+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What team in Europe would you recommned seeing at home (and where tickets are easily available)?

What team in Europe would you recommned seeing at home (and where tickets are easily available)?

After my disappointing sojourn to see Barcelona last month (a total lack of atmosphere for a crowd of more than 80,000) I fancy doing a trip somewhere every season with footy included.

I have been to the San Siro (albeit to watch Italy v Wales) and, in recent years, Gladbach at home - but am wondering if any of you have any recommendations, especially at a venue where ticket availability isn't too bad.

Juventus? Hertha? Dortmund?

Re: What team in Europe would you recommned seeing at home (and where tickets are easily available)?

Only club game outside of the Uk I've been to is Hamburg.

They've got this Jager thing outside the ground and everyone was buying each other shots. It was winter time though and the ground wasn't totally full. Not that I can remember that much.

Then you can go watch St Pauli also.

And the city is great.

Re: What team in Europe would you recommned seeing at home (and where tickets are easily available)?

Besiktas (preferably against Galatasaray or Fernebahce)

I agree with LK

Eintracht Frankfurt create a great atmosphere and match-day experience (tickets on the upper West Kurve are probably best, above their standing area).

rangers

I've been to see BMG at home a few times, but when they played away to Borussia Dortmund was a good experience i.e. the train journey up with the supporters etc.

Some of the stadiums like the Olympico Rome are bowls with no soul.

I have seen lots of European football & probably the best I have been to was the Rome derby & would certainly recommend it.

Fly Brizzle to Split, watch Hajduk Split v one of the Zagreb sides , it's like bonfire night on acid .

Hertha is a great stadium but if you were disappointed with the nou camp atmosphere you'd definitely be disappointed there.

I've been to the allianz arena but not for a game so I'd like to try that. If I was to go to a new place it'd be Istanbul, as mentioned above.

Go to Berne and watch Young Boys at the Wankdorf stadium for nothing other than schoolboy comedy gold

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    After my disappointing sojourn to see Barcelona last month (a total lack of atmosphere for a crowd of more than 80,000) I fancy doing a trip somewhere every season with footy included.

I have been to the San Siro (albeit to watch Italy v Wales) and, in recent years, Gladbach at home - but am wondering if any of you have any recommendations, especially at a venue where ticket availability isn't too bad.

I took my boys to Dortmund for the Ruhr Derby against Schalke which was epic.

Off to Rome for Roma vs Napli this weekend, plus have done the Classico which was an experience. But Dortmund was better.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Hertha is a great stadium but if you were disappointed with the nou camp atmosphere you'd definitely be disappointed there.

I've been to the allianz arena but not for a game so I'd like to try that. If I was to go to a new place it'd be Istanbul, as mentioned above.
    I must have been lucky with a Hertha v Hamburg game that I watched as the atmosphere was great.

Went to Hertha v Bayern last season, full house but the support seemed a bit choreographed, sort of stayed at a constant pitch. Mind you the Hertha fans didn't have a lot to get animated about, comfortable 2-0 win for Bayern. Bayern fans were a lot less boisterous than us away, bit blasé I s'pose with the fairly obvious result.

Blue in the Face

Saw Hertha at home for the first time ten days ago. The atmosphere was outstanding, but maybe only because they were at home to Bayern (and leading up until the last kick of the game).

Tickets were easy to get, so maybe worth holding out for this fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Saw Hertha at home for the first time ten days ago. The atmosphere was outstanding, but maybe only because they were at home to Bayern (and leading up until the last kick of the game).

Tickets were easy to get, so maybe worth holding out for this fixture.
    Last season Bayern strolled to their win, may have been the reason why it was a bit muted.

I'd recommend Stebonheath Park, Llanelli. It's cheap and there's no problem getting a ticket. Lee Trundle is on fire - 38 goals so far this season.

The Olympic Stadium is amazing, and well worth checking out, but the atmosphere wasn't great even though Hertha beat Eintracht Frankfurt 6-1 on the opening day of the season in 2013/14 season. I would recommend Union Berlin over Hertha everytime, and in general as a place to go to see a game. Was a fantastic Friday night game last year, atmosphere was as good as anything I've seen in years, anywhere.

Most German teams are good bet for atmosphere. St Pauli seem to be one of the best options

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    rangers
    Must be plenty of spares these days.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Last season Bayern strolled to their win, may have been the reason why it was a bit muted.
    I got the impression that there were a lot of floating fans, so with the stadium that big, maybe it can easily be poor too. The wall behind the goal was impressive. Also it was fun to get battered during a game though.

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    The Olympic Stadium is amazing, and well worth checking out, but the atmosphere wasn't great even though Hertha beat Eintracht Frankfurt 6-1 on the opening day of the season in 2013/14 season. I would recommend Union Berlin over Hertha everytime, and in general as a place to go to see a game. Was a fantastic Friday night game last year, atmosphere was as good as anything I've seen in years, anywhere.
    Union are next for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Merthyr Tydfil - highly recommended

FC Nantes, (our twin city), I've been a few times.
    Excellent atmosphere in the Home end, and less than 10€ a ticket.

Did Atletico a couple of years ago too, cheap flights from Cardiff now, but tiks might be a problem as there are only a handful of games left at The Valderon
    Last edited by G rangetown Blue; 28-02-17 at 21:45.

Sorry to mention it again but Merthyr is a great European experience

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Must be plenty of spares these days.