+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The most iconic building to have disappeared from the wonderful city of Cardiff

Re: The most iconic building to have disappeared from the wonderful city of Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Oh I see. They were temporary arches to celebrate the jubilee were they?
    They look pretty permanent to me? I'm not sure.

Re: The most iconic building to have disappeared from the wonderful city of Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Who remembers 3 of my families outlets? Cowbridge Rd East, Cowbridge Rd West and the bottom of Lansdown Rd.?
    I remember the Lansdown rd one, opposite the original site of the Ninian park pub

How come nobody's mentioned Ninian Park?

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    How come nobody's mentioned Ninian Park?
    Kind of mentioned in the OP

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    County Cinema Rumney & The Old Cross Inn ( its all we had in the East )
    I lived at the back of the Carpenter's Arms for many years, of course the County cinema was long gone, however, "The Old Cross Inn" has gone too? I'm surprised to hear that, if it is indeed the case. I left the area a couple of years before they demolished the "Carp's". I would have thought without competition from the Carp's the Cross Inn would have done a good trade? ... so, what stands on the site of The Old Cross Inn now , because there was a decent amount of room with the car park and small beer gardens??

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Central Boys Club - I put the alarm in there 30 years ago it was an iconic place for many Cardiff Kids.
    Empire Pool - Demolished in the name of Rugby.
    Guildford Crescent swimming baths - I learned to swim here.

I think most of us of a certain age (I left primary school in 1972) would have been taught to swim at Guildford Crescent ... I think it was compulsory to pass your swimming test back then, wasn't it? Couldn't see properly for an hour after leaving the baths with all the chlorine they put in the pools (3) there!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Not so much a building, but these ruins would/could have been a wonderful tourist attraction

(number 3 Greyfriars)http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifesty...-past-11387766
    In all the years I used to live in Cardiff (43), I had never been in that small, central park, near Greyfriars. In fact, I think I have only been inside the castle twice!

Some interesting facts and photos in that link.

I remember the Lansdown rd one, opposite the original site of the Ninian park pub
    Don't think that was W. Treseder.

I think it was Ansteys (spelling)

When I first saw the film Gangs of New York, and it's story of the 5 points, for some reason it reminded me of the old 5 towns of Cardiff. Grangetown, Butetown, Newtown, Crockherbtown and Temperencetown.
    Great history of the city when you look it up.

Not looking to deviate, but these old Cardiff waterways are fascinating.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifesty...ardiff-8120212

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    In surprised no one has mentioned the red house pub, down on the pointe. Anyone remember that place?

Yep, used to drink down there on a summers evening

the-red-house.jpg

Here you go:--

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ph...MQ7AkIPA&dpr=1

IMO was the Empire pool. Also imo, the most iconic building that has remained, is the indoor market. I know many on here will say NP, or the CAP, but both have been replaced, on more or less the same spot. Anyway, other opinions are most welcome.
    Ninian Park.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Kind of mentioned in the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I think most of us of a certain age (I left primary school in 1972) would have been taught to swim at Guildford Crescent ... I think it was compulsory to pass your swimming test back then, wasn't it? Couldn't see properly for an hour after leaving the baths with all the chlorine they put in the pools (3) there!
    They were called Gilford crescent barrrs

Well done Bluetit. You are a true Cardiffian. Lannsdiwn Rd was a red herring. Ansteys were competitors of ours back in the day.
    We had an outlet near St Davids hospital and Gardens in Ely.

I lived at the back of the Carpenter's Arms for many years, of course the County cinema was long gone, however, "The Old Cross Inn" has gone too? I'm surprised to hear that, if it is indeed the case. I left the area a couple of years before they demolished the "Carp's". I would have thought without competition from the Carp's the Cross Inn would have done a good trade? ... so, what stands on the site of The Old Cross Inn now , because there was a decent amount of room with the car park and small beer gardens??
    The Cross is still there. The caprs is a sainsburys now

The cross inn is still there mate, like you say the carps has gone, and the goodies down the other end of llanrumney has gone to. Both well known pubs ruined by to many idiots causing trouble in them

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    County Cinema Rumney & The Old Cross Inn ( its all we had in the East )

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    The Cross is still there. The caprs is a sainsburys now
    I was a bit confused when LoM mentioned The Cross with the long gone County cinema

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    The cross inn is still there mate, like you say the carps has gone, and the goodies down the other end of llanrumney has gone to. Both well known pubs ruined by to many idiots causing trouble in them
    Never went in either The Carps or The Goodies but surely they couldn't have been any worse than The Cross? It's like "Road House" in there all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Never went in either The Carps or The Goodies but surely they couldn't have been any worse than The Cross? It's like "Road House" in there all the time.
    The Carpenter's Arms always had a much younger clientele and invariably ... more trouble. The Cross lounge used to be a very sedate affair, mostly oldies.

Treseder deffo

Well done Bluetit. You are a true Cardiffian. Lannsdiwn Rd was a red herring. Ansteys were competitors of ours back in the day.
    We had an outlet near St Davids hospital and Gardens in Ely.
    Treseder deffo
    NOPE

Yep, used to drink down there on a summers evening

the-red-house.jpg

Here you go:--

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ph...MQ7AkIPA&dpr=1
    Wonderful pic that is. I doubt there are many pubs with as many storys to tell as the red house. Love the way it stood out on its own.... Like a beacon for in coming sailors back in the old days, when the docks was one of the biggest ports in the world. Shame they couldn't have saved it like they did with the Norwegian church

The Carpenter's Arms always had a much younger clientele and invariably ... more trouble. The Cross lounge used to be a very sedate affair, mostly oldies.
    Very much this. The cross has become a lot more nasty since the carps and goodies have shut down. Lot more younger clientell have made it there local. Its become a goldmine now, but before that it was more of a regulars pub where people new everyone's faces