+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Only 23 years???

Re: Only 23 years???

I suppose that should the public's widely-held perception of prison life change from holiday camps to grim, violent hellholes then more people would fear incarceration and be deterred from committing crime.

That double murderer's lawyer yesterday offered precious little mitigation, and the judge remarked he couldn't detect any remorse - which made his low minimum sentence even more baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I agree that's terrible and I'm all for life meaning life I just think people often over react to these sort of stories because they think he'll be out in 23 years.
    you seem to be missing the point, he COULD be out in 23 years

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Are people missing the word "minimum" on purpose so they can go on weird buzzword rants like this? He won't be making it out after 23 years.
    I'll be checking up in 23 years, bookmarked!!

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    you seem to be missing the point, he COULD be out in 23 years
    It's the could that I have an issue with.....30 would be more apt. He should have about as much hope of getting out as the bloke he knifed in the back and the young girl he chased up queen street and brutally murdered....

In the report it says he actually looked up on the internet (how long do murderers get in prison) if 50years minimum for pre meditated murder popped up then maybe he would have thought twice about carrying out what he did, and instead decided to just have a straightner with lee Simmons. All ifs and buts i know, but if there is a real detterent, then mayube these to lives could have been saved, as many others could also

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    In the report it says he actually looked up on the internet (how long do murderers get in prison) if 50years minimum for pre meditated murder popped up then maybe he would have thought twice about carrying out what he did, and instead decided to just have a straightner with lee Simmons. All ifs and buts i know, but if there is a real detterent, then mayube these to lives could have been saved, as many others could also
    Life means life, i wonder if that might have made him think about it, as it was obviously was a consideration as why would he have looked it up online ?? ?? it just might have saved 2 lives

Life means life, i wonder if that might have made him think about it, as it was obviously was a consideration as why would he have looked it up online ?? ?? it just might have saved 2 lives
    Agree with you matt. He was obviously checking things out. Planning it. Probably seen "so and so got out after 14years and so and so got out after this many years" may have influenced his decisions. Now if like you say, his web search turned up " life means life for planned murder" he might have left it at that. Make the deterrent strong enough and people will think twice about commiting serious crime

Premeditated murder he should have been hanged

Case sent for review.
    Let's hope he never gets out.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-39184143

Quote Originally Posted by bluken View Post
    Premeditated murder he should have been hanged
    totally agree premeditated murder , requires the death penalty been restored that is the ultimate deterrent , not keeping them locked up at the taxpayers expense for years on end .

the , bradys, allitts neilsons, sutcliffes of this world should have gone to meet their maker a long time ago.

It would be totally wrong for the culprit to be freed in his 40's. He has ruined a number of lives. A life sentence should mean just that and he should not be released until he is an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    totally agree premeditated murder , requires the death penalty been restored that is the ultimate deterrent , not keeping them locked up at the taxpayers expense for years on end .

the , bradys, allitts neilsons, sutcliffes of this world should have gone to meet their maker a long time ago.
    It would never happen these days. It's a violation of their "human rights", innit?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    It would never happen these days. It's a violation of their "human rights", innit?
    its down to the people in this country, if enough people wanted a return to the death penalty for premeditated murder then it could be achieved. the problem is this country is far too much of a soft touch, certain crimes deserve no leniency whatsoever.

Should be death penalty for paedos too. The worst cases at least. It's clearly a disease, cos how often do they re-offend? You get more years for selling drugs to people who want drugs, than for molesting a young child against their will. The justice system is a joke..

its down to the people in this country, if enough people wanted a return to the death penalty for premeditated murder then it could be achieved. the problem is this country is far too much of a soft touch, certain crimes deserve no leniency whatsoever.
    as time goes by, the county leans more and more to the left

as time goes by, the county leans more and more to the left
    You think this country is currently leaning towards the left?

Good to hear they are going to review it....double it maybe , 20 per murder.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    You think this country is currently leaning towards the left?
    our society is, yes

we have had a slight " blip " recently, but over the last 2 decades, we as a soceity have moved to the left

do you think our county could stomach the death penalty for this crime ? ? ?

our society is, yes

we have had a slight " blip " recently, but over the last 2 decades, we as a soceity have moved to the left

do you think our county could stomach the death penalty for this crime ? ? ?
    i think millions of people in this country are disgusted that ian brady , peter sutcliffe , beverley allitt, dennis neilson and many more are actually still on this mortal coil , the reality is it costs thousands of pounds a year to keep them locked away . these are prisoners that will never see the light of day again for the heinous crimes they have committed . there only punishment is their lack of freedom after they will have become institutionalised.

they will have a roof over their heads and be getting three square meals a day along with various other recreational activities that is far more than what millions of other law abiding citizens in this country can boast about .

i think a return to the death penalty if it came to a vote for specific crimes such as these people have commited would be overwhelmingly in favour of it returning.

i think millions of people in this country are disgusted that ian brady , peter sutcliffe , beverley allitt, dennis neilson and many more are actually still on this mortal coil , the reality is it costs thousands of pounds a year to keep them locked away . these are prisoners that will never see the light of day again for the heinous crimes they have committed . there only punishment is their lack of freedom after they will have become institutionalised.

they will have a roof over their heads and be getting three square meals a day along with various other recreational activities that is far more than what millions of other law abiding citizens in this country can boast about .

i think a return to the death penalty if it came to a vote for specific crimes such as these people have commited would be overwhelmingly in favour of it returning.
    Proof, if it were ever needed, that we were right to abolish the death penalty in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Proof, if it were ever needed, that we were right to abolish the death penalty in this country.
    the death penalty was abolished in the 1950,s sunshine, a very long time ago, we live in a completely different world nowadays.

the death penalty was abolished in the 1950,s sunshine, a very long time ago, we live in a completely different world nowadays.
    It could be argued that some of those men are mentally ill, that doesn't make their crimes any less heinous of course, but I wouldn't be comfortable pressing the button on them.
    The problem that I have is that people who call for the reintroduction of the death penalty do so largely on the basis of some vicarious desire for revenge, I don't think that's a sound basis for such punishment.
    Most of us are opposed to sharia law in this country, re-introduce the death penalty and you're that much closer to endorsing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    It could be argued that some of those men are mentally ill, that doesn't make their crimes any less heinous of course, but I wouldn't be comfortable pressing the button on them.
    The problem that I have is that people who call for the reintroduction of the death penalty do so largely on the basis of some vicarious desire for revenge, I don't think that's a sound basis for such punishment.
    Most of us are opposed to sharia law in this country, re-introduce the death penalty and you're that much closer to endorsing it.
    they are locked away for their own safety and protection, i do not believe they are mentally ill, they are just genuinely evil people. the general public want proper justice , locking them away in relative comfort for the rest of their lives, does not see the punishment fit the crime in many peoples eyes, .. lets put it this way if myra hindley had ever been let out onto the streets before she died she would not have lasted five minutes

they are locked away for their own safety and protection, i do not believe they are mentally ill, they are just genuinely evil people. the general public want proper justice , locking them away in relative comfort for the rest of their lives, does not see the punishment fit the crime in many peoples eyes, .. lets put it this way if myra hindley had ever been let out onto the streets before she died she would not have lasted five minutes
    Is 'genuinely evil' not some sort of mental illness?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Is 'genuinely evil' not some sort of mental illness?
    i think if you were to find that if these people were thrown out into the streets , the general public would give you your answer, especially the friends or families of the victims they mercilessly destroyed .