+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M4 tunnel?

M4 tunnel?

No not the poxy Brynglas tunnels, a fifteen mile tunnel!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-39107848

They'll laugh it out of the inquiry surely? The cost would be huge.

Re: M4 tunnel?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post

Anything to avoid Newport is worth it in my book.

Ridiculous idea, would cost tens of billions.

If Newport was a few miles from London instead of Cardiff on the other hand it'd get done without a second thought.

could get a monorail for half that

Wish they would just hurry up and build the new 3 lane motorway south of Newport. Just bloody build it.

Wasting millions on enquiries to save a newt is silly.

All they need is a couple of these:---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07xXP6Tu9I

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post

There'd be a big EU grant to help pay for it I would have thought - oh hang on.

Non starter I would have thought.

I think this option was probably just proposed to get around environmental objections.
    So they can say yes we have this one option which would protect the ugly swamp the new motorway will go through, but it will bankrupt the country until the end of time.
    Or we could do the original one and 3 herons will have to slightly move where they perch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think this option was probably just proposed to get around environmental objections.
    So they can say yes we have this one option which would protect the ugly swamp the new motorway will go through, but it will bankrupt the country until the end of time.
    Or we could do the original one and 3 herons will have to slightly move where they perch.
    Yeah, sod the animals, they'll all be gone soon anyway.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...can-conference
    Less people, less cars might ease the traffic congestion...

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    monorail2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    The ring came off my pudding can...

Blue in the Face

We'll never get proper investment in Wales. Got to keep us dependent on the Barnett formula like a dealer keeps his customers hooked on crack

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There'd be a big EU grant to help pay for it I would have thought - oh hang on.

Non starter I would have thought.
    Naughty , naughty,dont start telling folk Europe was good for Wales.

Whitehall will fund it all dont you worry, we don't need those generous Europeans giving us regional dosh instead of the rich South West of England .

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Wish they would just hurry up and build the new 3 lane motorway south of Newport. Just bloody build it.

Wasting millions on enquiries to save a newt is silly.
    totally agree a useless and ineffective local government bunch of jokers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    totally agree a useless and ineffective local government bunch of jokers
    Well it sounds good but you can't "just build it" can you. You can't just whack down fifteen miles of six lane motorway across three areas of special scientific interest. For a project as controversial and expensive as this there was always going to be an inquiry. I do agree that we should have arrived at this point years ago.
    Funnily enough it was Edwina Hart that gave this project the kick up the arse it needed about two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Dont we put in more than we get out ?

If instead we actually got more out than we put in - you'd have invented an economic model that defies logic. Unless of course you live in Greece......

We all know the answer - blow up the brynglas tunnels and everything above it. Clear out the mess - re tarmac. Could do it in a weekend and back ready my Monday - sorted
    Absolute garbage. You obviously don't attempt to drive it most days. The topography of the whole section means it is completely not fit for purpose. It has been admitted that it was originally only intended as a dual carriageway type bypass. It is simply dangerous, and no amount of 'traffic calming measures' (aka income generating cameras and variable speed limits) will relieve this.

Liverpool has three, three / four lane motorways in and out for example. They are mostly flat, straight roads and until recently, were largely redundant. Over the past few years however huge distribution centres / business parks have sprung up due to the enviable infrastructure, creating thousands of much needed jobs in the process.

I'm not asking for that. I'm simply asking for a safe, quick, efficient way to get to and from South Wales.

This has to happen, but only linked to the Metro serving the rest of South Wales.

I know we're all totally against shortcuts on this board, but wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to upgrade the current Southern Distributor road?

Remember when Cardiff Bay was first developed and people said the birds would be lost forever - would die of starvation etc - all the 'birds' did was move down the coast a bit to newport wetlands
    They could have gone a lot nearer to the Rumney Great Wharf wetlands

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    Take my penknife my good man.....

The Ely link road went through quite a few pools and boggy land where newts and tadpoles were holding up, if I remember rightly.

It would be cheaper, and much more pleasing, to simply plough a 6-lame M-way through the centre of Newport.
    No-one would notice.

Dont we put in more than we get out ?

If instead we actually got more out than we put in - you'd have invented an economic model that defies logic. Unless of course you live in Greece......

We all know the answer - blow up the brynglas tunnels and everything above it. Clear out the mess - re tarmac. Could do it in a weekend and back ready my Monday - sorted
    Wales certainly got / gets more out of the EU than it put in.

Of the £3247 income tax I paid last year from my pension only £38 was part of the UK contribution to the
    EU budget. Fact.

Brexit was a fuss about nothing on that basis.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Wales certainly got / gets more out of the EU than it put in.

Of the £3247 income tax I paid last year from my pension only £38 was part of the UK contribution to the
    EU budget. Fact.

Brexit was a fuss about nothing on that basis.
    I don't think the majority of the leave voters had the budget on thier minds when voting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Take my penknife my good man.....

You can have it free

I don't wanna buck

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I don't think the majority of the leave voters had the budget on thier minds when voting out.
    I know several who completely bought into the 350m a week claims.