Dave Jones during that final season with us when, in my opinion, he undid some of the good things he had done during the previous five years.
    I think the criticism of the OG was wrong but if I remember DJ dug him out a few times for other things, as Lee Johnson has for his diet and addiction to fizzy drinks. Maybe this was an issue at Cardiff and they couldn't shake it either? He's fat now (for a professional footballer, a lot of us would like to be as "unfit" as him), and he has missed training sessions at Bristol City. Something's up with him, it might be down to Lee Johnson but it still doesn't reflect well on him for me.

Latest photos, he does not look fat to me

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ad...w=1920&bih=919

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I was trying to remember what DJ actually said after the Ipswich own goal. Here it is;

Jones said: "When you come to the end of your career it's something you'll be remembered for. What's in his head? I haven't got a clue."
    The Bluebirds boss now wants the youngster to show some character and bounce back from what he also described as a 'moment of madness' while admitting the highly-rated defender was not the only player at fault in the build-up to the goal.

Jones said: "Don't load the gun and fire it for me; I can fire it myself. But some of them fired their own gun and that's not what we're about.

"He [Matthews] had a great opportunity and if he doesn't show a lot of character it'll be a long time before he gets it again."

"I haven't got time to mollycoddle people. It's a man's world now and it's a tough old world and you've got to pick yourself up.
    "It's easy to blame the youngster for the goal. Yeah, he's given it away, but we lost it in midfield, we allowed pressure to come on to us, we made some silly decisions and there was a build-up to that.
    "But you can't legislate for where Adam's headed it and I've done that myself in my career and it's about how you bounce back.
    "And he's got to bounce back quick otherwise he'll find himself dumped in the reserves and not playing football.
    "He had a great opportunity and if he doesn't show a lot of character it'll be a long time before he gets it again.
    "And I want to see him come in Monday morning and have a brightness about him and be ready because it's gone.
    "You can't do anything about it except learn from it and get stronger and we'll work on that. We know we've got a talent, but there's other parts of the game as well.
    "But he's got to be stronger and better than that and the second goal as well, he's been shoved off it too easy and it's welcome to the real world.
    "But he's got a talent and he's got to start showing that and these are the games that you're thrown into and you've got to be 'I want to keep that shirt' and there weren't too many out there in the second-half that said to me 'okay, we've got players coming back, we're going to do it right'.
    That isn't as bad as I remembered.

He talks about Matthews needing to prove his character after this setback, but I guess he never did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

He talks about Matthews needing to prove his character after this setback, but I guess he never did.
    It doesn't look that bad at all reading it back, it certainly could have been a lot worse. I had a lot worse said about me in my teens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Everyone always over reacted to things DJ said because he wasn't an arse licker to the usual suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Latest photos, he does not look fat to me

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ad...w=1920&bih=919
    He's hardly looking slim, he's podgy. I didn't say he was morbidly obese but he's not as trim as a Championship fullback should be.

Also, Johnson has repeatedly dug him out for being fat. Regardless whether he's a good manager or not, it isn't a glowing endorsement of Matthews.

fat matthews.jpg
    Last edited by Pedro de la Rosa; 24-02-17 at 13:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's hardly looking slim, he's podgy. I didn't say he was morbidly obese but he's not as trim as a Championship fullback should be.

Also, Johnson has repeatedly dug him out for being fat. Regardless whether he's a good manager or not, it isn't a glowing endorsement of Matthews.

fat matthews.jpg
    Wide angled lens

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Everyone always over reacted to things DJ said because he wasn't an arse licker to the usual suspects.
    It's easy to forget now how vocal the jones-out brigade used to be.
    Seems bizarre now. It was a simpler time.

He got out jumped by Nathan dyer for a header. Enough said for me.