+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sign a rebrand petition

Sign a rebrand petition

Re: Sign a rebrand petition

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I'm right behind this. Funny that they've conveniently airbrushed this decades long bit out, mind you:

The German motto "Ich dien" ("I serve") is a near-homophone for the Welsh phrase "Eich Dyn" meaning "Your Man", which might have helped endear the young Black Prince to the Welsh soldiers in particular.

Fits in rather well with the German Royal lineage (actually love the Germans and their modern culture). Pity the {English} celestial {Royal Family} weren't of a similar ilk.

'The House of Windsor came into being in 1917, when the name was adopted as the British Royal Family's official name by a proclamation of King George V, replacing the historic name of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. It remains the family name of the current Royal Family.'

It's also odd that doesn't mention that the name change came about as a result of their fear over the widespread threats during WWI

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    I'm right behind this. Funny that they've conveniently airbrushed this decades long bit out, mind you:

The German motto "Ich dien" ("I serve") is a near-homophone for the Welsh phrase "Eich Dyn" meaning "Your Man", which might have helped endear the young Black Prince to the Welsh soldiers in particular.

Fits in rather well with the German Royal lineage (actually love the Germans and their modern culture). Pity the {English} celestial {Royal Family} weren't of a similar ilk.

'The House of Windsor came into being in 1917, when the name was adopted as the British Royal Family's official name by a proclamation of King George V, replacing the historic name of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. It remains the family name of the current Royal Family.'

It's also odd that doesn't mention that the name change came about as a result of their fear over the widespread threats during WWI

That ship has long sailed, they distanced themselves in the 90's when they created the current logo (and if people remember tried a Dragon logo out on the arm). This included the removal of Ich Dien.

Now the Three Feathers are quintessentially rugby. In a country where the dragon is used for everything from rodent control to radio stations it is a stronger brand signal.

Aren't most of these type of symbols merely battle standards (and the like) originally adopted by rulers who probably had nothing other than self-interest in mind at any juncture?
    It's not as if red dragons once roamed the plains of Llanrumney....

I always thought the egg chasers wore a kit but I was clearly wrong noting that they wear a uniform!

Not many signing it

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Aren't most of these type of symbols merely battle standards (and the like) originally adopted by rulers who probably had nothing other than self-interest in mind at any juncture?
    It's not as if red dragons once roamed the plains of Llanrumney....
    Doesn't the dragon come from an old myth?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Personally seeing its rugger,I'd like to see a bare arse with a flame shooting from it

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Not many signing it
    That's cos its bollocks, taffia thinking 'what can I blame on the English next'

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Personally seeing its rugger,I'd like to see a bare arse with a flame shooting from it
    Shouldn't they have a "sparkly hat" badge.

Our rugga players should all be playing in daffodil costumes...... Especially under rob howley

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    Our rugga players should all be playing in daffodil costumes...... Especially under rob howley
    Time to repost this Rob Howley satire video.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Time to repost this Rob Howley satire video.

First time I've seen that, fairplay had me in stitches watching it lol

Is Vincent involved ?? if he is tell him I already boycott a tedious sport that lost its soul many moons ago.

I heard the WRU are considering changing the jersey to blue.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I heard the WRU are considering changing the jersey to blue.
    I hear they might try play rugby.

Banned

I don't sign anything online you never know who might be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Well it's hardly based on fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Well it's hardly based on fact.

Not sure why the WRU adopted the three feathers in the first place but maybe because of ex-military connections within its committees and returning soldiers who had served in the British Empire abroad felt it more appropriate than the dragon.

I think the WRU are stuck with the emblem quite frankly.