+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russell Slade - What a manager

Russell Slade - What a manager

Re: Russell Slade - What a manager

I get the feeling even Tandy has given up on Russ now.

I'm so happy my worst nightmare is over

But he got us to 8th playing an exciting brand of football and bought the excellent Revell, Doyle and Malone.

Quote Originally Posted by JKB View Post
    But he got us to 8th playing an exciting brand of football and bought the excellent Revell, Doyle and Malone.
    Thats true malone cost 100k revell 175k and doyle undisclosed and all prob on less than 10k a week? Now compare that to the ludicrous business carried out last aug? Bout 8 players bought in which we now dont want most on long term contract including two goalies and Ricky bought for an undisclosed fee thought to be in the region of £1m and a salary of 25k a week. Now that ireally is bad management dont you think?

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Thats true malone cost 100k revell 175k and doyle undisclosed and all prob on less than 10k a week? Now compare that to the ludicrous business carried out last aug? Bout 8
    players bought in which we now dont want most on long term contract including two goalies and Ricky bought for an undisclosed fee thought to be in the region of £1m and a salary of 25k a week. Now that ireally is bad management dont you think?
    Not as bad as the OGS scattergun approach or some of Malky's premiership buys such as Acorn, Brayford or Odemwinge but nonetheless all the above in hindsight was poor business. Each new manager wants his own choice of players and style of play.

It's a pity we didn't replace Malky with Warnock and saved ourselves years of poor quality football and a lot of money.

Can't deny, we finished 8th. Nobody knows how.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Can't deny, we finished 8th. Nobody knows how.
    Goes to show how poor a division it was. Got lucky with Immers, Watt and Lawrence. The football was dire.

Other than winding Tandy and Chepstow up I'm not really sure why Slade is so disliked on here.

Yes he was very limited as a manager but he did the job he was asked to do OK all things considered.

His time had come as we couldn't continue playing such passionless football any more without killing the club, but I don't wish ill on him as others seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Other than winding Tandy and Chepstow up I'm not really sure why Slade is so disliked on here.

Yes he was very limited as a manager but he did the job he was asked to do OK all things considered.

His time had come as we couldn't continue playing such passionless football any more without killing the club, but I don't wish ill on him as others seem to.
    I agree with you completely.

However, the temptation to take a gratuitous swipe at Slade's frequent failures now he has moved on is just too much to resist when Tandy is lurking. Wind up the WUM.

Slade was a clown who robbed a living with absolutely no concern about the club or it's future. I honestly think i would have stopped going now if he was still here cos i couldn't put up with seeing or listening to him and his turgid football much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I agree with you completely.

However, the temptation to take a gratuitous swipe at Slade's frequent failures now he has moved on is just too much to resist when Tandy is lurking. Wind up the WUM.
    I feel about the same.
    Slade gets a lot of credit for selling/trimming the team (under orders) but I can only remember Kenwyne Jones as being a regular first teamer that Slade got rid of. ?
    There were many fringe and academy players but not much else (I may stand corrected when the stats come out).

How we managed 8th position in that year is beyond me (and most fans).
    The football played was dire and the club were heading into problems well before Trollope had the misfortune to accept the role.
    If Slade would have stayed I think the season would have started pretty much the same. But that is pure conjecture as we will never know.

In my mind Cardiff lurched into crisis in the final months of Malky's tenure and never really recovered as the board made one mistake after another.
    Anyway, I think most would agree that we seem to be on the right track. Warnock will still need the summer to dispose of further "dead wood" and hopefully bring in 3-4 good players (not squad players) to help City push on next season.

Why on earth are we still having Russell Slade threads?

Whatever your views on him he is yesterday's man, we are already on our second manager since Mr Slade.

Time to move on surely

Thats true malone cost 100k revell 175k and doyle undisclosed and all prob on less than 10k a week? Now compare that to the ludicrous business carried out last aug? Bout 8 players bought in which we now dont want most on long term contract including two goalies and Ricky bought for an undisclosed fee thought to be in the region of £1m and a salary of 25k a week. Now that ireally is bad management dont you think?
    I was pro slade while he was here but saying Doyle undisclosed because it was a decent fee is quite disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I was pro slade while he was here but saying Doyle undisclosed because it was a decent fee is quite disingenuous.
    I thought it was 1M ??

Things like dropping manga totally from the squad was inexcusable. Not even injured either.

He favoured British players if I remember.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 28-02-17 at 10:27.

[QUOTE=LordKenwyne;4722642]Things like dropping manga totally from the squad was inexcusable. Not even injured either.

The list is endless, ruined Gunner, favoured Malone over Fabio, did nothing with big Ken, not to mention all the others who left without having a chance to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Peltier is the only championship standard player he signed.

Peltier is the only championship standard player he signed.
    Zohore? Malone? Immers? O'Keefe? I'm certainly not a Slade fan, or his record in the transfer market while he was here, but all of these were signed while he was manager and all of them have shown/showed that they were Championship standard while playing for us.

[QUOTE=JKB;4722645]
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Things like dropping manga totally from the squad was inexcusable. Not even injured either.

The list is endless, ruined Gunner, favoured Malone over Fabio, did nothing with big Ken, not to mention all the others who left without having a chance to play.
    Matty Kennedy was immense under him at first then he decided to not fancy him. I never understood his decisions.

Ye Fabio I can remember. Playing very well then randomly dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Zohore? Malone? Immers? O'Keefe? I'm certainly not a Slade fan, or his record in the transfer market while he was here, but all of these were signed while he was manager and all of them have shown/showed that they were Championship standard while playing for us.
    With respect Paul, I don't think for one moment Russ was responsible for signing Ken, and played him infrequently, Malone I was never a fan of and the Fulham forums are changing their opinions of him. Immers struggled with both Trollope and Warnock but did have a good spell. O'Keefe is wih MK Dons and has found his level.

All opinions I know, however I do not believe any of his signings were top 6 quality with the exception of Lawrence possibly and unfortunately Russ didn't make best use of him.

I didnt understand why I disliked him so much.

He was being interviewed on Saturday, spouting quotes like " nobody is going to get us out of this situation" and "we can only rely on ourselves" . Just the way he said it got my back up. He is the king of stating the obvious and trying to make it sound like it is profound.

That said I dont wish him ill, as he has a family to look after, his football life hasn't been great since he left here, probably because he isnt a good football manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I didnt understand why I disliked him so much.

He was being interviewed on Saturday, spouting quotes like " nobody is going to get us out of this situation" and "we can only rely on ourselves" . Just the way he said it got my back up. He is the king of stating the obvious and trying to make it sound like it is profound.

That said I dont wish him ill, as he has a family to look after, his football life hasn't been great since he left here, probably because he isnt a good football manager.
    When Solskjaer was sacked we were only 5 points off the playoffs with loads of games to go. I think that the signing of someone who had never managed at this level before after a century of solid service in the lower divisions was not going to whet the appetite of fans who had seen top flight football the season before. He was on to a loser straight away. Before Trollope was appointed the gap between us and the top 6 had grown from 5 to 16 points. His fate was sealed early on.

Between them, Trollope and Slade did an ok job but there was always the feeling that we could have been doing better - younger players were being ignored, Slade's eye for a bargain hadn't delivered as much as the owners were reckoning on, while tactically we were about as flexible as a nuclear bunker. Slade was probably doing his best and working as hard as he could, certainly behind the scenes and balancing the books, but in terms of getting the best out of the players Slade was probably just a bit out of his depth at Championship level.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    When Solskjaer was sacked we were only 5 points off the playoffs with loads of games to go. I think that the signing of someone who had never managed at this level before after a century of solid service in the lower divisions was not going to whet the appetite of fans who had seen top flight football the season before. He was on to a loser straight away. Before Trollope was appointed the gap between us and the top 6 had grown from 5 to 16 points. His fate was sealed early on.

Between them, Trollope and Slade did an ok job but there was always the feeling that we could have been doing better - younger players were being ignored, Slade's eye for a bargain hadn't delivered as much as the owners were reckoning on, while tactically we were about as flexible as a nuclear bunker. Slade was probably doing his best and working as hard as he could, certainly behind the scenes and balancing the books, but in terms of getting the best out of the players Slade was probably just a bit out of his depth at Championship level.
    But he got the team to 8th in the champ. What does that make the others managers in that league? And that was with the constant meddling of Choo and Delhman, the transfer embargo the releasing of players without even involving Slade etc etc. if reaching the position of 8th with all that going on is showing your out your depth i would take it anyday. It will be interesting to see if NW can this season eclipse what Slade acheived in the last?

But he got the team to 8th in the champ. What does that make the others managers in that league? And that was with the constant meddling of Choo and Delhman, the transfer embargo the releasing of players without even involving Slade etc etc. if reaching the position of 8th with all that going on is showing your out your depth i would take it anyday. It will be interesting to see if NW can this season eclipse what Slade acheived in the last?
    What was all that meddling by Choo and Dalman? What players were released without involving Slade?

He may not have wanted some things to happen, including the Jones and Connolly loans - it made his job harder - but I am really interested to know how he was totally excluded from any of those massive club decisions. You are so ITK about this I assume you were in the room with Choo and Dalman when they were signing agreements behind Slade's back? No?