+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new phone/driving laws

Re: The new phone/driving laws

Driving today
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    The nation's motorway driving - I'll score 2/10.

On the M4 on Sunday, an absolute nightmare as the left hand lane became redundant with people sticking to the middle lane. I stick to 70 mph, and stick to the left hand lane unless I need to overtake. This often requires me to move two lanes to overtake (I refuse to undertake, although it is tempting), and two lanes to go back in.

The funny thing is, when the middle lane becomes clear, these same clowns move up to 80 mph and overtake me. Now, if they like doing that speed, why not move to the right lane to overtake the people in the middle lane slowing them down? Then you'll see the same car stuck in the middle lane again doing 65 as the middle lane gets congested. Again, requires two lane changes to overtake and two to get back to the CORRECT lane.

Someone on a forum I visited once argued that the left lane was for speeds up to 60mph, middle for 60-70 and right for 70+. Clueless. Most accidents happen during lane changes, and these clowns treble my lane changing requirements on long drives. They also, effectively, reduce the motorway to two lanes. I have flashed people (naughty me, but it gets frustrating) to move into the left lane when that is clear - but they are too petrified to do it. Where is their logic - if we all drove like that, you'd only need one lane!
    Driving today is an absolute nightmare, so many cretins on every road, motorway, A road, and even side roads, they don't give a f**k for anyone else.
    Courtesy is a thing of the past.

I don't agree with this, the police time would be taken up by spurious complaints. I have a friend on Facebook who is constantly posting up "bad" driving, but the pictures/video show that his complaint is nonsense. He'd be in the station 3 times a day if this were allowed.
    Yeah right.

The nation's motorway driving - I'll score 2/10.

On the M4 on Sunday, an absolute nightmare as the left hand lane became redundant with people sticking to the middle lane. I stick to 70 mph, and stick to the left hand lane unless I need to overtake. This often requires me to move two lanes to overtake (I refuse to undertake, although it is tempting), and two lanes to go back in.

The funny thing is, when the middle lane becomes clear, these same clowns move up to 80 mph and overtake me. Now, if they like doing that speed, why not move to the right lane to overtake the people in the middle lane slowing them down? Then you'll see the same car stuck in the middle lane again doing 65 as the middle lane gets congested. Again, requires two lane changes to overtake and two to get back to the CORRECT lane.

Someone on a forum I visited once argued that the left lane was for speeds up to 60mph, middle for 60-70 and right for 70+. Clueless. Most accidents happen during lane changes, and these clowns treble my lane changing requirements on long drives. They also, effectively, reduce the motorway to two lanes. I have flashed people (naughty me, but it gets frustrating) to move into the left lane when that is clear - but they are too petrified to do it. Where is their logic - if we all drove like that, you'd only need one lane!

I may be wrong (memory not what it once was) but wasn't that in the Highway Code back in the 1960s or early 1970s. I have a vague recollection of seeing that type of lane speed limit in some official information (I think the Highway Code but could have been a public information film) when I was learning to drive - 40 years ago. It isn't what the code says now - but at the time there was a shared 'understanding' by police and drivers that 70 mph was the top speed allowed and that was only for overtaking.

If overtaking in the outside lane was supposed to be at no more than 70 mph then by definition drivers in the middle or inside lane should be going slower. Up to 50 mph for the inside lane, up to 60 mph for the middle and up to 70 mph for the outside lane - but that was at a time when many motorways were new and fairly empty and half the cars on the road would struggle to reach the speed limit going downhill with a following wind.

Then again, I could have imagined all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I may be wrong (memory not what it once was) but wasn't that in the Highway Code back in the 1960s or early 1970s. I have a vague recollection of seeing that type of lane speed limit in some official information (I think the Highway Code but could have been a public information film) when I was learning to drive - 40 years ago. It isn't what the code says now - but at the time there was a shared 'understanding' by police and drivers that 70 mph was the top speed allowed and that was only for overtaking.

If overtaking in the outside lane was supposed to be at no more than 70 mph then by definition drivers in the middle or inside lane should be going slower. Up to 50 mph for the inside lane, up to 60 mph for the middle and up to 70 mph for the outside lane - but that was at a time when many motorways were new and fairly empty and half the cars on the road would struggle to reach the speed limit going downhill with a following wind.

Then again, I could have imagined all of that.
    you stick to the left unless you are overtaking and when you finish overtaking you move back to the left. that is it nothing else. how difficult is it???

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    you stick to the left unless you are overtaking and when you finish overtaking you move back to the left. that is it nothing else. how difficult is it???
    I know. I have read the Highway Code and follow it (most of the time).

How is your comment relevant to anything in my post? It isn't. It is as irrelevant as NewCo FC.

How is your comment relevant to anything in my post? It isn't. It is as irrelevant as NewCo FC.
    oh yeah well why dont u drive normal like everyone else not hard is it ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    oh yeah well why dont u drive normal like everyone else not hard is it ffs

Banned

How is your comment relevant to anything regarding the thread title?
    The thread is about using a mobile while driving so your story about driving like Miss daisy is not relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    How is your comment relevant to anything regarding the thread title?
    The thread is about using a mobile while driving so your story about driving like Miss daisy is not relevant.
    Because I was responding to the bit in Kris's post that I highlighted. About recommended speeds for different motorway lanes. My recollection from a long time ago is that this was similar to guidance/advice in the Highway Code at the time (but not now) or possibly in a public information film. kingbillyboy replied to my post, not to the thread, but ignored the content and context.

I hope this helps.

Banned

Because I was responding to the bit in Kris's post that I highlighted. About recommended speeds for different motorway lanes. My recollection from a long time ago is that this was similar to guidance/advice in the Highway Code at the time (but not now) or possibly in a public information film. kingbillyboy replied to my post, not to the thread, but ignored the content and context.

I hope this helps.
    You can't say Kingbilly was irrelevant when you were just as irrelevant.

You can't say Kingbilly was irrelevant when you were just as irrelevant.
    Really? I quoted Kris's post and highlighted the bit I was responding to whilst kingbillyboy quoted my post and then came out with a comment that was no response at all. If he'd just replied to the thread it would have been a fair comment - as a come-back on my post it wasn't.

Anyway, do you have any recollection of motorway lane speed guidance from the 1970s? Just to whet your appetite, I think Russell Slade might have been studying the Highway Code back then.

Banned

Really? I quoted Kris's post and highlighted the bit I was responding to whilst kingbillyboy quoted my post and then came out with a comment that was no response at all. If he'd just replied to the thread it would have been a fair comment - as a come-back on my post it wasn't.

Anyway, do you have any recollection of motorway lane speed guidance from the 1970s? Just to whet your appetite, I think Russell Slade might have been studying the Highway Code back then.
    I'm not interested in the speed guidance from the 70's

I'm not interested in the speed guidance from the 70's
    THEN YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM SON

i say waht i want when i want. stop harping on about newco shite you sound like one of those mental obsessed celtic fans

If someone is hogging the middle lane with nothing 200 yards in front or behind (apart from you) beep and flash them like feck until they get the message to get into the left lane. Thick kents.

It should be some sort of rule to have a quick 25-30 minute refresher test after a year or two for young drivers or those who are recently passed. The current test obviously doesn't allow learners on the motorway, and many kids I've spoken to don't have a clue why it's wrong to hog the middle lane. "I don't drive in the slow lane" is usually the answer.

Those seen consistently hogging the middle/outside lane (especially so called experienced drivers) should get fined immediately imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Driving today

Driving today is an absolute nightmare, so many cretins on every road, motorway, A road, and even side roads, they don't give a f**k for anyone else.
    Courtesy is a thing of the past.
    Don't get me started.

Hardly any car journey goes by now without witnessing at least one unnecessary incident ranging from 'mere' discourtesy or ignorance to full-on lunacy! And quite usually multiple - even in a relatively short run.
    I have not become Victor Meldrew. The driving experience has definitely changed. Attitudes have definitely changed. Definitely not for the better!

Ban them!!!! And only allow the smokers to smoke with their dirty smelly cancer sticks with the windows fully up.