+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The most iconic building to have disappeared from the wonderful city of Cardiff

The most iconic building to have disappeared from the wonderful city of Cardiff

IMO was the Empire pool. Also imo, the most iconic building that has remained, is the indoor market. I know many on here will say NP, or the CAP, but both have been replaced, on more or less the same spot. Anyway, other opinions are most welcome.

Re: The most iconic building to have disappeared from the wonderful city of Cardiff

Vulcan

Re: The most iconic building to have disappeared from the wonderful city of Cardiff

The coal exchange. Although it's still there, its being turned into some cheap tacky hotel-weding venue. A building with so much history, deserves so much more

Greyfriars

Not so much a building, but these ruins would/could have been a wonderful tourist attraction

(number 3 Greyfriars)http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifesty...-past-11387766

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Greyfriars
    SNAP

And for a building that's still here..... Although still pretty new, i do like the Wales millennium centre. It's been a massive success, and has become world renowned as world class venue. Loydd Weber rated it as the. Best venue built in the last 50years

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Greyfriars
    Yep, at the time that tower was built, surely there was plenty of other land available.

Also worth mentioning the original Queen Street station.

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    The coal exchange. Although it's still there, its being turned into some cheap tacky hotel-weding venue. A building with so much history, deserves so much more
    It was falling down, I think it's better that we are getting this than the thing is pulled down altogether

Not buildings, but it'd be nice if more of the glamorganshire canal remained, and the old railway viaducts.

Foresters

Astey's

NCP Dumfries Place

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It was falling down, I think it's better that we are getting this than the thing is pulled down altogether
    Agree with you mate. I'm glad it's been saved. Just wish something could have been done with it that's more beffitting of such an iconic building.....What, I don't no mind lol shame it couldn't have stayed as a music venue

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    SNAP
    Great minds and all that

Absolutely.

Cory Hall

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Not so much a building, but these ruins would/could have been a wonderful tourist attraction

(number 3 Greyfriars)http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifesty...-past-11387766
    I enjoyed that article, cheers

Those "look at the difference" image sliders don't really work unless the two pictures were taken from the same place though.

Custom House pub

What would you put there? Aside from something like a concert hall or government building (which we're already well catered for in the Bay) it's never going to be anything but apartments, a restraunt or a hotel and personally I think the plans for it looks pretty good, seem to be going for a more up market hotel than a tacky wedding venue.

Maybe not the most iconic, but this takes me back:

https://i2.wp.com/fairwaterpost.co.u...01a-c19201.jpg

Not buildings, but it'd be nice if more of the glamorganshire canal remained, and the old railway viaducts.
    Agree with you on the canal. We walked along the bit that's still in water by Forest Farm last Autumn and it's such a peaceful spot.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Agree with you on the canal. We walked along the bit that's still in water by Forest Farm last Autumn and it's such a peaceful spot.
    Haven't been there for years, especially since I moved away, but I used to love going there.
    Cardiff is fortunate to have these gems - like this, The Waunallt, Coopers Field all the way through Bute Park and on to Llandaff Fields and Blackweir, all so incredibly close to the City.
    Fairly unique maybe.

The old Queen Street Railway Station.

Yep, at the time that tower was built, surely there was plenty of other land available.

Also worth mentioning the original Queen Street station.
    Good call on Queen St Station. Especially when you look at what's replaced it.