+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam Matthews

Adam Matthews

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/top...adam-matthews/

I'm not condoning Dave Jones' handling of a then, young Matthews (18?), however, perhaps he saw something in the player's character even way back then that was not good?

Re: Adam Matthews

Looks like he's a firm favourite at Aston Gate. All credit to the lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Looks like he's a firm favourite at Aston Gate. All credit to the lad.
    I say First name on the weekly team sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

I'm not condoning Dave Jones' handling of a then, young Matthews (18?), however, perhaps he saw something in the player's character even way back then that was not good?
    Definitely. In don't think he would have sounded out a player without reason.

Agent Matthews.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Agent Matthews.

Doing a fine job, hope he keeps it up

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He wasn't out of shape etc then though, maybe him sticking at Cardiff instead of going to Celtic would have made him a better player? He's been overtaken by Jazz Richards for Wales too, which would have been unthinkable when he left City.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He wasn't out of shape etc then though, maybe him sticking at Cardiff instead of going to Celtic would have made him a better player? He's been overtaken by Jazz Richards for Wales too, which would have been unthinkable when he left City.
    I think all those fried mars bars finally got to him

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I spoke to Matthews a little while after he left City & he told me that Dave Jones said that he wasn't wanted so he had no choice other than to leave. Maybe leaving Celtic was a mistake as I remember him being quoted in the press at the time as saying that he needed to play a higher standard of football to further his international ambitions - that has certainly backfired as he has gone backwards rather than improve his chances.

Matthews has the ability & as far as I can recall has never had a reputation as problematic so not quite sure what is happening with him across the bridge (it might be down to Lee Johnson as most of his players appear to have given up on him). I would be happy to see Matthews back here as I am pretty sure that whatever the issues are (if any) Warnock would sort them out in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

This post from Newquay Red, did make laugh out aloud

I well and truly despise this lazy, fat, uninterested piece of ****

I remember reading an interview where he said LJ helped him with his diet and he no longer drinks Coca Cola or something stupid like that. How can you be a grown man, a professional athlete who is PAID TO PLAY A SPORT and not know that? He is what is wrong with the game on so many levels, and I hope after this loan ends he slides down the pyramid where he belongs. You know something is wrong with the world when a man like Adam Matthews can be financially successful. What a waste of skin and organs, and I agree if he ever comes back to AG he will be booed with each touch until he comes off in the 60th when he has pulled his hamstring or wants KFC or it's way past his bedtime or something.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I think he was trying to give him a boot up the arse but it didn't have the intended effect.
    After a bright start Matthews had started to get targeted by opposition teams and something needed to be done

Wasn't he the one supplying information to ThE FAnS LEadEr for the weekly UPdATeS?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    This post from Newquay Red, did make laugh out aloud

I well and truly despise this lazy, fat, uninterested piece of ****

I remember reading an interview where he said LJ helped him with his diet and he no longer drinks Coca Cola or something stupid like that. How can you be a grown man, a professional athlete who is PAID TO PLAY A SPORT and not know that? He is what is wrong with the game on so many levels, and I hope after this loan ends he slides down the pyramid where he belongs. You know something is wrong with the world when a man like Adam Matthews can be financially successful. What a waste of skin and organs, and I agree if he ever comes back to AG he will be booed with each touch until he comes off in the 60th when he has pulled his hamstring or wants KFC or it's way past his bedtime or something.

Fair play - he's right though.

The Adam Matthews scenario is one of the few faults I can lay at Jones' door

He was 19 when he was driven out by Jones and had been Apprentice of the Year. A manager shouldn't get rid of a young player for "attitude problems" (Which I can't remember existing), especially one with so much potential, a good manager should be able to help them through the problems

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The Adam Matthews scenario is one of the few faults I can lay at Jones' door

He was 19 when he was driven out by Jones and had been Apprentice of the Year. A manager shouldn't get rid of a young player for "attitude problems" (Which I can't remember existing), especially one with so much potential, a good manager should be able to help them through the problems
    The major issue is that at the time Jones simply could not pick Matthews in the team he was a liability, he wasn't better than McNaughton, and the games he was playing in he was costing the side goals.

In this situation, and within contract negotiations, the player wanting first team football, the player had to leave, mainly for the benefit of his development, he would have had McNaughton blocking his way for many a year.

That being said, the player hasn't developed, he played OK at Celtic, however he has virtually disappeared on the Wales scene, and now doesn't seem to fit in a poor Bristol side. At this moment in time you can hardly label it as a mistake by Jones.

The attached articles contain a lot of praise about his attitude on & off the pitch:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/8567821.stm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...-award-1929501

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    The attached articles contain a lot of praise about his attitude on & off the pitch:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/8567821.stm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...-award-1929501
    A lot can change in nearly 7 years.

I remember reading an article about manager styles and age of players.
    It said that younger players in general need a more authoritarian manager, while older players (in general) flourish when given more personal responsibility.
    I think that probably applies in many areas in life.
    We know from other reports that Jones was not much of a disciplinarian. He got the best out of players like Bothroyd and koumas by giving them a degree of freedom.
    I think he recognised that Matthews was struggling with this approach and attempted to react but when you're one way with the rest of the team but harsh on one guy it comes across as victimisation

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    The major issue is that at the time Jones simply could not pick Matthews in the team he was a liability, he wasn't better than McNaughton, and the games he was playing in he was costing the side goals.

In this situation, and within contract negotiations, the player wanting first team football, the player had to leave, mainly for the benefit of his development, he would have had McNaughton blocking his way for many a year.

That being said, the player hasn't developed, he played OK at Celtic, however he has virtually disappeared on the Wales scene, and now doesn't seem to fit in a poor Bristol side. At this moment in time you can hardly label it as a mistake by Jones.
    Matthews left after the 2010/11 season. In the 11/12 season McNaughton played 42 games, the season after that 26, then 3, then 0. Hardly blocked for many a year

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Matthews left after the 2010/11 season. In the 11/12 season McNaughton played 42 games, the season after that 26, then 3, then 0. Hardly blocked for many a year
    Dave Jones started Matthew in 26 league games, since he returned to English football in 2015, he has only started 20. Dave Jones clearly gave him a chance, he didn't do enough to take it, he isn't doing enough at the moment to impress in a poor Bristol side.

Sometimes the player has to take responsibility.

Funny, but I cannot remember anyone saying Dave Jones was right to slag Matthews off after his own goal at Ipswich at the time - quite the opposite in fact. Matthews struggled at times after that though in the time he had left with us and his career has gone into a decline since he left Celtic - maybe he does have "attitude problems" now, but there was no hint of that which I'm aware of while he was at City.

So, Matthews' career has not gone too well since our manager gave him a public bollocking as a teenager for scoring an own goal, when prior to that, he was being hailed as one of Wales' best prospects following a series of very good performances when he broke into the City side at seventeen and yet now we have some on here saying that Matthews' subsequent struggles are proof that Dave Jones was right to do what he did - that seems really bizarre to me!

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a teenage footballer who has prospered as a result of his manager going out of his way to criticise him in public - I daresay it's happened to a few, but far, far more would react badly to such a thing - it was terrible man management by Dave Jones during that final season with us when, in my opinion, he undid some of the good things he had done during the previous five years.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Funny, but I cannot remember anyone saying Dave Jones was right to slag Matthews off after his own goal at Ipswich at the time - quite the opposite in fact. Matthews struggled at times after that though in the time he had left with us and his career has gone into a decline since he left Celtic - maybe he does have "attitude problems" now, but there was no hint of that which I'm aware of while he was at City.

So, Matthews' career has not gone too well since our manager gave him a public bollocking as a teenager for scoring an own goal, when prior to that, he was being hailed as one of Wales' best prospects following a series of very good performances when he broke into the City side at seventeen and yet now we have some on here saying that Matthews' subsequent struggles are proof that Dave Jones was right to do what he did - that seems really bizarre to me!

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a teenage footballer who has prospered as a result of his manager going out of his way to criticise him in public - I daresay it's happened to a few, but far, far more would react badly to such a thing - it was terrible man management by Dave Jones during that final season with us when, in my opinion, he undid some of the good things he had done during the previous five years.
    I think saying Jones was right, is equally as foolish as holding a black mark over the former managers head when he left.

We do not know what happened in contract negotiations, we may feel like giving a young player a bollocking was wrong, however you are going to get them in football, and maybe the manager was after a reaction, maybe one the young player couldn't produce.

Sometimes perhaps we overate a local prospect, maybe these players are not as good as we think. By the time Jones was treating Matthews badly everyone knew his Cardiff career was over and it was thought it simply wasn't worth wasting more time on him.

Looking back Jones started and gave more chances to young players than any manager that came after him, he also gave more chances to players at this level than some of these managers who managed the players after him. So he was not terrible with youth.

Sounds like another Darcy in the making.

I thought he let Gunter go too early, and Ramsey, don't think he had much time for young talent, he liked his seasoned older ex premiership players on loan.

When DJ signed for us , a friend and Wolves fan said as much , about his reluctance with youth.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    I think saying Jones was right, is equally as foolish as holding a black mark over the former managers head when he left.

We do not know what happened in contract negotiations, we may feel like giving a young player a bollocking was wrong, however you are going to get them in football, and maybe the manager was after a reaction, maybe one the young player couldn't produce.

Sometimes perhaps we overate a local prospect, maybe these players are not as good as we think. By the time Jones was treating Matthews badly everyone knew his Cardiff career was over and it was thought it simply wasn't worth wasting more time on him.

Looking back Jones started and gave more chances to young players than any manager that came after him, he also gave more chances to players at this level than some of these managers who managed the players after him. So he was not terrible with youth.
    There's a female netball player that won't disagree I'm sure.