+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The most iconic building to have disappeared from the wonderful city of Cardiff

Re: The most iconic building to have disappeared from the wonderful city of Cardiff

County Cinema Rumney & The Old Cross Inn ( its all we had in the East )

Re: The most iconic building to have disappeared from the wonderful city of Cardiff

I did see on a Cardiff Facebook page the old Firestation in Westgate street which looked an impressive building, which has been replaced by that monstrosity of a car par which is without doubt the worst building in Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    The coal exchange. Although it's still there, its being turned into some cheap tacky hotel-weding venue. A building with so much history, deserves so much more
    Looking at the old pictures, loundon square looked amazing and would be a great link between the bay and the centre. Demolished.....with great difficulty to build a high rise estate with the worst crime in Wales. Good one eh

Apart from the canal, which I'd love to see back, the arch between St Mary St and High St looked pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Apart from the canal, which I'd love to see back, the arch between St Mary St and High St looked pretty cool.
    Never heard of this. Any pics?

The Monico, Rhiwbina. Block of flats there now.

Sophia Gardens Pavilion - a dump but some great concerts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    Sophia Gardens Pavilion - a dump but some great concerts
    I saw Pink Floyd,Black Sabbath and Quintessance on the same gig in 1969

It's a pity the roof fell in

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Never heard of this. Any pics?
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ju..._Zo5hTC88GJEM:

Here you go. There was also one on Kinsway too.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    I saw Pink Floyd,Black Sabbath and Quintessance on the same gig in 1969

It's a pity the roof fell in
    Uriah Heep, UB40, Rainbow as well

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ju..._Zo5hTC88GJEM:

Here you go. There was also one on Kinsway too.
    Oh I see. They were temporary arches to celebrate the jubilee were they?

I can remember the old Queen Street station was a formidable looking Victorian station which was just flattened and feel aced with a soul less monstrosity that is more of a glorified portakabin.Cardiff council planning at its most inept.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    What would you put there? Aside from something like a concert hall or government building (which we're already well catered for in the Bay) it's never going to be anything but apartments, a restraunt or a hotel and personally I think the plans for it looks pretty good, seem to be going for a more up market hotel than a tacky wedding venue.
    I don't no, maybe they should have chucked the Welsh Assembly in there instead of that weird looking thing down the bay? Being serious though, the worlds first million pound check was signed in there. The deals that went on in that place probably had a big part in keeping the Brit empire rolling. And as for upmarket..... How you supposed to get your freak on with the bridesmaid when you got Shirley bassey starring at you lol I'd rather the place be upmarket apartments. Would make a great masonic type place where they do secret handshakes and sacrifice goats. What you reckon?
    Last edited by Silures; 02-03-17 at 20:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Bop Deluxe View Post
    I can remember the old Queen Street station was a formidable looking Victorian station which was just flattened and feel aced with a soul less monstrosity that is more of a glorified portakabin.Cardiff council planning at its most inept.
    I'm not sure the council would have had any say in the matter.

In surprised no one has mentioned the red house pub, down on the pointe. Anyone remember that place?

I don't no, maybe they should have chucked the Welsh Assembly in there instead of that weird looking thing down the bay? Being serious though, the worlds first million pound check was signed in there. The deals that went on in that place probably had a big part in keeping the Brit empire rolling. And as for upmarket..... How you supposed to get your freak on with the bridesmaid when you got Shirley bassey starring at you lol I'd rather the place be upmarket apartments. Would make a great masonic type place where they do secret handshakes and sacrifice goats. What you reckon?
    At least with it being a venue of sorts, the main hall will be kept and used. In fact I think the main hall is being brought back to its former glory. If it were turned into flats, it may have been lost forever.

In surprised no one has mentioned the red house pub, down on the pointe. Anyone remember that place?
    Took my wife there on one of our first dates. Walked down the old railway line that ran parallel with South Clive Street.

I was always a man of refined taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    At least with it being a venue of sorts, the main hall will be kept and used. In fact I think the main hall is being brought back to its former glory. If it were turned into flats, it may have been lost forever.
    You are right there mate. I can't argue with that. Im just glad its getting a new lease of life if in honest. Some great old buildings around that way, i hope they all get preserved

Quote Originally Posted by not telling View Post
    Maybe not the most iconic, but this takes me back:

https://i2.wp.com/fairwaterpost.co.u...01a-c19201.jpg
    Remember clambering about in there "bunking off" from Cantonian High School early 1970's. The chimneys were unbelievable.

The Hip'po club. Bogiez

For me, it has to be the old Capitol Theatre, Queen Street. Although it was before my time, the stories from this place are incredible and was the go to gig venue for the biggest acts in the world during the 60s, with The Beatles being top of the pile.

It went from this:

http://i4.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyl...CAPITOL_01.jpg

To this

http://i1.walesonline.co.uk/incoming...JS35374233.jpg

WTF?!

(there is also a photo of the original in a very sad and derelict state but I can't seem to find it now)

Not knocked down but now flats, The Grosvenor

Some great pictures of Cardiff buildings no longer in existence.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifesty...ardiff-9490961

My favourite was the huge building that housed the YMCA on station terrace in town, can't find much about it on the net though.

Who remembers 3 of my families outlets? Cowbridge Rd East, Cowbridge Rd West and the bottom of Lansdown Rd.?

Central Boys Club - I put the alarm in there 30 years ago it was an iconic place for many Cardiff Kids.
    Empire Pool - Demolished in the name of Rugby.
    Guildford Crescent swimming baths - I learned to swim here.