+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Best game of the season so far.

Best game of the season so far.

Re: Best game of the season so far.

Very happy to admit that back in August I didn't think Zahore would score six goals all season. Well done Ken.

Only two comments: Why didn't Warnock use more than one sub?

To be the complete striker, Zohore needs to improve his heading ability in the box.

But yes, the most enjoyable game this season....so far

Bob, what value did Walsh put on Zohore ?

I'd say £5m would be the absolute minimum for him and it's growing weekly.

I watched 60 minutes of £12m Jordan Rhodes earlier and the comparison is extremely favourable towards Big Ken.
    Mind you Winnall wasn't playing for Wednesday and he's quality, yet cost only a fraction of that- doesn't make sense really.

If he continues like this we'll be seeing a LOT of interest come June 1st and Warnock will have a big decision to make.

Fulham were a joy to watch Bob. I have always rated Cairney and I'm surprised his career hasn't pushed on beyond the championship.

I think Cardiff are a joy to watch too at the moment. I can't remember the last time I've been so happy watching our team.

Under Malky we were "functional" and it worked, but now i believe we have the right blend that we've often discussed between winning mentality and entertainment.

I think the problem with Malky's style of play is that it didn't allow us any flexibility when we got promoted and we therefore became too predictable.

To an extent you know what you're going to get under Warnock in the similar way you did under Dave Jones (two full backs who defend, two wingers who beat their men etc) but there seems to be far more resolve and winning mentality with this manager than we had under Jones.

I think Zohore is excellent Bob and though defenders are bound to become more weary of his attributes as time goes on, i still think his career will flourish now.
    People seem to be obsessed with being cautious and a few people have said to me "look at Vardy this season" but Zohore is a completely different player to Vardy in that he is far more rounded in his all round game.

I loved Warnock's press conference again yesterday in that he said he took on Jepson's advice half time.

I think the coaches should take a huge amount of credit for Zohore's transformation in the last few months. If they can work on his aerial threat and attacking the ball in the box (which i don't see any reason why they can't) then i think we'll have the complete modern day centre forward on our hands.

I see players of the Matt Smith, Phillip Hoffman, Nuhiu type of ilk carve out fairly successful careers at this level and in my opinion they are useless immobile lumps of shit. But Zohore has athleticism, pace, touch, power and vision that have made him a pleasure to watch in recent months and i can only see him propelling himself into the £10 million price category in the future.
    Last edited by thehumblegringo; 26-02-17 at 08:57.

Great read Bob. Our home attendance was less than Rotherham, given Fulham brought many more fans than they had done. Pretty awful, like you I fail to understand how regular attendees would have decided to miss the match, particularly given our excellent form. Even if we lose our next 2 aways it will be a slap in the face to Warnock and the board if we do not get 20k for our next(non egg day) match.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Bob, what value did Walsh put on Zohore ?

I'd say £5m would be the absolute minimum for him and it's growing weekly.

I watched 60 minutes of £12m Jordan Rhodes earlier and the comparison is extremely favourable towards Big Ken.
    Mind you Winnall wasn't playing for Wednesday and he's quality, yet cost only a fraction of that- doesn't make sense really.

If he continues like this we'll be seeing a LOT of interest come June 1st and Warnock will have a big decision to make.
    Walsh valued Zohore at £6 million, but you make a very good comparison with Jordan Rhodes who does very little except score goals - not a bad habit to have I grant you, but he's, largely stopped doing that recently. I agree with you about Winnall, who I'd choose over the current version of Rhodes any time.

It's when you see how much fairly ordinary Championship players are being sold for that you realise that we as fans tend to be conservative in our estimates of how much our players are worth - although he hasn't got too much more time left on his contract, I was surprised how low you appeared to rate Gunnarsson's potential selling price in a recent post.

Even though he's not doing much for them lately, I like Kodjia of Villa. Yes, he had the benefit of a whole season with the wurzels in which to earn his £11 million, potentially rising to £15 million, price tag, whereas Zohore has only been a regular starter for a third of that time, but I'd say that our player is physically stronger than him, as quick as him, about the same in the air as him,is now linking up play as well as Kodjia does and working for the team more than he does. Kodjia might be the better finisher, but, if his confidence continues to mount as much as it has been, I could see Zohore proving doubters like me wrong when it comes to that part of his game. If Kodjia was sold for £11 million up front and Zohore is rated in the £5 to £6 million bracket, then you're basically saying he's half the player Kodjia is and, based on the evidence of the last three months, that's just not true.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 26-02-17 at 09:57.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Walsh valued Zohore at £6 million, but you make a very good comparison with Jordan Rhodes who does very little except score goals - not a bad habit to have I grant you, but he's, largely stopped doing that recently. I agree with you about Winnall, who I'd choose over the current version of Rhodes any time.

It's when you see how much fairly ordinary Championship players are being sold for that you realise that we as fans tend to be conservative in our estimates of how much our players are worth - although he hasn't got too much more time left on his contract, I was surprised how low you appeared to rate Gunnarsson's potential selling price in a recent post.

Even though he's not doing much for them lately, I like Kodjia of Villa. Yes, he had the benefit of a whole season with the wurzels in which to earn his £11 million, potentially rising to £15 million, price tag, whereas Zohore has only been a regular starter for a third of that time, but I'd say that our player is physically stronger than him, as quick as him, about the same in the air as him,is now linking up play as well as Kodjia does and working for the team more than he does. Kodjia might be the better finisher, but, if his confidence continues to mount as much as it has been, I could see Zohore proving doubters like me wrong when it comes to that part of his game. If Kodjia was sold for £11 million up front and Zohore is rated in the £5 to £6 million bracket, then you're basically saying he's half the player Kodjia is and, based on the evidence of the last three months, that's just not true.
    Just look at the recent fees for McCormack ? All at championship level.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Fulham were a joy to watch Bob. I have always rated Cairney and I'm surprised his career hasn't pushed on beyond the championship.

I think Cardiff are a joy to watch too at the moment. I can't remember the last time I've been so happy watching our team.

Under Malky we were "functional" and it worked, but now i believe we have the right blend that we've often discussed between winning mentality and entertainment.

I think the problem with Malky's style of play is that it didn't allow us any flexibility when we got promoted and we therefore became too predictable.

To an extent you know what you're going to get under Warnock in the similar way you did under Dave Jones (two full backs who defend, two wingers who beat their men etc) but there seems to be far more resolve and winning mentality with this manager than we had under Jones.

I think Zohore is excellent Bob and though defenders are bound to become more weary of his attributes as time goes on, i still think his career will flourish now.
    People seem to be obsessed with being cautious and a few people have said to me "look at Vardy this season" but Zohore is a completely different player to Vardy in that he is far more rounded in his all round game.

I loved Warnock's press conference again yesterday in that he said he took on Jepson's advice half time.

I think the coaches should take a huge amount of credit for Zohore's transformation in the last few months. If they can work on his aerial threat and attacking the ball in the box (which i don't see any reason why they can't) then i think we'll have the complete modern day centre forward on our hands.

I see players of the Matt Smith, Phillip Hoffman, Nuhiu type of ilk carve out fairly successful careers at this level and in my opinion they are useless immobile lumps of shit. But Zohore has athleticism, pace, touch, power and vision that have made him a pleasure to watch in recent months and i can only see him propelling himself into the £10 million price category in the future.
    I'm in agreement with you Gringo when you talk about those out and out targetmen in your last paragraph - Zohore has so much more to offer than they do and having got to this stage in his career, It will be down to him if he lapses back into being the type of player he was when he first signed for us and, in that respect, I think we've got exactly the right type of managerial and coaching staff to keep him on his toes.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Great read Bob. Our home attendance was less than Rotherham, given Fulham brought many more fans than they had done. Pretty awful, like you I fail to understand how regular attendees would have decided to miss the match, particularly given our excellent form. Even if we lose our next 2 aways it will be a slap in the face to Warnock and the board if we do not get 20k for our next(non egg day) match.
    Is there a rugby game on the day of the Birmingham match (I would have known the answer to that question a few years ago - more evidence of my disinterest in the current Welsh team)? That's the game when you bring four guests along for a fiver each if you're a season ticket holder isn't it - hopefully, we could get 20,000+ that day if there's no rugby game.

Looking at Kodija's strike rate for last season, it is almost identical to what Zohore is achieving, although as you say Kodija performed over a full season. Another point to consider is their respective ages with Zohore being over 4 years younger than Kodija which should be a factor when considering their respective values. Like you I rate Kodija but I do think that Zohore is currently on a par with him & in my view, the potential to be better.

[QUOTE=the other bob wilson;4722084]Is there a rugby game on the day of the Birmingham match (I would have known the answer to that question a few years ago - more evidence of my disinterest in the current Welsh team)? That's the game when you bring four guests along for a fiver each if you're a season ticket holder isn't it - hopefully, we could get 20,000+ that day if there's no rugby game.[/QUOTE

Wales Play on the Friday night Bob

Top post , as is Pauls excellent weekly blog , your views describe well where we are now and how we got there.

I'd love to have had Warnock in charge in the Premiership, his man management and tactic skills/knowledge are far greater than most, especially Malkys narrow view.

I think we have to be a little cautious with Zohore. After all it has taken 4/5 years and several clubs for him to find his feet. Hopefully his form is permanent and he will turn out to be a £10m player, but I think we may have to wait how things go till the end of the season to make a final judgement.
    Yes, if we did then get a massive offer for him which would enable Warnock to improve the team as a whole I would not object.

[QUOTE=insider;4722086]
    Is there a rugby game on the day of the Birmingham match (I would have known the answer to that question a few years ago - more evidence of my disinterest in the current Welsh team)? That's the game when you bring four guests along for a fiver each if you're a season ticket holder isn't it - hopefully, we could get 20,000+ that day if there's no rugby game.[/QUOTE

Wales Play on the Friday night Bob
    - my rugby knowledge is pathetic these days

[QUOTE=the other bob wilson;4722097]
    Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post

- my rugby knowledge is pathetic these days
    i`m not a Rugby man I just check when they are playing to avoid it and to see if the pub will be packed if City are playing at the same time.

I think we have to be a little cautious with Zohore. After all it has taken 4/5 years and several clubs for him to find his feet. Hopefully his form is permanent and he will turn out to be a £10m player, but I think we may have to wait how things go till the end of the season to make a final judgement.
    Yes, if we did then get a massive offer for him which would enable Warnock to improve the team as a whole I would not object.

Agreed...............

[QUOTE=insider;4722104]

i`m not a Rugby man I just check when they are playing to avoid it and to see if the pub will be packed if City are playing at the same time.
    Exactly the same here. Only check to avoid pubs etc.

[QUOTE=jeremy corbyn;4722138]
    Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post

Exactly the same here. Only check to avoid pubs etc.
    Best game I've seen in years yesterday well done to warnock his staff and all the players. Fulham are a good team
    with Cairney in our side, it would have been a totally different game.

I agree Cairney stood out & pulled the strings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvaAKqhjn0E

Rhodes is a player who has done it season after season - he is basically a 1 in 2 striker outside of the premier league and has been since 2009 - that any club with financial might is going to want to buy him and any selling club is going to want to be able to justify his sale to their fans. I don't know how many times he has been sold within the last 6 months of his contract but considering that is why Winnall was so cheap and Rhodes has never been I'd suggest it's not often.

Picking up on TOBW's point, I don't think it's always a case of fans underestimating value of a player rather perhaps instead misunderstanding how elements of the transfer windows can work these days. Desperately wealthy clubs are going to overspend and desperately poor clubs are going to undersell, but if you can find yourself a middle of the road plus team attracting a desperately wealthy club then you are going to be quids in - double if that player is a striker. I don't think we aim to be one of those middle of the road teams next year but if (on the basis of Warnock forgetting his desire to have a serious challenge) you can imagine a Warnock side where Zohore carries on the form he's show recently until the end of the season and Zohore's contract not close to ending then I think we could sell him for a lot more than £6 million. Not so long ago Norwich, Villa and ourselves were teams close to the bottom of the premier league ready to spend £7-8 million on a striker who only may cut it at that level and since then Newcastle, Villa and Wednesday have pushed prices up for strikers in the championship so £8 million plus in the scenario described could be a tabled offer for Zohore.

TL;DR I really hope we keep Zohore this summer.

[QUOTE=WizardWillieAnderson;4722145]

Best game I've seen in years yesterday well done to warnock his staff and all the players. Fulham are a good team
    with Cairney in our side, it would have been a totally different game.
    Superb game yesterday with both sides contributing to a game where you couldn't take your eyes off the pitch for a minute.
    I thought we would have made some more subs and expected 1 or 2 to be introduced around the 70 minute mark

But that's just an opinion not a criticism of Neil Warnock

Great to see the fans on their feet applauding the team off at the end

In Warnock we trust!!!