+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 1,160 Bridgend Ford jobs under threat

1,160 Bridgend Ford jobs under threat

Nowt to do with Brexit. It's because plants elsewhere in the UK are more efficient, according to the company

More than 1,000 jobs 'will go' at 'under-performing' Bridgend Ford plant - live updates - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/busines...ice=responsive

Re: 1,160 Bridgend Ford jobs under threat

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Nowt to do with Brexit. It's because plants elsewhere in the UK are more efficient, according to the company

More than 1,000 jobs 'will go' at 'under-performing' Bridgend Ford plant - live updates - http://www.walesonline.co.uk/busines...ice=responsive
    Doesnt read well. Bridgend workers costing too much money in more ways than oneif the report is to be believed and unlikely to get any further investment from the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

The amount of overtime in Bridgend is twice as much as in Dagenham

Hopefully they can come to some sort of agreement, cut overtime or whatever before this gets rolling. In sure if they had a word with the workers most of them would take a pay cut to keep the place going

Mcclluskey will have them on strike by Monday

I wouldn't bet on them taking a pay cut, they would cut your throat there for the chance to work overtime. A culture established over 30 years of high pay rises and self entitlement has led to an unproductive and caustic environment. An environment that can't compete in the global market. The place will be mothballed, and shut by 2020.

they have been producing engines for jaguar land rover for a number of years and now jaguar land rover are making there own engines up in wolverhampton . the plan for wolverhampton is to build half a million engines a year by 2020 . there's no call for them to be made in bridgend and if they don't produce engines for Ford the writings on the wall .most people in the automotive world knew this was going to happen

not good for the workers there but i expect when aston martin come down here in the next few years alot will go there .

its propaganda dont believe the hype

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    The amount of overtime in Bridgend is twice as much as in Dagenham
    That's because Dagenham build diesel engines and Bridgend build petrol. Dagenham have been on a four day week recently. If a company ask you to go in to work on the weekend what do you say? Guys who have refused to work saturday nights have received letters threatening them with the sack. How hypocritical is that? Don't believe everything you read in the papers. Ford have two plants and to save money you close one of them simple economics, nothing else, but they blame the workers to get the public to keep buying cars and not show any sympathy. Ford are the number one car maker in the country for sales yet they have gone from over 60k workers in the 70's to 14k today. The working class man is being shafted by corporate greed.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    they have been producing engines for jaguar land rover for a number of years and now jaguar land rover are making there own engines up in wolverhampton . the plan for wolverhampton is to build half a million engines a year by 2020 . there's no call for them to be made in bridgend and if they don't produce engines for Ford the writings on the wall .most people in the automotive world knew this was going to happen

not good for the workers there but i expect when aston martin come down here in the next few years alot will go there .
    Spot on or even look to work in the new i54 plant for Jaguar Land Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I wouldn't bet on them taking a pay cut, they would cut your throat there for the chance to work overtime. A culture established over 30 years of high pay rises and self entitlement has led to an unproductive and caustic environment. An environment that can't compete in the global market. The place will be mothballed, and shut by 2020.
    Sounds very bitter towards the workers there but I guess that's human after all why does everyone hate Man Utd, at least they used too as the song went

Something else for the Remainers to blame on Brexit anyway with completely no foundation.

I blame Brexit.

If the trade is in Euros than its going to have an effect .

Brexit, Brexit, ya, ya, ya

This decision one eyed decision will hurt Wales more than anyone else in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If the trade is in Euros than its going to have an effect .

Brexit, Brexit, ya, ya, ya

This decision one eyed decision will hurt Wales more than anyone else in the UK
    Of course it will.

Even if it doesn't, isnt it great just saying why me?

Its an injustice, its an injustice it is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovzN-0hJgI

Quote Originally Posted by i saw ronnie moore score View Post
    That's because Dagenham build diesel engines and Bridgend build petrol. Dagenham have been on a four day week recently. If a company ask you to go in to work on the weekend what do you say? Guys who have refused to work saturday nights have received letters threatening them with the sack. How hypocritical is that? Don't believe everything you read in the papers. Ford have two plants and to save money you close one of them simple economics, nothing else, but they blame the workers to get the public to keep buying cars and not show any sympathy. Ford are the number one car maker in the country for sales yet they have gone from over 60k workers in the 70's to 14k today. The working class man is being shafted by corporate greed.

SPOT ON 1.6 BILLION PROFIT IN EUROPE

The only surprise in this story is it's a surprise. JLR's move to Wolverhampton has been public knowledge for 5+ years.

I spend every hour of every day fighting a rearguard action to keep Automotive jobs in the UK. The next Jaguar is being built in Austria, the next Landrover in Slovakia. BMW's new contracts state "must be built in the European Union". Honda Swindon is struggling & lost the Jazz & CRV. Every conversation I have relates to future taxation & exchange rates. It's tough!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    The only surprise in this story is it's a surprise. JLR's move to Wolverhampton has been public knowledge for 5+ years.

I spend every hour of every day fighting a rearguard action to keep Automotive jobs in the UK. The next Jaguar is being built in Austria, the next Landrover in Slovakia. BMW's new contracts state "must be built in the European Union". Honda Swindon is struggling & lost the Jazz & CRV. Every conversation I have relates to future taxation & exchange rates. It's tough!
    i am glad i got rid of my bmw then. i now have a brand new lexus, will that be affected by the eu brexit thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

Out of interest do you know, or can you guess what did the Welsh gov gave/loosened for aston martin to move here?. TVR?.

They said they gave them nothing but I find that not to be believable.

I know for a fact they have helped certain companies in south wales. Even if that has meant giving far more aid to them than to other firms in the area. And even if it means at the expense of other welsh companies. Regardless of how many jobs it creates, it seems they don't care as long as if it is steel for example.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 04-03-17 at 16:39.

des the 2 JLR cars you mentioned being built in austria and slovakia decision was made before brexit . As for the UK jlr estimate they are still looking for 3,000 engineers by 2020 and there expansion plans at wolves and Whitley are firmly on track . Think it's all still looking good till 2020 but who knows after that . They also just built another state of the art engine plant in China which is the same footprint as in Wolves again that decision was before brexit . Automotive manufacturing companies makes decision years in advance as you know . ronnie moore there are quite a few welsh people working up at the wolverhampton site now and with there second phase opening up there this year will be lots of opportunities if your prepared to work away from home or even move .
    I think the biggest threat in the future to the car industry where jobs are concerned is when electric vehicles are massed produced .The skills and technologies will be alot different to the ones now

lordkenwyne got no proof or evidence but my gut feeling is that the aston martin project down here as had some form of incentive