+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russell Slade - What a manager

Re: Russell Slade - What a manager

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    But he got the team to 8th in the champ. What does that make the others managers in that league? And that was with the constant meddling of Choo and Delhman,
    the transfer embargo the releasing of players without even involving Slade etc etc. if reaching the position of 8th with all that going on is showing your out your depth i would take it anyday. It will be interesting to see if NW can this season eclipse what Slade acheived in the last?
    The football was truly awful, how he could continually drop Iceland's captain, a champions league finalist and Brazilian international for vastly inferior players beggars believe. The purchase of Revell was shocking, he was an appalling player.

Warnock inherited a team in complete disarray heading for league one. The turnaround has been amazing and without paying fees.

The quality of football has improved immeasurably.

But he got the team to 8th in the champ. What does that make the others managers in that league? And that was with the constant meddling of Choo and Delhman, the transfer embargo the releasing of players without even involving Slade etc etc. if reaching the position of 8th with all that going on is showing your out your depth i would take it anyday. It will be interesting to see if NW can this season eclipse what Slade acheived in the last?
    He already has, hasn't he? His record is better than Slade's since he's been here.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He already has, hasn't he? His record is better than Slade's since he's been here.
    Corresponding records (same dates last season/this season)
    Warnock... P 23, W 11, D 5, L 7, F 40, A 33, Pts 38
    Slade........P 21, W 7, D, 8, L 6, F 31, A 27, Pts 29

He came in to do a particular job and did it as well as he could.

To finish a few points short of the play offs indicates either the other teams were average or that he did well to get the best out of his limited squad.

But whatever the rights or wrongs, the football was absolutely dire at times. Not sure where the Brighton 4 result came from.

Although I'm glad he's now gone, i cant knock him for the job he done with us under the circumstances. Definitely had his hands tied after the total fukup of the previous manager

But he got the team to 8th in the champ. What does that make the others managers in that league? And that was with the constant meddling of Choo and Delhman, the transfer embargo the releasing of players without even involving Slade etc etc. if reaching the position of 8th with all that going on is showing your out your depth i would take it anyday. It will be interesting to see if NW can this season eclipse what Slade acheived in the last?
    It depends on a couple of things that you don't consider.

Was finishing 8th better than could have been expected, about on par, or was 8th arguably an underachievement for the players we have? I know which of those I'm inclined to favour.

If you're suggesting that, by finishing 8th last season, Slade was the 8th best manager in the Championship, do you also accept that he's the worst manager in League 1 as things stand, or is that not entirely his fault as he hasn't been in charge all season?

Warnock has already eclipsed what Slade has achieved. As things stand we've got a higher points per game average, win percentage and have scored more goals per game with Warnock in charge than we did with Slade. Warnock has arguably had an inferior squad to work with as well. If Cardiff City fail to finish as high as 8th you cannot possibly blame that at the feet of Warnock (in the same way that you can't blame Slade entirely for Coventry's woes) - he wasn't in charge for the first 11 matches.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Slade was a clown who robbed a living with absolutely no concern about the club or it's future. I honestly think i would have stopped going now if he was still here cos i couldn't put up with seeing or listening to him and his turgid football much longer.
    I think you're usually a bit more balanced than this. He had a shit job to do, to slash the wage bill which he did and kept us competitive. There's no doubt his time was up and he knew it. He was told he had to push for the playoffs and if we slipped away, he'd get sacked. He obviously had many flaws but he's certainly not on the OGS spectrum. He's a much better manager than OGS and Trollope who seems to have a strange interest in crisis clubs!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I think you're usually a bit more balanced than this. He had a shit job to do, to slash the wage bill which he did and kept us competitive. There's no doubt his time was up and he knew it. He was told he had to push for the playoffs and if we slipped away, he'd get sacked. He obviously had many flaws but he's certainly not on the OGS spectrum. He's a much better manager than OGS and Trollope who seems to have a strange interest in crisis clubs!
    While Solskjaer's record speaks for itself, it was interesting to note in an interview he gave back in Norway a while after his Cardiff sacking, he acknowledged he made a number of basic mistakes as manager of us, mistakes he would learn from. I wouldn't write him off as a shite manager just yet, even that's what he was with us in the end - he's intelligent enough to learn from past failures.