+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement

Retirement

It's like voluntary or involuntary redundancy. Worst thing you could ever do for your physical and especially your mental health and wellbeing. Retire and become a burden on the state? - NEVER EVER RETIRE!!!!!

Re: Retirement

Retirement's OK. Haven't worked for 10 years. I do miss the office banter a bit, but two of my former workmates and "best friends" have since died.

I'm going to semi-retire soon. Reducing my hours by half and installing a shed in my garden that will serve as a mini-gym so that I will be fitter than I was sitting at a desk all week. A couple daytime language classes on top of that and Bob's your uncle. Looking after both the physical and mental well-being side of things (I hope!).
    Last edited by Taunton Blue Genie; 04-03-17 at 10:10.

Sorry to hear of your suffering.
    It has not gone unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm going to semi-retire soon. Reducing my hours by half and installing a shed in my garden that will serve as a mini-gym so that I will be fitter that I was sitting at a desk all week. A couple daytime language classes on top of that and Bob's your uncle. Looking after both the physical and mental well-being side of things (I hope!).
    BTW my reply above was for the OP, not your post!

Good for you.
    I semi 'retired' a while back and while it has been great, I chose to take on more work commitments recently, and that will ramp up further soon. See how it goes ..;)

Enjoy your plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Sorry to hear of your suffering.
    It has not gone unnoticed.
    Taunton Blue actually had a plan to semi retire. I wouldn't call that suffering???

Good for you.
    I semi 'retired' a while back and while it has been great, I chose to take on more work commitments recently, and that will ramp up further soon. See how it goes ..;)

Enjoy your plan.
    That's far better. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryJason View Post
    It's like voluntary or involuntary redundancy. Worst thing you could ever do for your physical and especially your mental health and wellbeing. Retire and become a burden on the state? - NEVER EVER RETIRE!!!!!
    I retired 2 years ago, and I can honestly say that I haven't regretted one minute. I left school at 15 and have been lucky enough to have never been without a job. I have a company pension, and I feel I'm quite comfortable, being able to run a nice car, take a holiday when I want, and it's great not to be on the clock. And I am NOT a burden on the state. I'm not getting my state pension yet, but when I do, it's my entitlement, NOT a hand out. Finishing work freed up a place for a younger man to fill, so really, I've done the state a favour.

Huge generalisation here.
    Plenty you can do post retirement.
    Pensions and planning for your twilight years is with you from day 1 after leaving school but many don't even get to enjoy their pension after driving themselves are being driven to an early grave.

Everything in moderation I say and that includes work and play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgoCm1hofM&t=670s

this is a very good watch regarding mental and physical health after retirement

Volunteer. You'd be keeping busy, giving back and without as mush stress as work.

Good for you.

Enjoy your plan.
    I will be earning half my current salary and a pension (not the state pension, I would add) equivalent to the other half.
    Same money, less work. Two and a half days a week. Marvellous.

I will be earning half my current salary and a pension (not the state pension, I would add) equivalent to the other half.
    AbsolutelyCan't fault it.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    AbsolutelyCan't fault it.
    When are you free for a ?

Blog Entries

I'm going to semi-retire soon. Reducing my hours by half and installing a shed in my garden that will serve as a mini-gym so that I will be fitter than I was sitting at a desk all week. A couple daytime language classes on top of that and Bob's your uncle. Looking after both the physical and mental well-being side of things (I hope!).
    Not getting rid of the beach bar are you?

The well off pensioners are exposing themselves well in this thread, the same ones championing remaining in the E.U, early retirements, nice standard of living ahead, no wonder they didn't want change!!!!.

Not at all. It's tiny but very popular. (Story of my life).

In fact, I have just got rid of two smaller sheds today in order to put in a larger, robust one which will be the mini-gym on my days off and an alternative venue to my beach bar (where I could put my gym equipment) when the weather is a tad inclement

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    The well off pensioners are exposing themselves well in this thread, the same ones championing remaining in the E.U, early retirements, nice standard of living ahead, no wonder they didn't want change!!!!.

Blog Entries

Not at all. It's tiny but very popular. (Story of my life).

In fact, I have just got rid of two smaller sheds today in order to put in a larger, robust one which will be the mini-gym on my days off and an alternative venue to my beach bar (where I could put my gym equipment) when the weather is a tad inclement

Come on chaps. Don't feed the troll.

Great discussion but may have hit a nerve with some. Retirement means more illnesses and disease as well as mental health issues. People become lazy as they feel it's the beginning of the end........

Great discussion but may have hit a nerve with some. Retirement means more illnesses and disease as well as mental health issues. People become lazy as they feel it's the beginning of the end........
    yer a ****ing arsehole pal

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    yer a ****ing arsehole pal
    I think that response tells us all we need to know about your extremely low level of intelligence and intellect. You may want to stick to more straight forward subjects as you may be able to contribute a little more.

Sounds amazing .
    Which part of the government do you work for ?

I think that response tells us all we need to know about your extremely low level of intelligence and intellect. You may want to stick to more straight forward subjects as you may be able to contribute a little more.
    Someone closer to your own intellect . Could be an interesting debate .