+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brighton going up

Brighton going up

Quite happy to see them go up, they've had some bad times over the years.....

Re: Brighton going up

It looks like Newcastle and Brighton will hang on to the top two places.

I don't have strong feelings either way about them.

However, when it comes to the play off spots - assuming they stay the same to the end of the season as looks likely - there is only one side I want to go up - Huddersfield.

Reading have bored me rigid (sorry Pearcey) and I'm surprised they have got the points they have.

If Wednesday go up my life will be hell for a season - too many good mates are blue and whites and I wouldn't hear the end of it.

Leeds are Leeds. Monk is Monk. The footballing gods cannot allow them to go up or Merthyr will have to be quarantined.

For shame on you Jon. I now see you as a Tory!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Ouch!

Huddersfield - 9 points from 24 (1 left to play)
    Leeds - 13 from 24 (2 left to play)
    Reading - 9 from 24 (2 left to play)
    Sheffield Wednesday - 7 from 24 (2 left to play)
    Fulham - 8 from 24 (3 left to play)

Looking at the likely play-off teams against each other. I did not expect Leeds to be the best performing side head-to-head thus far as I feel (Wednesday result aside) they've been relatively poor in Yorkshire derbies and other big games.

Would love to see Newcastle bottle it and be overtaken by Huddersfield

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Would love to see Newcastle bottle it and be overtaken by Huddersfield
    I wouldn't.

We need to have the strongest teams out of the division to give us a better chance next season.

I consider Newcastle & Brighton to be stronger than any two from Sunderland, Palace, Hull, Boro, Leicester

The thing I like most about Brighton is they haven't spent a load of money and despite missing out the last few seasons have stuck with the manager and the system they had in place and it's worked for them rather than chopping and changing and hoping that would get them over the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    I wouldn't.

We need to have the strongest teams out of the division to give us a better chance next season.

I consider Newcastle & Brighton to be stronger than any two from Sunderland, Palace, Hull, Boro, Leicester
    Also if Newcastle go up it gives us more money as they won't get their parachute payment- it will be shared out between the other Championship clubs instead

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The thing I like most about Brighton is they haven't spent a load of money and despite missing out the last few seasons have stuck with the manager and the system they had in place and it's worked for them rather than chopping and changing and hoping that would get them over the line.
    Pulis at Stoke was a manager who wasn't meant to spend a lot of money but in hindsight he clearly spent more than he'd want you to believe. I can't say if Brighton are the same (I really don't know anything about them) but I don't think any Championship team comes close to the transfer activity of Wednesday, Villa and Newcastle and yet it seems that only one of those is going to be promoted while Brighton are many pundits joint certs.

Brighton are at home to Newcastle on Tuesday, should be a good game

I don't know how reliable this table is - but it shows a club that are not shopping in the bargain basement, but not throwing sily money about either - and recouping a bit through player sales:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/brig...bion-transfers

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I don't know how reliable this table is - but it shows a club that are not shopping in the bargain basement, but not throwing sily money about either - and recouping a bit through player sales:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/brig...bion-transfers
    That hasn't them with a net spend of 5million over the last 20 years doesn't it

Looks like over the last 4 years they've spent slightly more than they've received. Yet they're miles ahead of teams like Wednesday who've spent massively. Looks like they're being run perfectly.

Much more impressive than the bornemouth rise of you ask me.

Wagner has done a fantastic job and Huddersfield but ultimately I yhink yhey will finish behind the top two and miss out to Leeds in the play offs. We face a fight to stay in the top six with Fulham the major threat.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Huddersfield - 9 points from 24 (1 left to play)
    Leeds - 13 from 24 (2 left to play)
    Reading - 9 from 24 (2 left to play)
    Sheffield Wednesday - 7 from 24 (2 left to play)
    Fulham - 8 from 24 (3 left to play)

Looking at the likely play-off teams against each other. I did not expect Leeds to be the best performing side head-to-head thus far as I feel (Wednesday result aside) they've been relatively poor in Yorkshire derbies and other big games.
    Of the top seven we have played all of them away from home apart from Wednesday and lost the lot scoring one and conceding fifteen.
    We have played all of the top seven at home apart from Newcsdtle and Leeds and won three,drawn one, lost none. So its unlikely we will win the play offs should we qualify for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It looks like Newcastle and Brighton will hang on to the top two places.

I don't have strong feelings either way about them.

However, when it comes to the play off spots - assuming they stay the same to the end of the season as looks likely - there is only one side I want to go up - Huddersfield.

Reading have bored me rigid (sorry Pearcey) and I'm surprised they have got the points they have.

If Wednesday go up my life will be hell for a season - too many good mates are blue and whites and I wouldn't hear the end of it.

Leeds are Leeds. Monk is Monk. The footballing gods cannot allow them to go up or Merthyr will have to be quarantined.
    Agree 100% Jon. Although, I would not be too unhappy if Wednesday went up, as I do not like the ticket pricing and policing tactics at Hillsborough.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    I wouldn't.

Leicester will have a huge amount of wedge available from winning it and parachute payments.

They nearly went down the season before last 2014/15, finishing in 20th. Bounced back last season to reach the paly offs though.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    Also if Newcastle go up it gives us more money as they won't get their parachute payment- it will be shared out between the other Championship clubs instead
    That is good to know Keith. Come on the toon!!!
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Bit harsh mate?