+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: solar panels

solar panels

as anyone had them done? are they worht it? they seem to be about 4 grand to get done.

Re: solar panels

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    as anyone had them done? are they worht it? they seem to be about 4 grand to get done.
    Paid 6 and half thousand for mine on a twenty five year contract in 2012 and that investment will be more than doubled by the end of the contract with tariff payments and savings in electricity costs - I should say mind that the I got in just before the value of the Tariff payments fell quite drastically - I believe they are about half of what I'm getting now.

cheers other bob. so is that a yes or no for getting it done?

Bought in 2011
    Highest Tariff
    A great investment.

Not sure how the current numbers pan out on new purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    cheers other bob. so is that a yes or no for getting it done?
    You'd still get a better return for your money compared to letting it grow with interest in the bank and with one company announcing electricity price rises of 15 per cent recently, the option of being able to generate at least some of the electricity you use becomes more attractive for more than environmental reasons - on balance, I think it's still a good move if you want to go that way.

Doesn't it become a nightmare if you want to move house ?

I was thinking that, then again it might add value to the property

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Doesn't it become a nightmare if you want to move house ?
    Not sure about that but it does become a problem if your roof starts leaking in the area around the solar panels.
    Been down that road a few times with my customers and it's a right pain in the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gwapo View Post
    I was thinking that, then again it might add value to the property
    Reduces value of a property. It becomes a real headache if a house you are buying has solar panels. I thought it would be a plus, it was a huge negative and I withdrew from buying the house. It eventually sold for about 12% lower than the asking price where other houses were selling for their asking price or more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Not sure about that but it does become a problem if your roof starts leaking in the area around the solar panels.
    Been down that road a few times with my customers and it's a right pain in the arse.
    Yep, another reason to avoid. A shame, because I would love to go green, have solar power and charge my car from the rays of the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You'd still get a better return for your money compared to letting it grow with interest in the bank and with one company announcing electricity price rises of 15 per cent recently, the option of being able to generate at least some of the electricity you use becomes more attractive for more than environmental reasons - on balance, I think it's still a good move if you want to go that way.
    Fair points. We pay about £35 a month for electricity, mainly because electrical items now use far less electricity than they previously did. On average, we are burning 4 units a day during summer, and 8 during winter. A 15% price rise, whilst not welcome, would add about £4 to our monthly bills (assuming standing charges remain the same). £48 a year. In 25 years that's £1,200. OK, so there will be more price rises, but switching suppliers is the most effective way to lower costs.

I would love to be green, if the solar could be used to charge batteries so that the energy could be used during the night (when most people are at home) then it would make a lot more sense. For now, it seems to be more hassle than benefit.

Tesla 2 batteries are supposed to charge up to 7kw, enough to power your house but not many people have houses with roofs big enough for a 7Kw solar panel set up.......and the batteries plus inverter are knocking on £6 grand. Government now are only allowing about 4p per unit for exporting unused electricity on a diminishing quarterly tariff up until 2019. Anyone who bought and locked in to the higher FIT (13p) has done OK. Rented systems are the pain if you try to sell. I did my green bit and changed all the light bulbs to LEDs. Conclusion...domestic solar panel industry is stuffed.

thank you all for your coments. i appreciate it. i doubt i will bother now thogh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Reduces value of a property. It becomes a real headache if a house you are buying has solar panels. I thought it would be a plus, it was a huge negative and I withdrew from buying the house. It eventually sold for about 12% lower than the asking price where other houses were selling for their asking price or more.
    What was the huge negative that caused you to withdraw from buying the house? Leaky roof? Rented panels rather than owned? Other?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    What was the huge negative that caused you to withdraw from buying the house? Leaky roof? Rented panels rather than owned? Other?
    Rented panels - he claimed they were MCS registered, but we saw no proof.

The system was a few years old, and I wasn't sure how long it would be good for.

I was struggling to get a mortgage, and was told this would limit my options even further.

I also wondered if a leaky roof would cause issues with the roofers potentially messing up the system, or roofers having to charge extra because of the panels.

The system was a few years old, and I wasn't sure how long it would be good for.

I was struggling to get a mortgage, and was told this would limit my options even further.

I also wondered if a leaky roof would cause issues with the roofers potentially messing up the system, or roofers having to charge extra because of the panels.
    I'm hearing about these solar tiles now which are much better, could have sold my roof fir 25 yrs but technology is getting better and I'd rather buy them and own them to be honest. Possibly sell some back but storing it has always been the issue fir me. Need to be able to store enough to use. Surely the technology is going to get cheaper, especially when gas has had its day....

Ah, ok, I see. Yes, the rented panels are the killer. I wouldn't touch them with the proverbial bargepole. It's a shame, I guess a lot of people have fallen for this without thinking of the pitfalls down the line. I wouldn't worry too much about the roof itself - there must be hundreds of thousands of folk who have installed PV panels and I'd have thought if this was an issue then we would have heard about it by now. Obviously if the roof was dodgy to start with, then you shouldn't install solar PV unless that has been sorted out first.