Definitely avoiding Breitbart I would advise unless you like your propaganda hate filled and racist.

With regards to the main stream media I always think it's a good starting point to get a brief summary of what's going on. I would always advise using trusted sources on top of that as all print journalism will have a slight bias or agenda at the very least.

I would be careful what "trusted sources" I use though as there is definitely a lot of "alt right" and other outright racist content out there posing as being the "Real news" it's actually not too difficult to spot but a lot of very intelligent people are being suckered in by it.

What I wouldn't do is call every bit of output the BBC, the times, the independent, the guardian etc "fake news with an obvious" then start using obvious made up rubbish by Fox News, Breitbart, info wars, Alex jones etc as a trusted sources without a hint of self awareness or irony.

Doing that would be up there with dismissing the majority of scientific research based on an obviously biased article with great authority without doing some cursory and simple research to educate oneself on what is an actually not very interesting topic as well as being hugely important.