+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new phone/driving laws

The new phone/driving laws

This was posted on Twitter by the Surrey Police to clear up questions about the new law:

Re: The new phone/driving laws

DRIVERS: Avoid getting prosecuted for using your phone while driving. Simply pop your mobile inside a large shell and the police will think you are listening to the sea.

Couldn't we simply create software whereby mobile phones are inoperable whilst moving above the running pace of a human? If we use Usain Bolt's pace then that should rule everyone else out.

They already track where we are / how many steps taken la de da de da

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    Couldn't we simply create software whereby mobile phones are inoperable whilst moving above the running pace of a human? If we use Usain Bolt's pace then that should rule everyone else out.

They already track where we are / how many steps taken la de da de da
    At first I thought hat is such a good idea, but then passengers wouldn't be able to use their phone either.
    Though thinking about it again, is that such a problem?

Of course a cynical view might be that zero money would be raised and alternative ways to penalise the driver would need to be sought.

You're still allowed to take calls/play music while driving, as long as it's in a holder.

It's all a load of bollox. They could bring back hanging as a punishment for using your phone while driving, but if there are no coppers on the road to catch anyone, people will carry on regardless.

I was behind a car on the M4 this afternoon that was all over the place, going over the lines a few times before suddenly swerving back into lane. When I overtook the car there was a young woman driving, she had a couple of kids in baby seats in her car, and was fiddling with her phone, sending a text or whatever.

And I'm sure we've all seen this, I do on a daily basis. But you just can't do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    You're still allowed to take calls/play music while driving, as long as it's in a holder.
    They can still get you on "due care and attention". Not that they will.

Assuming you are replying to my post Colonel, I was replying to Arfur's suggestion that a phone could be disabled if travelling above running pace, even a passenger's phone would be disabled.

By the way thank you for your attachment explaining that it is illegal to use phone sat nav without a holder which I have (perhaps naively) done on a few occasions with it just sat on the dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    It's all a load of bollox. They could bring back hanging as a punishment for using your phone while driving, but if there are no coppers on the road to catch anyone, people will carry on regardless.

I was behind a car on the M4 this afternoon that was all over the place, going over the lines a few times before suddenly swerving back into lane. When I overtook the car there was a young woman driving, she had a couple of kids in baby seats in her car, and was fiddling with her phone, sending a text or whatever.

And I'm sure we've all seen this, I do on a daily basis. But you just can't do anything about it.
    Radio 5 Live today was full of police people leaving as morale was at an all time low due to massive cuts since 2010 and everybody was stuck behind desks filling in paperwork. The revloutionist in me screams 'Yay'. Then I think, oh ****.

'Traffic Safe' cameras REPLACED traffic police. FACT. These revenue raising robots will not spot mobile phone use, drink / drug drivers, middle lane hoggers, dangerous driver etc, yet we've seemingly accepted them.

You really all should listen to 5 live from earlier today to realise what all these cuts have done to our public services. We seem to be just about ok right now. But I see problems everywhere shortly.

If everybody walked out then we possibly get the services we all need?

That screed stated that the penalty will double when a driver is caught. However, I would suggest that the penalty will be increased at a point in time and, possibly, before anyone is caught flouting the law.

Sure you can, take a photo of her with your mobile phone and send it to the ob

Then he would be breaking the law taking a photo while driving

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    First whoosh of the day.....

How come police can use radios (not the ones that take a cd and tune to radio 1 sort) whilst driving? If we all got them then we could still chat merrily away whilst driving around.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Have a dash cam fitted with dual lens, that'll capture them when they're behind you.
    I've had one fitted to capture the cretins who drive up you're arse.

noddy.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post

Any day that contains some Noddy is a day improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    How come police can use radios (not the ones that take a cd and tune to radio 1 sort) whilst driving? If we all got them then we could still chat merrily away whilst driving around.

Don't do as I do, "do as I tell you" Init !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post

Any day that contains some Noddy is a day improved.

Here you go then:---

b51c857d2300289093e6df8c4dacb072.jpg

Banned

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-badly.html

Ringing I think would be ok. As others have said police have radios.

It is the texting that takes up far too much of your attention. All eyes off the road and one hand on the wheel. Things like changing song on spotify as well.

Obviously they can't split them.

Do we get a cut of the fine?

It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone nicked in this way, made a claim against the *grass* photographer for a breach of the data protection act.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Have a dash cam fitted with dual lens, that'll capture them when they're behind you.
    I've had one fitted to capture the cretins who drive up you're arse.
    I have had one fitted for the wankers blocking the motorways in the outside and middle lanes. Tailgating is too good for those cretins.
    Last edited by Jimmy the Jock; 03-03-17 at 10:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I have had one fitted for the wankers blocking the motorways in the outside and middle lanes. Tailgating is too good for those cretins.
    The nation's motorway driving - I'll score 2/10.

On the M4 on Sunday, an absolute nightmare as the left hand lane became redundant with people sticking to the middle lane. I stick to 70 mph, and stick to the left hand lane unless I need to overtake. This often requires me to move two lanes to overtake (I refuse to undertake, although it is tempting), and two lanes to go back in.

The funny thing is, when the middle lane becomes clear, these same clowns move up to 80 mph and overtake me. Now, if they like doing that speed, why not move to the right lane to overtake the people in the middle lane slowing them down? Then you'll see the same car stuck in the middle lane again doing 65 as the middle lane gets congested. Again, requires two lane changes to overtake and two to get back to the CORRECT lane.

Someone on a forum I visited once argued that the left lane was for speeds up to 60mph, middle for 60-70 and right for 70+. Clueless. Most accidents happen during lane changes, and these clowns treble my lane changing requirements on long drives. They also, effectively, reduce the motorway to two lanes. I have flashed people (naughty me, but it gets frustrating) to move into the left lane when that is clear - but they are too petrified to do it. Where is their logic - if we all drove like that, you'd only need one lane!

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Do we get a cut of the fine?

It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone nicked in this way, made a claim against the *grass* photographer for a breach of the data protection act.
    I don't agree with this, the police time would be taken up by spurious complaints. I have a friend on Facebook who is constantly posting up "bad" driving, but the pictures/video show that his complaint is nonsense. He'd be in the station 3 times a day if this were allowed.