+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Only 23 years???

Only 23 years???

For the matalan murderer, 2 lives taken, 20 years for each would have been better I think. Pre meditated and planned.

Re: Only 23 years???

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    For the matalan murderer, 2 lives taken, 20 years for each would have been better I think. Pre meditated and planned.
    Minimum of.

shocking, should never be allowed out

you take a life, you give up yours

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Seconded.

Exactly, 2 lives taken, not out until 60 in my mind, at least.....

If it's a life sentence, they do give up the rest of their life. Not necessarily always in jail - after the minimum sentence is done they have parole hearings which can deny them outside 'freedom'. If they do have parole then they have to check in weekly with their officer and the smallest misdemeanour puts them back inside. I expect it's pretty hard for them to find a job.

Just had a look and there are about 5,500 life sentence prisoners inside at the moment. About 300 sentences are given each year and about 200 paroles are granted.

Keep them all inside and it soon gets very expensive. Not the best way to deal with justice, perhaps, but it's got to be a consideration.

Tldr, a life sentence stays with them for life.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    images.png

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Minimum of.
    So basically, aslong as he keeps his nose clean in prison, goes to all his therapy sessions, feeds the parole board a load of bullshit, he will be back walking the streets in his Early 40s. Kick in the bollocks for the victims families....they need to appeal that sentence and get it drastically increased

Btw I'm not talking specifically about this case, just life sentences in general. People often think such criminals have been released when they leave prison, but it just means they're continuing their sentence somewhere else.

If it's a life sentence, they do give up the rest of their life. Not necessarily always in jail - after the minimum sentence is done they have parole hearings which can deny them outside 'freedom'. If they do have parole then they have to check in weekly with their officer and the smallest misdemeanour puts them back inside. I expect it's pretty hard for them to find a job.

Just had a look and there are about 5,500 life sentence prisoners inside at the moment. About 300 sentences are given each year and about 200 paroles are granted.

Keep them all inside and it soon gets very expensive. Not the best way to deal with justice, perhaps, but it's got to be a consideration.

Maybe it would be cheaper, and more productive, to put them in chain gangs building new roads, homes , etc.

Cardiff Queen Street murders: Andrew Saunders gets minimum of 23 years in jail for murdering young couple - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...rdiff-12661338

As a deterrent I'd give all adult premeditated murderers whole life sentences and 50 years minimum for anyone under 18.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Maybe it would be cheaper, and more productive, to put them in chain gangs building new roads, homes , etc.
    That would, er, kill two birds with one stone so I'd go along with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    So basically, aslong as he keeps his nose clean in prison, goes to all his therapy sessions, feeds the parole board a load of bullshit, he will be back walking the streets in his Early 40s. Kick in the bollocks for the victims families....they need to appeal that sentence and get it drastically increased
    Yep, sounds easy really, probably best we hang him just in case. Mind you, I'm not sure a 23 year prison sentence will be easy and I'm also sure the parole board are highly trained and risk adverse. If he is released in 23 years time it'll be because he's no longer a risk to society.

And even then he'll have trouble finding a job etc. Unless he's a footballer of course and then people will be demanding he's employed at the very highest standard.
    Last edited by itkman; 28-02-17 at 14:30.

It wasn't even a spur of the moment thing. He meticulously planned it. Then carried out a brutal savage attack, over a bit of rejection. How can you ever trust someone like that back out on the streets. He didn't even have the balls to face Lee Simmons. He run up behind him and stabbed him in the back like the coward he is, then goes and chases down a terrified young girl screaming fr help, and stabs her repeatedly in the back and neck. If he doesn't deserve a whole life tarrif, then who does

Can the family appeal the length of sentence in the hope of getting a longer one?

Can the family appeal the length of sentence in the hope of getting a longer one?
    Yes they can. Think they can take it to the high court, and get the sentence increased if its deemed to lenient

Anyone can ask to appeal a sentence length for murder and many other serious crimes. https://www.gov.uk/ask-crown-court-sentence-review

Didn't know that. From that link it says that anyone can appeal it, so anyone on here who's unhappy can appeal too.

Those men who killed that drug dealer iwho was dealing in crack and heroin from Llanedeyrn not so long ago got 32year minimum sentences, and IMO they done us all a favour. Just goes to show how pathetic a 23 year sentence for killing 2 inocent young people is

It wasn't even a spur of the moment thing. He meticulously planned it. Then carried out a brutal savage attack, over a bit of rejection. How can you ever trust someone like that back out on the streets. He didn't even have the balls to face Lee Simmons. He run up behind him and stabbed him in the back like the coward he is, then goes and chases down a terrified young girl screaming fr help, and stabs her repeatedly in the back and neck. If he doesn't deserve a whole life tarrif, then who does
    He also had no previous so even if he did come out in 20 years saying he is fine, he still has the thing in him that can flip over something quite pathetic like being dumped. He will be messed up after 25 yrs behind the door anyway. Probably just top himself and save the tax payer a few bob.

Imagine what it would have been like to witness it too, there were people about even at that hour. If you had seen him stab the bloke then start to chase the girl it would be hard to stand by and do nothing......

Imagine what it would have been like to witness it too, there were people about even at that hour. If you had seen him stab the bloke then start to chase the girl it would be hard to stand by and do nothing......

I hope the peace of shit meets his match on the lifers wing and gets his head kicked in. Those scumbags who killed lee rigby got whole life tarrifs......and rightly so, but in my oppinion that evil kunt saunders commited an act even worse. To chase down a young girl who was begging for her life, and brutally kill her is unforgivable. Hes probably still in the frame of mind where hes happy about what he done (if i cant have her no one can) type of mind frame. As the years roll by i hope his conscience catches up with him, and he makes good use of them bed sheets

but they are still " free " and at home with family watching Jeremy Kyle

You got to feel for them though, having to " check in weekly with their officer ", maybe they could coincide it with the trip to the job centre so they do not lose all the benefits they will be getting due to it being "pretty hard for them to find a job ", So we have to pay for them inside or out ( of course it will cost more inside, but hey, we have a bloke who is a double premeditated murderer of the streets )

see above, we will have to pay for them anyway, on the dole or inside, maybe, we could get them working in a controlled manner ? ? ?, the US use them as cheap labour in certain states

Does it ? ? they will come out and be sat at home on benefits, who knows, that might have been the life they were destined for anyway ? ?
    as i said, Take a life, give up yours, spend it inside till you die, I know thats a " pretty right wing notion " for you

at least you didnt ask " was society to blame and what could we have done more in this situation "

I know it's easier said than done, but I don't think I could have stood by and done nothing.
    Surely it would be human nature to chase after him and distract him anyway you can.

Guantanmo Bay.